New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first 375!! Now what...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I just acquired one of my bucket list rifles, a Model 70 Super Express 375 H&H. I've been looking for the "right" one off and on for maybe a decade. I accidentally stumbled into a brand new one, built in 1985. And now the research begins! And all the sudden I have more questions than answers. I'm looking for guidance, maybe towards the proper books to read, or real world experience information.

Many folks have gone to Africa with only a 375 and have done just fine. Sure, its not the best cartridge for everything, but it can successfully do everything. That said, I already have many other cartridge options above and below the 375 that could do other things too. 470 Capstick, 416 Taylor, 350 Rem Mag, 300 Winchester etc. My questions are more towards which 375 bullets folks use for which application. I've been reloading for around 25 years, and can certainly adjust to what folks recommend.

1. Do folks use one .375 bullet for all game in Africa? For example, a 270gr sturdy bonded bullet for everything?
2. Does the answer to #1 change if taking multiple guns, for example a 470Capstick for the big stuff, and the H&H for plains game...
3. If using multiple bullets, do you try and get them to all zero the same? Meaning say a 300gr stopper and a 250gr spire, both using same zero @ different ranges.
4. On dangerous game, does the H&H follow suit with other big boomers, where the first shot is a "soft-point" [chest], and the remainder are solids [penetration]?
5. Factory ammo is out there. What do folks use?

I am curious what folks have to say about specific bullets. There are a LOT!
  • I have little experience with the Swift A-Frame, but its a proven winner. Does it qualify as a dangerous game bullet?
  • Nosler Partition, I have had decent accuracy success with them in smaller stuff, not great. Folks opinions?
  • What about a Barnes TTSX or LRX, I can see some BC value for longer range plains game. Anybody use them?
  • I've read mixed reviews of the Hornady DGS/DGX. I love smaller Hornady bullets. Any real world feedback?
  • There is some smaller stuff out there, 250gr and down, more like 375 Winchester bullets. Any value in an H&H?

Anxious to start learning with this new tool. Nothing booked yet, but I dream of two gun buffalo focused safari someday.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
  •  
    Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
    posted Hide Post
    You bought a push-feed m70?

killpc

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Barnes TSX, conversation over.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Stick with the 300 grain bullets. If you look at any ballistic chart you will see they actually drop less than the 270s.

Swift A frame is excellent. I have used them from Impala to leopard and buffalo.

Maybe they had problems in the beginning but I just used the Hornaday DGX in my 470NE, great performance, as good as Swifts.

Posts: 2538 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Barnes TSX 300gr bullet in the Barnes Vortex loading.

Do not complicated this. Use one bullet for everything except elephant.

I do not like the Hornaday bullets but that is just my "like" for the Triple Shock bullet.

A-Frames work well too....

For a second gun, .300 HH or .300 WM or 7mm Rem or something similar.

Most important - learn your gun and learn to shoot it well.

Posts: 10179 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Wesheltonj
    posted Hide Post
    I have two different loads (1) PG - Norma Oryx 300g (2) DG - Norma Woodleigh 350g.

I don't worry about Push v CFR. The US military has been using the push feed against the most dangerous game known to man, another man with a firearm shooting back.

Posts: 754 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of buffybr
    posted Hide Post
    I actually traded the .375 H&H Rem 700 Classic that I had bought for my dreamt about 1st African hunt for a Rem 541 T .22 LR. I then bought a .375 RUM Rem SS Model 700 for my 2nd African hunt. A cape buffalo was at the top of my list for that trip and I used my 300 gr Barnes TSX handloads for a variety of animals from a Chobe bushbuck to my buffalo. Those bullets worked great and most animals were one shot kills.

A few years later I again took my .375 RUM to Africa, that time with 270 gr TSX bullet. On that trip I took another variety of animals from Steenbok to Common Eland, and again the Barnes TSX bullets worked great, with mostly one shot kills out to 348 yards on a Gemsbok.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I have tried the 300 grain TSX, the 300 grain A aframe, and the 300 grain Trophy bonded. All held up fine and killed lots of game for me.

The TSX was the most consistently available reloading component bullet, so I ended up there.

I’ve also used Barnes, Trophy bonded, and North Fork solids. The trophy bonded factory load shot to the identical POI as my TSX load, so that is where I am at for the .375 H&H.

I have used the 270 grain and 300 grain hornady bullets. They did not hold up well, although they were accurate. I would use them on deer or elk. They came apart, but the core went through the pig I shot with it. They are cheap enough that I use them as practice ammo bullets.

When I first started I used factory ammo to get the brass. I killed quite a few animals with factory, as well as hand loads. My handloads are minimally faster and more accurate in my rifle… but they didn’t have materially different killing effect.

If you are going factory, Federal and Swift ammo worked great. I never tried the Barnes factory ammo, but their bullets are reliable.

I will say I have had an easier time getting the TSX (in multiple calibers) to shoot well than either the a frame or partition bullets if handloading.

Posts: 10639 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I have used the 300 gr TSX and Barnes Banded Solid (I still have some) for both plains game and Buffalo with great results, my rifle (Win 70) shoots them to within an inch of each other at 100 yards. I see no need to try any other bullet in this rifle. But, I practice with and shoot pigs with the cheapest bullets I can find, they work, too!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2764 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Same as K Evans. Barnes 300 TSX and 300 Solids. Hand loaded the solids to shoot the same as the TSX. Used them in Zimbabwe this August. Beautiful expansion. Elephant, buffalo, eland, giraffe and impala.

Posts: 463 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Roberts,
    Enjoy your new rifle and don't worry about the naysayers about push round feed. I've hunted with both and never had a problem with the push round feed if you close the bolt with authority.

Posts: 10032 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
    Administrator
    posted Hide Post
    I have been hunting Africa for over 40 years.

Tried all sorts of calibers.

Finally settled on a 375 years ago and never regretted it.

Push feed rifles I have plenty of.

Never had any problems with them either.

Use your gun.

Practice with it.

Use one bullet and one load.

I suggest a 300 grain mono bullet.

That is what I use.

Works perfectly on everything!

www.accuratereloading.com
    Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67000 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Flipper Dude
    posted Hide Post
    Yep. What he said. Barnes 300g TSX for everything.

Posts: 261 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Todd Williams
    posted Hide Post
    Barnes TSX 300gr.

One of Us
    Picture of ledvm
    posted Hide Post
    The 300 gr TSX might be a bit hard for leopard otherwise it works great and its my 99% bullet choice.

I always load some 300 gr Cutting Edge Bullets solids for occasions, which come up, where a solid is needed.

If I am going to sit for leopard with my .375…I like some Nosler Partitions. I have always been able to get the 3 to shoot to the same POI.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Labman
    posted Hide Post
    I like to keep things simple. I use the 270 Gr. Barnes TSX propelled by a max charge of RL-15. Chrono says this load goes 2744 fps from my gun. It's my do anything load for Africa. Will handle anything from a Duiker to a Cape Buffalo. It would certainly work for anything in the US as well.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
    Administrator
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ledvm:
    The 300 gr TSX might be a bit hard for leopard otherwise it works great and its my 99% bullet choice.

I always load some 300 gr Cutting Edge Bullets solids for occasions, which come up, where a solid is needed.

If I am going to sit for leopard with my .375…I like some Nosler Partitions. I have always been able to get the 3 to shoot to the same POI.

I have many leopards and lions with both the Barnes X and my own Walterhog bullets.

Both worked perfectly!

www.accuratereloading.com
    Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67000 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    300gr Barnes here as well.

If there's a chance at buffalo or ele, I will throw in a half-dozen solids. Here I have used the old Hornady 300gr RN solids (lead core) with good success.

I have various Hornady & Nosler softs from my initial load development with the rifle. Fortunately they all land in the same group from my M70. So those go for practice ammo & maybe for PG, but just bacause I have a bunch of 'em.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I agree with Labman. The 270 TSX is my go to 375 bullet. You don't need anything else other than a few solids for the little guys or elephant.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
    MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
    7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
    Office 702-848-1693
    Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
    E-mail markttc@msn.com
    Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Barnes TSX 300 grain works for most anything. If elephant and hippo in mix use a solid like the old Barnes solid or the Cutting Edge Banded solid. Enjoy your rifle . If you put the bullets where they need to go you will take all you shoot at.

One of Us
    Picture of ledvm
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Saeed:
    quote:
    Originally posted by ledvm:

I have many leopards and lions with both the Barnes X and my own Walterhog bullets.

Both worked perfectly!

I would shoot a leopard with a 300gr Barnes TSX without hesitation…if that is what I had. I was just saying ideally…they might be too tough. A Nosler Partition I believe a better choice for a dedicated leopard hunt.

But I defer to you Saeed…you have more experience than anyone alive today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of DLS
    posted Hide Post
    Like most others here, I shoot only 300 grain bullets in our (our being my son and I) 375 H&H’s. We like TSX, Bearclaw and A-Frames, Nosler Partitions are good too. For solids I like Cutting Edge.

Fortunately, our rifles group these all well together, no matter which bullet is used. The load we use is 70.0 grains of RL15, which you’ll find is a pretty common load.

I leave in a month for Cameroon with only my 375. I’ll be shooting both Trophy Bonded Bearclaws and TSX. Eland are herded up with the rut, so Alan wants me to use a Bearclaw first to lessen chances of a pass through. TSX’s after that.

Posts: 3857 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Austin Hunter
    posted Hide Post
    I use a 250 gr TTSX for plainsgame hunting and 300 gr TSX for bear/DG. (Though I switched to my 404J for African DG about 10 years ago).

I'd start with a 300gr TSX. If that doesn't group well, try Aframes, Woodleighs, and Northforks. Some folks are big fans of 350 gr bullets for DG.

I use Norma 203B, but Varget works equally well.

Don't worry about the pushfeed - all modern military rifles are push feed and hunt the most dangerous game in the world - man. I had a Ruger RSM (CRF), replaced with a Mauser M03 (push feed).

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote