Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard Baiting Tool
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Donny01
posted
While I was sitting watching Boddington On Leopard PH Andrew Dawson made mention of a device that records the time the leopard had hit the bait by using a heat sensor? Does anyone have any further information on this device and how it works? What would one call this thing? And where can it be purchased?

Don

Don Jooste & Doug Duckworth

doubledproductionsdon@gmail.com
doubledproductionsdoug@gmail.com
doubledproductionstara@gmail.com

Double D’ Productions

One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Just ask your PH, he should be within a few minutes!! Wink

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I just use an ordinary (TT100) trail timer with the fishing line tied to the bait.

http://www.trailtimer.com/

FWIW. Article #14 here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...unting-articles.html might also be of interest.

One of Us
Picture of Donny01
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve

Thanks for the info. I have mailed them to find out where I can get in South Africa.

Double D’ Productions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder where the traditional ways of hunting
will end up?

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Or use a plain jane, stupid little alarm clock working with a penlite battery, attach the battery to the bait by means of a fishline, the cat pulling on the bait will pull out the battery of the alarm (obviously fixed to another branch), thus stopping the clock, and telling you what time the cat visited.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy a trail camera? The date and time are recorded, plus you'll have a picture...

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Donny01
posted Hide Post
If I am going to set up more than one bait, more than one trail camera will be required. I will be much more cost efficient to have the sensors up at several baits rather than camera traps.

Double D’ Productions

One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
Re; simple trail timer or battery pull- how often is a bait disterbed by more than one predator in one night?

Re
quote:
I wonder where the traditional ways of hunting will end up?

From what I read in archeological findings it seems that the most prevalent tradition in hunting has always been “resourcefulness”!

Admittedly these traditions were based upon survival not "sport" (which opens up a very broad field and typically plenty of room for everyone’s preferences.)

Best regards
Mike Ohlmann
Mike's Custom Taxidermy Inc.
4102 Cane Run Rd.
Louisville KY 40216
502-448-1309
Mike@mikescustomtaxidermy.com

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
A regular trail camera or two (preferably with infrared flash but not mandatory) can do wonders...

If positioned correctly the cameras will tell you when the cat got into the tree, what sex it is and when it started feeding.

Of course this is not a fail-safe method of predicting when the leopard will come in the following night but knowing when the preferred feeding time of a cat is has its advantages...

Posts: 855 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donny01:
If I am going to set up more than one bait, more than one trail camera will be required. I will be much more cost efficient to have the sensors up at several baits rather than camera traps.

Believe me - the cost of a few trail cameras is nothing compared to the satisfaction of getting your client his trophy...

Anyway, you needn't put the cameras up at every bait. Wait until one of your baits have been hit before setting up the camera at that particular bait.

Posts: 855 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Donny01
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris.

Double D’ Productions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot and edited Boddington On Leopard, never remember anything about heat sensors ???
We used a single event trail timer with good old fishing line. Agree though that trail cameras are the way forward.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Donny01
posted Hide Post
Dave

I imagined it was a heat sensor or something along those lines???? I have herd lots of stories about people using heat sensors at baits so excuse my ignorance.

Double D’ Productions