Find
Notify
Tools

looking for links . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted
If anyone knows of links to good “hunter-in-conservation” web sites, please respond with them.

I have returned to college to complete a web master certification. One of the “basket-weaving” type classes, not totally related to web design, requires a PowerPoint presentation at the end of the semester, on a topic of my choice.

Since I have five years of photos from Africa, I thought I would create a presentation in which I can incorporate them. The project needs a narrow focus, so I thought I would use the idea that hunters are the reason that animals thrive, not the reason for their demise.

I have a few paragraphs that I wrote on my husband’s website (http://www.brewersafrica.com/conservation), but clearly that’s not sufficient for a full-length presentation with audience handouts, etc.

Are there any good websites out there with data on the positive impact that hunting has on the wildlife, local economies, etc?

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sue,

Suggest you google/check out the Namibian Professional Hunters Association website and African Hunter magazine. Safari Club International also publishes on this matter in their magazine. Believe a google with terms that include a given country e.g., Namibia, GDP and hunting might yield the odd graph suitable to paste onto a powerpoint slide. Sounds an interesting project that you might publish a link on this board, too once you've completed it.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sue,

These might help you with your research?

http://www.shakariconnection.c...m-sport-hunting.html

http://www.shakariconnection.c...hant-management.html

http://www.shakariconnection.c...lephants-in-knp.html

Feel free to e-mail me at shakari3@mweb.co.za if you we can give you any further info. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sue,
I hope you post your presentation, or a link, when you're done!

Posts: 41 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you all. I will spend numerous weeks researching and piecing this thing together, in between everything else I've got going on.

When it's done and presented in April, and if I'm NOT too embarrassed about the quality, I'll put it up on my husband's web site and post a link here.

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Sue,

If you are doing a power point show, nothing speaks louder than photos of meat being delivered to villages, or lines of people waiting to get their "slice" of a recently harvested Elephant.

Couple this with an explanation of how this keeps the villagers from indiscriminate poaching and how the money goes to help build schools, wells, hospitals etc. Tie it together by explaining how the monetary value of the animals helps the people conserve the animals instead of destroying them.

Good luck with your project.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RR4hunt
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great project, would be great to see the final product.

Some advice: most websites are copyright protected so be sure to check with the owner of the site before copy and pasting text and pictures.

Posts: 43 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please do share the project with us. There are so many benefits not only to the game but the people, both those associated with hunting and many others on the fringe. I'd also like to hear how your presentation is received at the college!

BTW, we're neighbors you know, I'm just across the river in MD.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd also like to hear how your presentation is received at the college!

I am fairly certain, judging by the ladies I've met in the class, that it will be a "shock and awe" presentation. But that's the challenge. I could have chosen a safe topic (like cake decorating) and presented a simple "how-to" series of slides, etc. No convincing or persuasive arguments would be necessary. BORING!

This presentation topic will allow me to share my views and use my own pictures. I hope to stick with those that are as blood-free as possible - my purpose is to inform, enlighten, and educate - not alienate, offend or gross out. However, I plan to be in the business of truth and reality, so it may not be a trip through fairyland, either.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I created a website for hunters to post their safari photos on. The reason I built my website is to help hunters to identify all African game animals by putting a picture with the name.

I’m new to the website building world and I’m still getting use to it. And I know what you’re talking about with presentations (I’m a student in California). No one likes mine at the end of the semester (not even the teachers).

I dont know if this was what you were looking for, but if you have any photos you think would help, just send them over.

Thanks - Ryan Clark

Safari List.com

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sue,
Not sure if this may be helpful but try http://www.lephalalefetcollege.co.za/
They have an extensive curiculum dealing with the safari business - operation, camp hospitality services, meat processing, etc... The mere fact that the industry provides enough economic benefit to an otherwise depressed segment of a society (spelled J-O-B-S) that a college offers acredited studies in it should carry some weight I'd think. Perhaps some background on how jobs in the industry have improved the lives of those working in it??? The website doesn't offer much detailed information but perhaps an inquiry explaining your project would garner some favorable response. I know a woman who was an administrator there some years ago but we've been out of touch for quite some time. Don't know if she's still there or even a contact for her. I visited the school to deliver some meat for the meat cutting class and had a short tour, it's quite a modern well apointed school.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
CA Safari Hunter - Safari List looks like a cool site. I'll check it out after I get caught up on some school work.

oupa - I think I wanna transfer! Lephalale College offers snake handling and bartending classes.