New
Find
Notify
Tools

buying a new rem. what cal.?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i'm buying a new rem maybe in the sps my choices are 375h&h 375 ultra mag, 416 rem i know nobody in the african game hunting cicles cares for the rem 700 pf's. sometime in the next century i hope to go to africa on a plains game hunt,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy your self the African Big Game Rifle. That has vertcial stack centre line feed so it will beat these other rifles for feeding reliability.

Get 375 Ultra which is the commercial version of Saeeds 375/404 and load it back like Saeed does to a bit over what a 375 H&H can do with primer pocket loosening loads Big Grin

If you have less momey to spend then just buy the Rem Stainless in 375 Ultra and get a centre line feed magazine for Rem 700 from HS Precision, amte of mine has them in his Rem 700s and they work perfectly.

Here is the ABG at Hendershots

http://www.hendershots.net/gunview.asp?GunID=191

Of if you have more money to spend just get the HS Precision rifle and that will give you the one piece bolt (something a M70 has not had for 40 years) and AR 15 type extractor and of course centre feed in line magazine.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you mentioned plains game, one of the 375s whould be best. If you handload, the 375 RUM is the most flexible, but if you don't there is nothing wrong with the factory Federal High Energy loading for the H&H when you need to reach out there and regular ammo when you don't.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your only planning a plainsgame hunt then why would you want a .375...A better choice would be a .338 with 210 Noslers or a 300 magnum with 200 gr. Noslers of some sort. They are both a bit flatter shooting and either is more than ample for any plainsgame, for that matter so is the 30-06...

Now if you just want a .375 then that's a difference story, have at it and enjoy it. It will work, no doubt about that...I'd use the extra money for trophy fees.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42146 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can understand why a fellow might want to stick to a rifle platform that he is familar with. But if using a pushfeed, I would DEFINITELY favor Sako over Remington for reliability, especially on an expensive African hunt.

Regarding the Rem African model, it is obscenely overpriced and will lose 2/3 of its value when you walk out of the gunshop door.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a .30-06, if you don't already have one, with 180gr. Swift A-Frames and go hunting. I used one on three of my four safaris.

If you feel you MUST have a larger cartridge, a .300 or .338 magnum is plenty.

As for specific model, get something that isn't shiny. Remington overcharges for their APR, AWR, etc., so your choice of SPS is fine. Just make sure you stress test the gun well in advance of your safari.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree completely with GeorgeS and Ray on this topic, as well as, 500s comments. Best wishes and good hunting.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one time I have to disagree with George. I feel the Remington Custom shop guns are an outstanding value. Most can be had at gun shops for under $1200 with tax. The Mcmillan stock on most of them alone is worth $400. You get a better trigger, match grade barrel with the bolt face and barrel squared to each other. Usually they come with a jeweled bolt as well. If you want to see obscenly priced Custom shop guns look at the price tag on the Winchesters Vs the standard guns. Winchester is about $1300 more than the Remington custom ! Eeker I especially like the 30-06 KS MTN rifles at under 6#. There is a shop near me that has the KS MTN in 300 ultra for $999.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The African Plains Rifle also has the all steel bottom metal.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poulsbo
Forget what these the killjoys say. Buy a 375 H&H. Sure a 30-06 will kill most if not all plainsgame and a 300 or 338 will work as well( after all dead is dead). But you need that classic african caliber, if just to take down, handle and say "One of these days we're going to Africa!". Keep the dream alive, get a 375 H&H.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poulsbo

What TerryR said is right...plus you will have 6 times as much fun as a 30/06....but get the 375 Ultra.

The bloke on this forum that shoots more big game than anyone else is Saeed, and he has a pair of 375/404 Improveds, which is simply the wildcat version of the 375 Ultra. And he shoots everything with them from those little tiny dog size antelope up to elephant.

And I will also bet that he if comes on this thread he will reckon a Rem 700 is just fine for Africa.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the .375 ultra up here in Alaska for the past 3 years. AWESOME GUN! IT is a Remington and it hasn't failed me, nor has my 8mm mag that I've used for 20 years. The ultra is impressive as I haven't had an animal take more than one step after being hit! It surely puts a hurting on anything you shoot at.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
poulsbo,

George and Ray gave you some good advice. There is no need for a cannon to kill plains game with. Something like the'06 thru 338 loaded with Nosler Partitions or another premium bullet will work just fine. If you have to buy a bigger rifle and you like the Remingtons buy a plain vanilla 375 H&H. It just works for everythng from grysbok to elephant and doesn't have the stunning recoil of the Ultra.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote