Find
Notify
Tools

Single Digits Now
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Down to 9 days before departing for Zim and another hunt with Charlton McCallum Safaris. Blake and I will attempt to pull a late season ele bull and leopard out of the jesse. Like our safari last year, this will be another "Double, Double" hunt, using the 500NE for ele and 9.3x74R for Mr. Spots.

The wife and I are prepared for the heat with Frog Togs Chilly Pads, personal portable fans, and packets of Gatorade powder! Now we just need some rains to help bring the bulls over from Moz!

9 days and counting but time ... is ... standing ... still prior to departure. The 12 days in camp will pass like a blink of the eye! I've enjoyed reading all the hunt reports this year, helping to pass the time by living vicariously through you guys! I hope to have a contribution of my own toward the end of December!

Bags are packed, rifles prepared and practiced, ready to go! Cheers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't you gone yet?

Hope you have great success!!

Blake will get the job done.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the chilly pads and fans will no doubt be a life saver- i have used them on my last 3 late season hunts and they made all the difference between a decent night's sleep and very little sleep! best of luck on your hunt- you will, no doubt, be in good hands tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13220 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd,
My sincere best wishes for cool comfortable nights and hot barrels all day.

BTW, whats your ammo mix?

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3437 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Best wishes and good hunting, Amigo.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Safe travels and shoot straight. I'll be interested to see how the leopard hunt goes at this time of year.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12915 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kill some monsters and bring back lots of pictures! Good luck and shoot straight.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the well wishes guys!

Mark, yep, leopard this time of year will be a challenge. Left over quota you know, so it won't hurt to give it a go!

Steve, 570gr North Fork solids for Jumbo, CEB 255gr non-cons for spots!

Jerry, agreed. I learned from my first hunt with CMS in Oct 2010 about the heat. Didn't bring any mitigating items thinking that a Texan used to 105F would have no issues. Learned that 125F+ is a HELL of a lot hotter! Made all the difference last year in Oct/Nov.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Fresno's summer temps run to 110-115. like you i thought i could handle it. like you, i found out otherwise. if it's so hot you can't sleep at night and therefore get any rest, how can you press on the next day with perhaps a 10-15 mile tracking session in blast furnace conditions. short answer- you can't. glad you covered your bases and best of luck!! as an aside, i found out the hard way 3 weeks ago about staying properly hydrated…..

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13220 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I read you report Jerry. You're lucky you didn't get hurt worse! Glad it worked out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd

travel safe and bring good stories back--

Hope to meet and hear them at DSC.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
I wish you all the best for this trip. Looking forward to nice pictures

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wish you a wonderful trip Todd.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11019 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
No doubt a top grade Safari tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hurry up and get out of here!! Cool

Enjoy your trip

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt Todd - I look forward to hearing all the stories in detail at DSC. Make sure you bring lots of photos to Dallas.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I hope you have a wonderful hunt! Travel safe and take lots of pictures!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Thanks for the well wishes guys!

Mark, yep, leopard this time of year will be a challenge. Left over quota you know, so it won't hurt to give it a go!

Steve, 570gr North Fork solids for Jumbo, CEB 255gr non-cons for spots!

Safe Travels my friend, and may a little luck follow you as well............

Don't forget the "Bullet Reports"............

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Good luck and make the shot. a big ele is what I am looking for. Oh yeah chui also.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Good luck.

Looking forward to your leopard report. I will be on my hunt for chui next July.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip Todd. The last few days before you go seem to take forever and then before you know it the last day of the safari is upon you.

Don't worry about chilli packs. Icy cold beer in plentiful quantities as soon as the hunting finishes and you're getting back into (or onto since your wife is going!) the ute.

Have a beer for me with Blake and the guys and good luck with your hunt.

Cheers

DK

Posts: 82 | Location: Australia | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck my friend.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Single digits now" ????

Did you finally take that IQ test? :-)

Posts: 20130 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
"Single digits now" ????

Did you finally take that IQ test? :-)

rotflmo

What a TURD!

No Justin, I've been able to keep the IQ in the 3 digits ... mainly by avoiding Country Music!

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 digits? You forgot the decimal point! :-)

Hey, good luck over there.

Posts: 20130 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
3 digits? You forgot the decimal point! :-)

Good one! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you come back in one piece so we can keep our double rifle date in Vegas.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to that Jeff! Think we might manage a beer or two as well? Whistling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only if we are underacheiving....

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd go get um! Give um a dose of double double, and keep them off you and Blake, and put them in the salt!

................................................................. BOOM............ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take it Todd that we will have live report every evening here on the Forum ? Cool

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Todd!

T-minus 5 days for me.

Will compare notes upon your return.

Good luck on Mr. Spots!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Sort them out properly and be safe. Hope you won't need the QuikClot, etc., but now you are prepared should Kilroy join your safari.

Keep well,

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you in Zim.

This a great time to hunt, a little warm but it was great watching the change in seasons last year.

Wish I was there now, this will be the first year in five that I do not make the trip to Africa.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishN4Eyes:
Good luck, Todd!

T-minus 5 days for me.

Will compare notes upon your return.

Good luck on Mr. Spots!

Where are you going and what are you hunting?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IQ? 3 digits? Todd, the - sign doesn't count as a digit. Big Grin

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd,
I asked you about ammo, I meant your quantity mix.(weight) I struggle with .500NE ammo and having another rifle to feed.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3437 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Steve, are you asking what I'm carrying over?

In the 500NE I've got 30 570gr North Fork Solids and 10 CEB 475gr non-cons with tips at 2,415fps for possible follow up on leopard (hope like hell we don't need it) or possibly any thing else big that might need an expanding bullet, remaining on quota, like maybe a stray buffalo (one never knows).

In the 9.3x74R, I've got 30, 255gr CEB non-cons (now called Safari Raptors) for the leopard and other smaller critters needing an expanding bullet, 6 CEB 280gr BBW #13 solids for whatever (used these on duiker, grysbok, and klipspringer last year), and 4, 3 blade CEB 255gr "Buffalo" Safari Raptors (I paint these red for quick identification) just in case there might be a stray buff or even an eland remaining.

All of that tips the scales right at 10 pounds, but ... being the paranoid type that I am, whenever I'm traveling with a companion, in this case, my wife, at other times, one of my sons, I always pack 1/2 in my bag and 1/2 in my companion's bag. Obviously split 50-50 as much as possible between the types of bullets. I do this as a hedge against the rifles showing up but missing the ammo bag. Touch wood, it's not been an issue so far, but one never knows.

As far as carrying ammo in the field, for the 500NE, I have a culling belt that holds 14 rounds. For the 9.3x74R, I use a buttstock elastic carrier that holds 9 rounds. I usually put a 9.3 round in one of my front pockets as well to give me an even 10 rounds when that rifle is in my hands, which is most of the time.

Anyway, that's my ammo load out in terms of what I'm carrying, how I spread it around for the airline travel portion of the trip, as well as in the field. How does this compare with everybody else?

Mike (LH), thanks Pard for the info on the first aid supplies. One hopes to never have to use it but it's nice to have in case!

Mike+5, yep, I like that time of year over there. Seems like most of my trips now days are October to December. I've always had good luck in the heat.

Jeff, if we aren't under achieving when we start, we will be shortly! Wink

Rickster, can I borrow your Marine Corp standard issue BLACK highlighter for the important parts of my book? Wouldn't want to forget about the good parts! Of course, I'll need to make sure and get a book that isn't printed upside down. salute

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
That's what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Safe travels.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Enjoy, Todd! tu2