Find
Notify
Tools

9.3X62 for Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,

Ever since I've been on AR I've heard about the 9.3x62 being a buffalo cartridge. What I don't remember is who said they had actually shot a buffalo with the 9.3x62. Of course Ray shot buff with it but he shot buffalo with everything over the 270 Win.

I have booked a friend in Zim for buffalo and he wants to use his 9.3x62 so I would be very interested in any actual first hand experience people have had with buffalo and the 9.3x62.

Thanks,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Thats a great question,i am eagerly waiting for some answers too.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not positive but I think it's the same guys who think the 458 win mag won't kill buffalo.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ganyana has been the PR front man for the 9.3x62 and buff.

It ought to do, if you can't find a .375 H&H. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
take the blaser CDP and no problems to kill a buffalo

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana and Kevin Roberstson ( "The Perfect Shot") have both used and recommended it for buff.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Coenraad Vermaak of CVS in SA still uses one for dangerous game backup.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess what I should have said is sport hunter experience. The thoughts of a highly expereinced PH are relavent but not what I was really looking for. For example I'd be very interested in what an average guy that had taken a handful or less buffalo might think of the performance of the 9.3x62. Where an experience PH might do very well with any marginally adequate round.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I saw a TV show recently where one of the guys shot a cow buffalo with a 9.3x74R, which is the same bullet at the 9.3x62 but at lower velocity.

The cow was feeding at about 50 yards and he shot her broadside. I seem to remember that she ran about 100 yards and laid down. They followed her up, put another shot or two into her and the hunt was over.

The last buffalo I shot (my 2nd) was in thick brush at 25 yards while he was facing me. I had a 416 Rigby. He was an old dugga boy traveling with one other old bull. In that situation (facing you, within 25/30 yards) I would want something bigger than a 9.3x62.

By the way, I think in "The Perfect Shot" the author suggested only using solids in the 9.3x62 when hunting buffalo.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have used the 9.3x62 in my blaser for two Cape Buffalo and a friend used it also on a buff. We used 300grn swift a frame softs and 286 grain Woodleigh solids.
The first buffalo shot with a swift a frame through the lungs travelled approx 80 metres and found dead.
One was shot slightly uphill and dropped on the spot with a solid as it came close to the spine, two more shots were placed.
One was shot at about twenty meters with a soft then with three solids this animal travelled about thirty meters and was visibly shocked especially when bone was hit.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Visualize the biggest FRieghtliner truck and a trailer load of cement blocks coming at you at 60 mph. A buffalo is as hard to stop as that truck. Think you could stop the truck with a pipsqueak popper like the 9.3x62? If you do you are delusional!

It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance

Posts: 249 | Location: kentucky USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe anything I have fired from the shoulder, including a .700 Nitro, would stop a "truck" but I believe a 9.3x62 would serve very well on buffalo. Is it optimal in a charge? No, but if 286 to 300 grains of bullet are placed right there wont be a charge. The 9.3 isn't my first choice for buffalo but it's still a very good choice. I certainly don't believe those who choose to use it are "delusional".

Tom

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well I guess then that a .35 Whelen with 275 grain ought to do it too.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Kevin (Doctari) Robertson has shot app. 650 buffalo with a 9,3 X 62, velocity 2300 to 2350 fps and 286 grain bullets. He recommends the RHINO bullet.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
Dr. Kevin (Doctari) Robertson has shot app. 650 buffalo with a 9,3 X 62, velocity 2300 to 2350 fps and 286 grain bullets. He recommends the RHINO bullet.

sunshin
Kevins rifle is a Brno ZG 47, that he bought from a man that had been working with Buffalo culling on a big farm in the south of Rhodesia.

Ken Stewart, one of the greatest African Hunters still alive has shoot hundreds buffalos with a 8x57, just because the ammo for his .470 Westley Richards was to expensive.. The .470 was used when he helped J A Hunter with black Rhion culling in Kenya...

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Another sterile caliber argument. If course a 9.3 X 62 "can" kill a buff, and so "can" a lot of other even smaller calibers. I think the hunters part is ensure that he take the animal as cleanly as possible with the least chance for inflicting a less than fatal wound. Going up the caliber/power/penetration scale, with proper bullet selection, should be the objective; stopping when you get to a cartridge you can't shoot well because of recoil and/or weight. Nothing like a wounded buff lurking in the tall grass to nail some unsuspecting villager because some ballistic theoretician decided he could take it with a 7X57 but had a bad shot angle/made a bad shot/didn't see the small twigs/etc.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:

Well that answers it all eh! And is well documented too!How can anyone argue with the "score on the board"?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
well I guess then that a .35 Whelen with 275 grain ought to do it too.

It could if it were legal, but it isn't, the 9.3X62 is!

I've taken Buffalo with a 9.3X74R, with outstanding results! The 9.3X74R and the 9.3X62 are balistic twins. The shooting of buffalo is not where the problem is! If placed properly no charge will occure, and if no charge occures, then any caliber that is legal will do fine!

Stopping a close charge on a buffalo is going to be a surgical BRAINECTOMY, or a spine removal. The only thing that will stop a chargeing buffalo is a CNS shot, and those are easier with a smaller rifle,useing solids, than with a heavier rifle that kicks like a mule! The heavier chambering may make you feel better till the brain, or spine is missed at ten yards, and you find yourself trying to recover from a Kick of a mule, to get off the next shot. Eeker

I believe, in the case of a charge, which isn't likely anyway, it isn't the rifle that matters as much as it is the shooter's ability to remain calm enough to shoot at a spot on the Buff, rather than just punch him where ever. Still in a close charge, I, personally, would like something a little bigger, but not so large that it takes too much time to recover from the first shot. Something like a 450/400NE, or a 450 NE 3 1/3" with a 500NE as that absolute largest. Of the three I've metioned my choice would be a good double chambered for a 450/400NE 3"! Low recoil, accurate for this type of shooting, and in a double rifle, the 450/400NE 3" is a MAGIC wand, on Buffalo! Two shots is all you will get in a close charge with a double, and one with a bolt rifle. The fact that the 9.3X62 comes in bolt rifles, would make it a hazard in a close charge, but the 9.3X74R would be my minimum, because it is almost always in a double rifle.

IMO, in the unlikely event of a close charge, the bolt rifle combined with a small chambering, is a drawback. With a bolt rifle my mimimum would be a 375 H&H with a 300 gr Nosler partition on top, folowed by as many 300 gr solids the rifle would hold! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Well, if it is any help, I asked John Sharpe about my daughter using a 9.3x62 for buffalo on a hunt we hope to put together with him. He felt that it was quite adequate for a visiting client, and that he would not have any problems with her using it.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote