THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The Best Place Bar None for Leopard/Buffalo

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Best Place Bar None for Leopard/Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted
Where is the best place in all of Africa, aside from Tanzania, to successfully hunt these two assuming 2 weeks vacation?

Post edited to remove Tanzania from contention. Big Grin

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
That's a tough question that will generate a lot of different answers. As for me, I would suggest Maswa. Then again, it might not work with your 2-week limitation. You've knocked out all of Tanzania with that.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I think Safari Trackers allow you to put 1 cat on a 16 day but not sure. If so I would think a 16 day in Lokisale would be up there.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You can leave after two weeks if you want, you'll just have to pay the government portion of the 21 day fee in Tanzania. Check with PH's about the real possibilities for a given area. There is a least one PH who hunts on an unfenced (on the Kruger side) property who can probably do both. It might not be the conditions you are looking for however.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does "successfully hunt" mean a kill, a fantastic trophy (per SCI or R&W), or a great trip or all of the above?

Posts: 10277 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Does "successfully hunt" mean a kill, a fantastic trophy (per SCI or R&W), or a great trip or all of the above?

Yes. The best opportunity at all of the above.

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spring:
That's a tough question that will generate a lot of different answers. As for me, I would suggest Maswa. Then again, it might not work with your 2-week limitation. You've knocked out all of Tanzania with that.

I did that on purpose. I've seen those rates. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DennisHP,
I have read a lot about the Save Conservancy in Zim. You may want to contact Shaangan or Whittall or the others that are in that area.
Good luck. I am awaiting other folks answers as well...

Posts: 10277 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently spoke to a hunter back from the Save. He said that they daily had to "back off" herds because they were near the borders of that particular concession.There were not buffalo on the concession every day. It seems that there are several ownerships and that some are not all that large. Perhaps someone in the know could lay out the different ownerships and area sizes.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would select Dande in Zim for leopard and buff---hands down!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about Lemco? There were some huge cats taken out of there last year. Big buff as well.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Muchinga Adventures, along the North Luangwa River of Zambia. Operators are Johnny DuPlooy and Allistar Norton. Since Zambia re-opened, they are 32 for 32 on leopard and there are plenty of Buffalo. This can be booked through Mark Young or John Barth. This is an excellent choice.

See: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/227105265

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Muchinga Adventures, along the North Luangwa River of Zambia. Operators are Johnny DuPlooy and Allistar Norton. Since Zambia re-opened, they are 32 for 32 on leopard and there are plenty of Buffalo. This can be booked through Mark Young or John Barth. This is an excellent choice. and every bit as expensive as Tanzania jerry

See: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/227105265

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13266 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nyakasanga concession in the Zambezee Valley would be a good bet on a two week hunt. The area has good buff and leopard and you won't go broke hunting there.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Save Conservancy, hands down winner! Lots of BIG cats and plenty of buffalo. Call Shangaan Hunters.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can offer you a very good hunt in Botswana. The buffalos are good, we are using the Idaho hounds on the leopards in either the Tuli Block or Kalahari areas. 100% on the leopards since we have been using these dogs. 14 day booking is not a problem.
Jerry

Jerry Meyers Expeditions
254 Fourth of July Cr.
North Fork, ID 83466
(208) 865-2449
hunts4u@centurytel.net

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you have just a 2 week vacation - if so you're looking to a 7-10 day hunt, cause the rest of the time will be spent traveling. You really need 3 weeks to do a 14-16 day hunt

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
butchloc, you are correct. I should have stated 14 hunting days. Looks like I've got a few choice choices already! Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

If you leave Tanzania completely out of the picture the next best place to do a leopard/buffalo combo is the Luangwa Valley of Zambia in my opinion. The leopard numbers really are amazing. I've personally done 2 full bag safaris there and both times I've seen leopards in daylight that were not on bait. Buffalo are plentiful, of good quality and should come quite easily in the course of a 14 day safari. A bonus here is the availability of croc and hippo in the Luangwa plus the unique plains game species such as Cookson's wildebeest and puku.

A second choice for me would be the Zambesi Valley in Zimbabwe. Depending on the area the leopard success is probably not going to be quite as good here as in the Luangwa. The buffalo can be very good with trophies in the mid 40's although not common being taken every year. The bonus for some here is the ability to book a hunt in complete uninhabited wilderness.

A third choice and one offering a different kind of leopard hunt is in the lowveld of Zimbabwe. Here the hunting would be at night as opposed to the other hunts that are by daylight only but you don't have to sit up in the blind waiting for the cat. You sneak into the blind once the cat is feeding. Buffalo quality is very good and plains game hunting can be incredible. It is not as wild an experience as the others I've mentioned but you could kill a real "toad" of a leopard here. Success could run 90% on toms from 130-180 pounds and bigger have been taken.

In summary each one of these hunts offers some distinct advantages and disadvantages. Zambia is more expensive but I think the best overall choice. The Zambesi valley can offer pure wilderness at a lower price but game densities maybe lower. Zim lowveld is cheaper than Zambia and has great hunting although it may not provide the wildest of total experiences.

I'm sure others have different ideas but the above is how I see the best choices for a leopard/buffalo combo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12932 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

If you leave Tanzania completely out of the picture the next best place to do a leopard/buffalo combo is the Luangwa Valley of Zambia in my opinion. The leopard numbers really are amazing. I've personally done 2 full bag safaris there and both times I've seen leopards in daylight that were not on bait. Buffalo are plentiful, of good quality and should come quite easily in the course of a 14 day safari. A bonus here is the availability of croc and hippo in the Luangwa plus the unique plains game species such as Cookson's wildebeest and puku.

Mark

That would be my first choice for a Combo Leopard/Buffalo hunt, and as Mark says the bonus is the PUKU, and Cookson's wildebeast!

I have never been to the Luangwa Valley that I didn't see Leopard, and the Buffalo are fine, and pleantiful as well. If your interested in Lion there are some well mained lion there as well!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark....you are Killin' me!!! Those 2 you mention are the 2 you sent me the info on. Guess we'll be chattin' in Reno.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

I look forward to seeing you in Reno.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12932 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Mark re the Luangwa Valley of Zambia. I hunted buffalo and plains game there 8 years ago. Twice, we had VERY nice leopards stroll across the trail within 40 yards of us, in broad daylight. Both hunters in camp #2 took real nice lion and leopard while I was there. Also, the three of us shot good buffalo, although I had to work some for mine.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote