Find
Notify
Tools

Foreign service helmet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
We had a thread on pith helmets going a while back.
Then I stumbled on a photo a friend took of me wearing my foreign service helmet -- one of those $25 jobbies from Vietnam -- whilst shooting the Pedersoli Kodiak .58. I do think that a double rifle and a foreign service helmet make a fine match, and add bit of whimsey to the whole thing. We all could use a bit of whimsey in our lives, don't you think?

Big Grin

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16627 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Fun pic.

I like it.

beer

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
played with the color a bit

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I liken the last pic. An ancient and historic photo of one of the old ele hunters.

Mike shocker

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Good show Bill!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guys: Order one today, especially if you have a double rifle, or shoot a "Farkie."

– John Green, author

Posts: 16627 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill - Great photo and I like your whimsey. I own one of these foriegn service helmets, bought it on Ebay for $25 a few years ago. I've worn it on Halloween twice. They're great fun, and I've heard they're made from real pith.

They come with a one-size-fits-all vinyl headband that adjusts with velcro. There are two things you can do to make these helmets look better: 1.) Either get it as dirty as possible, or stain it darker with tea like the Brits used to do, or dye it a darker tan with Rit fabric dye. 2.) Take off the vinyl chinstrap they come with, and replace it with a REAL leather chinstrap and better quality metal buckle. NOW you've got yourself a helmet! I've redone the chinstrap on mine, and will be dying my helmet darker soon. Gee, now all I have to do is save up for a double-hammer rifle like yours!

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Molepolole: That's a very pious idea of yours to change out the final strap for a leather one. I'll do it!
By the way that Kodiak .58 has been swapped back and forth between me and Jeffeosseo ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Nice pic Bill. I am no photoshop expert but here is the same shot with the table/cooler or whatever is behind you edited out:

Now it looks like you are deep in the bush Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
We had a thread on pith helmets going a while back.
Then I stumbled on a photo a friend took of me wearing my foreign service helmet whilst shooting the Pedersoli Kodiak .58. I do think that a double rifle and a foreign service helmet make a fine match, and add bit of whimsey to the whole thing.

Bill I have one of each the rifle and helmet! I've had the Pedersoli .58 cal double for about 4 years and have never even loaded it! I traded a brand new un fired Ruger No1 chambered for .458 Win Mag for it!

What load and bullet are you using in your .58 double?

Great picture I might add!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mac: I no longer have that .58, but I have some conicals that Jeffe had made for it. I would be happy to send you some gratis. PM me your mailing information. The Pedersolis typically shoot nicely with patched round balls as well, with something like 120 grains FFg being very pleasant.
By all means, get your Kodiak running, and wear your FSH whilst shooting her!

beer

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks Cool to me. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Absolutely a stunning pic and a great thread! Am now wishing I had that combo. But, no. That would plagorize your great idea, Bill.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am now wishing I had that combo.

Yes, we can all be whimsical!

Posts: 20158 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see it as being highly practical.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote