New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arno Bernard Knives
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anybody have any and if so how do you like them? What model do you have? Do they hold a edge and are they durable? How do you like the sheath?

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Rhino from him in Dallas.
Have not used it yet, but it sure feels good in my hand.
The sheath may be a little long, but I still like it.
It's already on my safari belt waiting for July to get here.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I have 7 of them, most with mammoth ivory scales. I buy one or two every convention. I've carried them in Africa, around the western US in the north - BC and Alaska. They are very durable and hold an impressive edge. I just had the collection out this morning as I'm having a sheath made for one at SCI and I need to take it with me. In my opinion, the sheath is the weakest part. They are all buffalo hide and tough enough, but not fancy. Some fit the knives better than others. With some use, though they tend to get very nicely broken in to a particular knife.

I recommend them highly. They are a lot of knife for the money for sure.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted Hide Post
Forgive me for diverting from topic but what do you typically use your knife for on safari i.e. if I was to make one, what tasks should it be designed for? Butchering your buffalo, butchering smaller game, woodcarving, shaving?

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I'll use mine for cutting twine, or light brush when hanging baits. Frequently, I'll allow the guys to use it when field dressing game. Generally you won't need one for butchering game yourself. I get a lot of use out of a knife and always carry one.

Sometimes I'll even use it to cut vines or brush when stalking game.

I took an Arno Barnard last year with Giraffe scales, and allowed the guys to use it to butcher skin and quarter a giraffe. I thought that was pretty neat.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote