New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping trophies from Nambia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I completed a succesful hunt to Namibia this spring and the trophies were prepared by a reputable taxidermy firm in Otjiwarango. They have billed me and now they are ready to ship to US. Does anyone on the list have any thoughts or input on shippers, importers, etc?
I would imagine that the taxidermy firm has people they use but want to make sure that I am not taken to badly on the shipping charges or to help eliminate any snags on the shipping? No full body mounts or big items, just a couple of skull mounts and some hides. They will be coming to Las Vegas, NV.

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I used Pam Foerster with International Air Cargo Services in Windhoek to get everything shipped out. Maria Felix with Hunter International took care of the receiving, cleared customs for me, and shipped the trophies to my house. Both are great ladies and a joy to do business with. I'm sure I'll use Maria again to take care of my trophies from RSA.

Pam Foerster
International Air Cargo Services
Tel 011 264 61 255333
Fax 011 61 230700
davidson@namibnet.com

Maria Europa-Felix
Hunter International Brokerage Services, Inc.
1633 Bayshore Hwy, Suite 337
Burlingame, CA 94010
Tel 650-652-0100
Fax 650-697-0687
E-mail: meuropa@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Yep, they are the ones to use.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
BJB:
A timely question for me.
My Namibia trophies were to be delivered to Anchorage today, after several delays.
Here's the story:
We used Harald Preschal of Namibia Safari Services in Windhoek as the broker on that end. I'm going to receive the trophies on this end.
Cost for 9 shoulder mounts, 4 skulls, and 3 tanned hides , $5119US.
Breakdown-----$688, freight from taxidermy to Windhoek, vet. certificate and broker fees.---- Insurance $177.---- Airfreight $4253.
The trophies were to be shipped from Windhoek on 10-11, arriving in Anchorage 10-17. Never happened.
Trophies were received in Frankfurt on 10-14, sat on the ground until 10-20. They were to have arrived in Anchorage today at 2:25PM. I don't know if they got there or not. 7 days total from Frankfurt to Anchorage by air.
Harald did his job just fine as far as I know. The delay was caused by DELTA AIRLINES. I will lodge a formal complaint with them about the long delay. I paid for airfreight not ocean freight.
If you decide to accept your own trophies, be prepared to deal with idiots.
You will of course have to deal with the Customs folks.
Any trophies imported has to be cleared with USFWS with Form 3-177a.
If you have hog trophies, you deal with US Dept.of Ag.
Any baboons, you deal with Center for Desease Control.
In dealing with the above Agencies, I found out they don't know much.
One Doc at CDC says, yes I need a permit for baboon, other Doc says, no permit necessary.
After hours on the puter and phone, I advised them where the rules were on their forms for importing baboons/hogs. They finally agreed I was right, no permit needed if the baboon is chemically treated.
What a circle jerk. Typical guvment crap.
My final conclusion.....If all your trophies are tanned,(chemically prepared), the only permit you need is a Vet. Cert. from the country of export and a USFWS form 3-177a. All you have to do is convince the feds of this fact!
I'll bet every port of entry is different.
The next time will be easier!
Good Luck.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote