New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 or 458
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would you use a 416 Rigby or a 458 WinMag for lion? I can shoot either one equally so I don't need the usual answer of which ever one you shoot best. Have heard rumors that the 416 is ideal for lion.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
What else is on your list of animals ?
IF shooting buff for bait mostly then then 458 but if some plainsgame the extra range will come in handy either or they will both do the job just fine, I think.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot the Rigby with a 370 gr NorthFork soft. That thing really opens!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot the .416 Rigby. The higher velocity of 2400 fps and a bullet designed for thin skin dangerous game will give you better performance on lion.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responces! I am leaning towards the 416 with Northforks. My motive here is if I'm going to take a certain rifle then it is that rifle I will do work to and practice with. New scope, slick up the action, new bolt handle, chop the barrel, etc. Can't afford to work on both rifles if I'm going to shoot a lion. They are spendy.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my vast experience of hunting lions (so far I haven´t been able to afford it -but it does sound catchy!) I´d choose the .416 Rigby. A PH I met said that in his opinion a .338 WM was the caliber of choice.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
The .416 for the flatter trajectory which should make it more functional for other critters as well.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge fan of 416's but I gotta say that this seems to be their niche.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I where ever to go to Africa for Lion I would take my .416 Rigby over my .458 lott so Rigby it is.................although with a woodleigh 500 gr soft out of the lott I would feel I was well armed for lion as well.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Without question or hesitation, the .416.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have shot two lions with a 458 using Federal 350 grain soft points and one lion using 375 H and H 300 grain Swift A Frame - no personal 416 experience.

Frankly, they all acted about the same after being shot. Do not discount the 458. I would be quite confident with this caliber for lion.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 416 Rigby, of course...

Robert Ruark

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My experience is with big bears and not lions but I would agree with the comment made by Craig Boddington when he stated that a 500gr 458 bullet @ 2100fps hits lions with more authority than a 400gr 416 bullet @ 2350fps and that has been true since 1912.

Finn Aagaard certainly agreed as well.

Still, the 416 is a world standard and superb big game round.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
In practical terms, it doesn't matter. Both are probably equally effective.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
he 458 has less recoli than the 416 using the same weight bullets (50 vs 58ftlbs with 400gn).

mike

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
IMO, the caliber is not the important question to be asked.
If I were to hunt Lion again the same way as last time {Tracking sometimes for ten + hours , twenty + KM's in 40deg C heat.}
I would use the lightest best "off hand " balanced Rifle with 42mm scope from 9.3 on up to 458 cal.
My Blaser R93 ATTACHE was great for this use.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why the .416 is said to be better for "long range."

Handload the .458 with 400 grain bullets, sight it and a .416 Remington in at 150 yards, and they'll be within 3" of one another at 300 yards.

And the .458 makes a bigger hole in the lion.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
400 or 450 grn Premium bullet out of your .458 Win Mag gets my vote.

Not that I think that the 416 is wrong.

It's just a matter of IF your ammo does not make it to AFRICA but your rifle does.

I am told that .458 win mag ammo can usually be obtained over there without TOO many hurdles.

[and .375 H&H ammo is the easiest to get within AFRICA]

416 ammo may well be harder to get.

If you are taking a .375 H&H or .375 Weatherby [which readily shoots the H&H ammo] as a second rifle, them I would pick the 416 over the .458WM.

I have zero experience, I am just thinking there is more to it than "which is the better caliber".

They both kill dead and both need to be well aimed.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pegleg,

I think the reality is that the lion won't know the difference as Will basically stated. Either caliber is fine at normal safari ranges. If you are hunting with only one rifle for everything and there is a possibility of a longer shot the 416 is probably the best choice over the 458. If you are taking a lighter "plains game" rifle it makes no difference which caliber you use for the lion.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
375 H&H = 300 gr @ 2550fps, the 416 is .042" larger and throws a 400 grain bullet at 2350fps and the 458 Win is .042" larger still and throws a 500gr bullet 2100fps. (yes modern loads will do that)
do the math and pick your poison. They all work.
The bottom line is that the nut behind the butt makes the most difference.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote