THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Wildlife conservancies for Zanu-PF chiefs (Save Valley River & Mwenezi)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wildlife conservancies for Zanu-PF chiefs (Save Valley River & Mwenezi)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wildlife conservancies for Zanu-PF chiefs
http://www.thezimbabwetimes.com/?p=18445

June 19, 2009

By Owen Chikari

MASVINGO - Leading Zanu-PF officials here have grabbed land in wildlife
conservancies and caused an outcry among MDC supporters over the manner in
which the sanctuaries were allocated along partisan lines.

Environment and Natural Resources Minister Francis Nhema has reportedly
already approved the occupation of the sanctuaries by Zanu-PF officials and
top police and army officers.

Among the beneficiaries who have been issued with 99-year leases to the
sanctuaries is Masvingo governor and resident minister Titus Maluleke,
Higher and tertiary education minister Stan Mudenge, former Masvingo
Zanu -PF provincial chairman retired major Alex Mudavanhu, and Senator
Josaya Hungwe.

It emerged Friday that senior police and army officers have also benefited
from the scheme which has caused an outcry form the mainstream MDC party led
by Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai.

Nhema yesterday confirmed dishing out 99 year leases to people in Masvingo
among them top Zanu-PF officials in the province.

"We have always maintained that blacks have been sidelined from the
lucrative business of running conservancies hence were decided to give our
people 99 years leases to the properties ", said Nhema.

Asked to comment on the composition of the beneficiaries the minister said
they were the only people who were on the waiting list.

The allocations were made in the Save Valley River Conservancy and Mwenezi
Conservancy.

Mainstream MDC Mwenezi district chairman Charles Muzenda yesterday said a
letter had been written a letter to the ministry of Environment and Natural
resources protesting over the manner in which only senior Zanu-PF officials
were allowed to benefit.

"We are not happy with the manner in which everything was done ", said
Muzenda.

"If it is an issue of empowering the locals then no political affiliation
should be looked into before one benefits from such a scheme", he added.

Meanwhile, a senior Zanu-PF official Shylet Uyoyo yesterday appeared in
court facing assault charges in which she allegedly assaulted Tatenda
Chitagu a journalist with a local community news paper.

Chitagu, a reporter with the Masvingo Mirror a local weekly, was assaulted
allegedly for writing a story in which Uyoyo was linked to armed robbery
when her car was used as a gate-away car.

Not happy with the story Uyoyo who is the provincial chairperson in the
party's women's league allegedly stormed the Mirror offices and assaulted
Chitagu.

She told the reporter that he would not walk freely in Masvingo.

The matter was reported to the police and Uyoyo was arrested. Yesterday
Uyoyo asked for the postponement of the case arguing that her lawyer would
only be available on Monday morning.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9364 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have information on how this might effect those of us that have hunts booked there?

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I've made some inquiries and will post what I find out.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Who owns the Save? The hunting companies or is it Mugabe cronies who lease the land to those operators? Has the land just been taken from the hunting companies? Sorry that article didn't make a world of sense to me.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are multiple owners. Some of which are foreign as I understand it. Some big name people are some of the owners.

Before this article, it was not the political cronies. I don't know what this means.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
it means same bullshit, different day- a normal example of African politics. per usual for Zim, you better do your homework/research before booking a hunt there.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There goes the Save! I wonder what Gordon or Clive would say about it? I think I am done with Zim. I still have friends on the ground there but cant bring myself to give any support to the Zanu PF crowd.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
If this is true, it is terrible news for the wildlife.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Talk about a kick when you're down. thumbdown

I wish the best for the Save guys and gals.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The article isn't very clear and raises a lot of questions, not least amongst 'em, what parts of the conservancy are affected and the fact that the MDC appear to be complaining more about why only ZANU PF members got allocations rather than MDC etc rather than objecting to the seizures.

Hopefully one of our Zim members can let us know what this means both for the legal owners and hunters who are booked for those areas.......

It's probably gonna be bad news for someone though and whoever it is, they have my sympathy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is still in the begginning phases, they have not come on to the Conservancies and taken the land, we are still here and hunting. There are discussions taking place about this and we will keep you all posted on the outcome. They want to be partners in the companies, obviously the black list indaviduals will have to be spoken about, but as yet nothing has been signed by any land owners or these new 'partners' so no hunters are at risk for the time being, obviously it would not be in our interests either to have clients come out that cant export their trophies so this will all be known shortly after further discussion. Hope this helps you all.

Posts: 146 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 06 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am scheduled to leave September 29 for a 21 day hunt in the SAVE with Zambezi Hunters.

This is most disconcerting. It seems to me that there are multiple potential problems as follows:
1-Will the hunts be conducted?

2-If they are conducted, will the hunts be the same quality that we paid for and expect.?

3-Will any of the individuals on the "list" be involved?

4-For Americans, what is the penalty to us if some of the people on the list are involved? My understanding is that it is a felony. If so, I am not willing to risk this.

I have to say that as much as I love going to Africa, I am absolutely sick of this type of BS. In my last 4 trips, I have had:

1-The above situation.

2-The government canceling a hunt after the first day.

3-The Tanzania trophy fee fiasco.

4-The closure of lion hunting in Tanzania.

It seems to me that I have spent mountains of money to put myself in stressful situations all caused by some idiot African politicians.

I am really tired of this.

one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I hear you man. My family is schedule to leave July 20 to hunt with Zambezi Hunters. This news is not welcome at all. I have not been able to get in touch with Nina or Alistair for over 2 weeks as I am trying to finalize payments etc. This political BS just adds more to the problems with dealing with Zim.

crl

The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty; and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
larryshores and crl, I am not part of Zambezi Hunters, however they are colleagues here in the Save Valley and I can assure you that there is nothing different to what they have said would be, is going to be. If I may?

This is most disconcerting. It seems to me that there are multiple potential problems as follows:
1-Will the hunts be conducted? Yes hunts will be conducted as usual.

2-If they are conducted, will the hunts be the same quality that we paid for and expect.? Yes.

3-Will any of the individuals on the "list" be involved? No, there have been no signd agreements between any land owners and any new 'partners' so there is no legal side to this story .

4-For Americans, what is the penalty to us if some of the people on the list are involved? My understanding is that it is a felony. If so, I am not willing to risk this. As above, these people have not taken the land and selling hunts, they are not legal partners so there will be no change from what has been happening.

I have to say that as much as I love going to Africa, I am absolutely sick of this type of BS. In my last 4 trips, I have had:

1-The above situation.

2-The government canceling a hunt after the first day.

3-The Tanzania trophy fee fiasco.

It seems to me that I have spent mountains of money to put myself in stressful situations all caused by some idiot African politicians.

I am really tired of this. We agree with you sir and on our side are truley sorry for this type of BS. I would if I where you go on the trip and enjoy every minute of it and not worry about this articlce that has come up as it has a hundred holes in it.

Posts: 146 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 06 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
The article isn't very clear and raises a lot of questions, not least amongst 'em, what parts of the conservancy are affected and the fact that the MDC appear to be complaining more about why only ZANU PF members got allocations rather than MDC etc rather than objecting to the seizures.

It's probably gonna be bad news for someone though and whoever it is, they have my sympathy.

The first part of Shakiri's post is the crux of the real problem. MDC seems not to be decrying the apparently forthcoming taking or forced partnerships but the fact that their own were excluded.

I truly hope that is not the case.

I join Shariri in having sympathy for those affected.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would like to echo what Glenn Stockil said above. This is not the first time that the Save Conservancy members have had 'partners' thrust upon them and they have managed to deal with it in the past. In the meantime, the members have been working on a corporate structure for the whole Save Conservancy that will allow genuine 'indigenisation' and investment from interested black (and white) businessmen and entrepreneurs. They are trying to get this finalised and approved to prevent any enforced indigenisation. Those of us involved in the Save can keep people informed on how things develop but i do not see this affecting any of the hunting operations in the Save Conservancy and there is no need for people to worry at this stage about hunts they have booked.

Alistair

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
My guess is that the only worry hunters need have about this is the possibility of 'listed' people being forced on the legitimate owners as partners and how that might affect them as regards possible contravention of the Lacey Act. (which incidentally only applies to the Americans) ......... but as that hasn't happened yet and might possibly never happen, worrying about it is as useless as worrying about anything else that may or may not happen at some undecided time in the future.

The legal owners have my sympathy but I'm sure they're very experienced in dealing with these kind of matters and I don't reckon anyone should start panicking just yet.

Hopefully, bearing in mind that Mr Tsvangarai is currently touring the west with his cap in hand and looking for money, someone in Govt will realise this isn't the ideal time to pull this kind of stunt......... But then again, we are talking about Africa here! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spent at least three month a yr. in Africa for the last 8 yrs. an for one Im sick of the anti white africa for african bs. There hands are out wanting us to give them money food meds. and everything else under the sun and then because we are americans we are not doing enough. I was actualy told last yr by a group of people that the bombings where our fault. If we where not there the ragheads would not have bombed and kiled over 300 africans. Hey but its ok the bombers said WE ARE SORRY WEWANTED TO ONLY KILL AMERICANS. I could not believe my ears. (I asked one of the people. If a man through a rock at his house because I was there who's fault was it) he refused to answer me I dont think I will be spending any money in any counrty where Im looked at as a hundred dollar bill wearing a hat ever again. WE TIME TO GOT TAKE BLOOB PRESSURE MEDS!!!! Mad Mad

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

apole is Alistair Pole of Zambezi Hunters. Read what he wrote. Let's not panic. Gary Duckworth of Mokore Safaris told me that they had been approached about partnerships but he knew nothing of take overs or conservancy occupations. What I get from this is that business on the Save will continue as usual from the clients point of view.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope so.

The legal issues of having a person on the "list" become involved after I have booked but before the hunt scares me still.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What does this mean !!!

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was 06 when the Tanzanian government temporarily closed lion hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope this works out,but I am glad I am doing business in the Zambezi Valley. Bet my clients are too after reading this bad news, if it is indeed bad news. Booking is hard enough in this climate without having to worry about this type of thing.
These bastards are simply clueless. Hope there is a special Hell for these gentlemen.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
yea, that special Hell is called the Persian Gulf states where fine folks like Idi Amin are allowed to live out thier lives in goverment protected luxury. what you want to bet that uncle Bob eventually ends up in such a Hell.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD
Good point . Father Time must have lost Bob's number, as it seems his contract should be up pretty soon. Maybe the secret to a long life is not excersise and diet..It looks like stealing,corruption, and constant fabrication of the truth seems to keep his kind on the payroll for lots of years ! Lots of examples of that on the loose these days. Where's a good dose of colon cancer when you need one?

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is amazing the the old bastard is still alive.

The terror and suffering he has put the people if Zimbabwe through is unimaginable to me. Yet as desperate as their situation is, when I was there last October no one tried to get me to give them anything. They were polite, helpful and did their job. The people of Zim did not deserve this. I pray for the best for them. They deserve it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paniced? No! Pissed yes! I am sick and tired of watching the current "government" steal from hard working people. I have watched as several of my friends all lost their farms. These farms were all bought and paid for with cold hard cash,sweat and blood over the last couple of generations. Not one person can say these farms were given back to anyone. Lying cheating stealing bastards! I have watched my friends both black and white loose it all only to feed the coffers of the Zanu pf connected types. I wont support it period. I love Zimbabwe and for the most part the people. I wont be going back unless things change. I have always said we need to support those on the ground we are friends with. I just dont know how I can reconcile the two things anymore.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah well: I suppose that you either trust your PH to tell you the truth or obsess about it and ruin your health and hunt. Me, I am going to Zim later this year and if everything goes south on me, thats just the way it is.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be hunting the Save for 21 days starting on JULY 9,09. TOO LATE TOO WORRY. Will let all know re the experience with PH Dale Desfountain of Brooklands Safaris. I'm anticipating a great hunt....no word on problems yet.

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronxfats:
I'll be hunting the Save for 21 days starting on JULY 9,09. TOO LATE TOO WORRY. Will let all know re the experience with PH Dale Desfountain of Brooklands Safaris. I'm anticipating a great hunt....no word on problems yet.

I have hunted with Brooklands, with Dale as my PH for a 30 day hunt and a 35 day hunt.

These were hunting days, not counting travel days etc.

Both trips included time in the SAVE. Their camp and area in the SAVE is First rate.

Dale is a Great PH. He is kinda quiet until you get to know him.

I would recommend this.. just tell him, when he wants you to shoot, you will shoot. He is a most EXCELLENT judge of trophies.

His Trackers are very good.

You will have a GREAT HUNT.

He and his Trackers are a fun bunch to be around.

There are more animals in the SAVE than you can imagine. Eeker Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronxfats:

One more thing, since you are hunting with Donza [Dale], start walking as fast as you can for as long as you can.

He is a "Big ol Boy. Every step he took I had to take three. Big Grin

Also practice shooting off of sticks.

What game are you planning on hunting?

What rifles are you taking?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote