New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats a good elephant?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would you say is a decent elephant these days? Like I know with Buffalo a 40" mature bull is considered the benchmark and anything over is a bonus.

Of course this is genralizing and I know it all depends on the country and area, but still !!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reddy375

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
I took a bull in Zim Matetsi unit 1 this past July 06 that was 56 right side and 49 left side,game scout and PH estimated him at 45 yrs. old give or take a few yrs. I was proud of him and will cherish the memory of that stalk/hunt for the rest of my life. I think these day anything over a 50 lb average per tusk would be considered good.We stalked a bachelor group of 4 bulls.The best had a right tusk of at least 70+lbs according to the scout and PH the left tusk was broken at the gum line.He had a lot of character but I chose the second best bull due to the fact he had 2 fairly even weight and length tusk. From what I can gather if you are considering an ele hunt you will most likely get to make a similar "game time" decision while in the field.There was a guy from Michigan hunting from the same camp but not with our group and he took a 30lb bull on his last day of a 16 day hunt (our 3rd day) and was happy. To each his own.Anyway thats my .02 for whats its worth. Once you hunt ele you will want to hunt them again at least I can't wait to go back in 08 only this time it will mostly be the Zambezie Valley.

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
What would you say is a decent elephant these days?

One that does not charge you from behind when you are not looking.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
A good elephant is anything over 200 lbs. But that is for both tusks. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i shot a bull going 67/70 pounds and im extreamly happy with it.......but now all i wanna do is hunt tuskless cows.....more bang for your buck....

if any one is interested i have a set of smaller 50 pound tusks for sale. mounted on solid oak bases.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
R375,

A good ele is the one you hunt for and decided on...Close the distance and get up real tight or as close as possible and realize you are hunting an animal as old or older then you and look on it as a privlege...
I have shot two bulls one at 30 feet & the other at 30yds... The second bull, I was privleged to harvest has 65 lb ivory...I look at him as a lifetime achievement....

link if not visible

http://picasaweb.google.com/retreever/TanzTest/photo#4964445742281785362

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
As I sit here writing this I'm looking at a set of tusks in a cradle on the coffeee table in the den. They have copper and silver caps on the end and I can remember every detail of the day that I shot the bull carrying them. Are they 'decent' , probably not by some of the standards here, but to me they are the most memorable trophy I've ever shot. I'm not a 'trophy' hunter and never have been. The only trophies I have are 2 Zebra rugs and the tusks and a couple of SMALL (under 10") warthog tusks. Only you can determine what is 'decent' to you. Any man who hunts an Elephant and brings the tusks home has a 'decent' trophy. Incidentally mine weigh 47and 43 .

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tusk size is a factor of age and genetics. So in Zim, anything over 40 is considered a trophy. 50 Is outstanding for Zim. In Botswana, the other end of the spectrum, they don't even think about shooting unless he will go over 60 and 75 is considered excellent.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ,
What is the average cost (excluding airfare to Africa) of the hunt comparing the two countries? I would assume Botswana is more expensive but by how much? Can a Bull Ele hunt with a reputable PH in a good area be had for under $20,000. If a person can only afford X amount for his one-time hunt then whatever he shoots is an acceptable bull, in my opinion.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
woodrow i have hunted bull elephant in botswana and if you want to hunt trophy bull elephant your looking at 26,000$ min going up to 50,000+

i hunted with safaris botswana bound and there trophy bull elephant safaris are about 28,000+
for a 14 day safarie

one of us
posted Hide Post
i say book with buzz charlton and dont look back....he will put you on a real good elephant for the money your looking at spending.

and even better id hunt 2-3 tuskless cow elephant or pac bulls for that money......more bang for your buck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your comments. I have shot a cow elephant and now want to shoot a trophy bull and get it out of my dreams. I realize especially that in this day and time where no one is going to shoot a lot of elephants everyone of them is very special.

Bill, I will think of you when I shoot the 200lb Smiler

I have to say they are unlike any other animal to hunt. Simple awesome!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reddy
IMHO
I think any bull elephant is a trophy.
In todays Africa anything over 40 lbs is a very good Trophy.

Since I will not be selling my Ivory by the pound, even a 30 to 35 pounder with pretty Ivory is a decent Trophy.

I really enjoy shooting cow elephants, and PAC bulls would be fun too... However there is NOTHING like being home and being able to touch your "own" Ivory.

Pounds and Inches are only important to the record books.

The REAL Trophy is in the HUNT and in your memory.

There is NO hunting like ELEPHANT hunting.
Nothing else even comes close.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2006, Johan Calitz was charging (and getting...to the tune of over 40 bulls) circa $40K and over $2K per day in Bots last season, if memory serves. So figure $70K for a 14 day hunt.

In Zim, for trophy elephant (circa 40 lbs), our rates are $850/day plus $12K. Total $24K, about half to one third of the Bots rate.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My good friend, Steve Malinverni, asked what is a “nice†elephant. It is a representative animal in the area that you are hunting which you've “earned.†My bull will be better than many and perhaps not as good as some that will be taken in Salambala this year. He was an old animal, at the close of his breeding life if he had not already reached it. In sum, he was a worthy old bull which was what I sought. The taking of his life provided needed meat to the surrounding community. Much of the money I paid in daily fees was spent in the community for food and gas and to secure the hunting rights in the conservancy. The trophy fee went to support the conservation activities of the conservancy and provide some money to the people living in the area. The old bull gave of himself not only to our community, but to his too.

The unofficial weight was 46 and 52. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kadude
A true Trophy... In every way.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Well said, kudude.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a good elephant is any elephant i'm hunting, weight of tusks varies from area to area so its a very vague question, but for me anything over 50 is cool, if i saw a 100 pound elephant i'd just take pictures, to me shooting an old bull that big just isnt cool, like a black rhino they are too rare, infact i have seen a black rhino up close and personal and nothing close to a 100 pound elephant

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote