Find
Notify
Tools

Non trophy elephant
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Can anyone point me towards some research or qualified info/statistics etc relating to non trophy elephant in Zim? I am looking at another income & meat benefit for my community and want to put together a proposal to the powers that be.

Also safari pricing and both Government and Communal benefits etc

Any info would be much appreciated.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's pretty simple: in Zim you can legally shoot a tuskless elephant (which is technically a trophy elephant but there is no trophy unless you want the skin/feet etc) for about $10K incl 7 days. Has to be TL without dependent calf. These are supposed to come off the CITES quota but I doubt they do, unless the hunter exports something. Other than that there is no such thing (legally) as a non-trophy elephant hunt. But in practice what happens is the operators do a deal with the local parks officials to shoot their "meat" quota elephant and everyone is happy. Again about $10K. These are younger bulls or broken tusk bulls or cows. PAC is off limits to foreign hunters, the operator (usually his appie) is supposed to take care of this problem, although again there have been some unofficial PAC hunts where the trigger got pulled and nobody was the wiser. This is normally a night hunt. Then finally there have been many cases of illegal elephant "non trophy" hunts some conducted INSIDE the national parks. These have, in many cases, been sanctioned by corrupt local game dept officials. But I think that has stopped more or less after a 90lb elephant was shot in Hwange on a "cull" hunt and then the hunter bought the tusks at the Parks auction.

Now due to all these shenanigans the US has banned importation of elephant trophies from Zim. So now the Zim operators are offering discounted trophy hunts and calling them non-trophy. In other words the elephants get shot anyway, the price is reduced, and the skin/tusks stay in Zim (presumably property of the operator since it's his quota).

All elephant meat is consumed, except poached elephant where the carcass is left to rot.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
It's pretty simple: in Zim you can legally shoot a tuskless elephant (which is technically a trophy elephant but there is no trophy unless you want the skin/feet etc) for about $10K incl 7 days. Has to be TL without dependent calf. These are supposed to come off the CITES quota but I doubt they do, unless the hunter exports something. Other than that there is no such thing (legally) as a non-trophy elephant hunt. But in practice what happens is the operators do a deal with the local parks officials to shoot their "meat" quota elephant and everyone is happy. Again about $10K. These are younger bulls or broken tusk bulls or cows. PAC is off limits to foreign hunters, the operator (usually his appie) is supposed to take care of this problem, although again there have been some unofficial PAC hunts where the trigger got pulled and nobody was the wiser. This is normally a night hunt. Then finally there have been many cases of illegal elephant "non trophy" hunts some conducted INSIDE the national parks. These have, in many cases, been sanctioned by corrupt local game dept officials. But I think that has stopped more or less after a 90lb elephant was shot in Hwange on a "cull" hunt and then the hunter bought the tusks at the Parks auction.

Now due to all these shenanigans the US has banned importation of elephant trophies from Zim. So now the Zim operators are offering discounted trophy hunts and calling them non-trophy. In other words the elephants get shot anyway, the price is reduced, and the skin/tusks stay in Zim (presumably property of the operator since it's his quota).

All elephant meat is consumed, except poached elephant where the carcass is left to rot.

Thanks Russ and much appreciated.

To purchase an elephant tag here is in the region of $14,000 before mark up or any other fees or costs. What I am looking at is to address the country wide communal conflicts that rural farmers have with elephants and an avenue to sell a quota of non trophy/non export animals that can bolster the coffers of a community and to compensate farmers with cash and meat.

Basically cheap elephant hunting that addresses communal conflicts.

Something like that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Russ I seen this advertised for UK hunters. I have no intention of answering this, seen it on a forum. Just curious at the cost and Andrew,s question for his community.
Seems a tad unfair if 'outsiders' can have better deals than needy local communities....I have no idea how these things work in different areas /countries...

PAC (Problem) Elephant Hunt Zimbabwe 2016
PAC Elephant Hunt: £5000 all-inclusive Full Board Safari
5 Full Days/ 6 Nights
Walk & Stalk, tracking these giants
This is a hunt, NOT A SHOOT!
20 to 30 yards shots
Zimbabwe
(Dozens of UK References available)
Email: umlilosafaris@kirkwood.co.za

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is advertising a PAC hunt to foreign hunters illegal?
Just thinking of my 'ethics education' garnered on AR over the years. sofa

PAC is off limits to foreign hunters, the operator (usually his appie) is supposed to take care of this problem, although again there have been some unofficial PAC hunts where the trigger got pulled and nobody was the wiser.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you embark on a PAC hunt in either Zim or Mozambique you may be the next dentist. Same in Botswana where the farmer can shoot a marauding elephant but a foreign hunter cannot.

The problem with all of these "non-trophy" hunts is that if you allow them, the program gets abused ... people shoot trophy bulls and then find all sorts of creative ways to export the trophy.

THere is is CITES quota system for a reason.

Right now there is no reason to look for a non-trophy hunt, you can legally hunt a tusked bull in Zim at a much reduced price as everyone knows you are not going to pay full price for a trophy you cannot export. There is at least one such hunt advertised in the AR forum, and most Zim operators are sitting with unsold elephant quota. As long as you don't try to import the trophy, USFG has no say at all. It's all perfectly legal in Zim and sanctioned by CITES. It's possible these legal elephants are being advertised as PAC to avoid the appearance of discounting, but UNLESS THE ELEPHANT IS ON QUOTA HUNTED IN THE OPERATOR'S CONCESSION FOR WHICH THE QUOTA IS ALLOCATED, WITH A LICENCED PH AND UNDER A TR2 YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW.

I daresay the same thing will happen with Lion. Especially in RSA where all those captive bred lions are now a liability and not an asset.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
address the country wide communal conflicts that rural farmers have with elephants

Well I have a solution for that but I am not going to spell it out.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Thanks Russ and much appreciated.

To purchase an elephant tag here is in the region of $14,000 before mark up or any other fees or costs. What I am looking at is to address the country wide communal conflicts that rural farmers have with elephants and an avenue to sell a quota of non trophy/non export animals that can bolster the coffers of a community and to compensate farmers with cash and meat.

Basically cheap elephant hunting that addresses communal conflicts.

Something like that.

Sounds like a good idea Andrew
Just like any type of business " Better something then nothing "

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Well presented Russ , as you know we are working on legal ways to address problem elephant hunting in Botswana as well , as at today I have sent a proposal to the authorities on a suggestion for directors permits for elephant in Botswana based on meetings with the department of wildlife and the department of Agriculture, this is also on top of the rumours that elephant hunting may be restarted in Botswana in the near future , we will keep you all posted.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PAC been done by a foreigner is illegal in Zim - however we are advertising it now as non trophy or PAC BUT what we are doing is utilizing our trophy quota ( thanks to been unable to sell them due US f/Wildlife ban) which now makes it legal.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
PAC been done by a foreigner is illegal in Zim - however we are advertising it now as non trophy or PAC BUT what we are doing is utilizing our trophy quota ( thanks to been unable to sell them due US f/Wildlife ban) which now makes it legal.

Sent you a PM

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Certainly a win win option imo. Hunter gets a cost efficient hunt and the community get something extra out of an inevitable outcome whilst introducing the outfitter in to the communal area thus introducing incentive to protect an interest.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Certainly a win win option imo. Hunter gets a cost efficient hunt and the community get something extra out of an inevitable outcome whilst introducing the outfitter in to the communal area thus introducing incentive to protect an interest.

Exactly - converting a problem into much needed cash and meat for a community. The attached safari outfitter then takes over the problems of animal control and agricultural conflicts as a sector of the safari hunting model. The ivory becomes incidental and becomes the property of the state.

A very affordable and different sort of hunt for those who want to wield a big stick during the months of April and May.

A win win situation for Governments, Communities, the Outfitter and the sportsman.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:
Well presented Russ , as you know we are working on legal ways to address problem elephant hunting in Botswana as well , as at today I have sent a proposal to the authorities on a suggestion for directors permits for elephant in Botswana based on meetings with the department of wildlife and the department of Agriculture, this is also on top of the rumours that elephant hunting may be restarted in Botswana in the near future , we will keep you all posted.

Good to hear. Sadly big game is being shot as problem animals with no or little benefit to communities. A wasted asset.

This pending drought will dramatically increase agrarian conflicts and the communities will make a big noise about this. The time is right and the Botswana elephant problem is a ticking time bomb.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame

A very affordable and different sort of hunt for those who want to wield a big stick during the months of April and May.

A win win situation for Governments, Communities, the Outfitter and the sportsman.

I like wielding a big stick! Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ja the essence of the problem is that the smart old (trophy) bulls are not the ones causing the problems ... that would be cows and young bulls for the most part. On the other hand, shooting cows does reduce the population whereas shooting trophy bulls has no long term impact. Therein lies the dilemma. Unless you have way too many elephant, you want to focus on trophy hunting only and the farmers will just have to suffer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken many non-trophy elephant in Zim over a nine year period. When hunting the communal lands, mostly the Omay, the safari co. had a quota of non-trophy elephant. Sometimes they were tuskless or tusked cows and a few times bulls. They had an agreement with the Omay Tribal Council that they would concentrate on crop depredating elephant. So in affect we were handling PAC animals but they were classified as non-trophy quota. The tribal council could request a kill permit for a depredating elephant from Parks but that was legally a PAC elephant and we couldn't take that animal. Getting a kill permit from Parks often was a long drawn out process and by having us use our non-trophy quota speeded up things considerably. It was a win - win situation for all involved.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Andrew. Sounds like a rational proposal. Unfortunately, this has been a rather irrational debate.

Let us know if Zambia comes around.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I was forwarded a very interesting research paper from Russell Taylor in Zimbabwe - Elephant Management in Nyaminyami District, Zimbabwe: Turning a Liability into an Asset

His conclusion was - Elephant conservation is as much an institutional problem as it is a technical one and its resolution lies in the hands of local people who will make the ultimate decision as to how they finally use their land. That decision will be strongly influenced by what benefits from wildlife, and elephants in particular, perceived and actual, accrue to individual householders and farmers. Only when perceived as an asset will the conservation of elephants truly become part of a locally developed and integrated approach to land use, and part of an economy that makes wise and sustainable use of natural resources.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
My quandary is that I have elephant but very few trophies to speak of. This picture from camp shows a herd of bulls all with small ivory and therefore not saleable. The community obviously want elephant on quota and have big problems with these beasts during their cropping months.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anyone point me towards some research or qualified info/statistics etc relating to non trophy elephant in Zim? I am looking at another income & meat benefit for my community and want to put together a proposal to the powers that be.

Andrew - Non trophy bull quotas were adopted in ZIMPARKS safaris areas in the late 80s early 90s. This was supposed to be a trial in certain areas where ecologists believed there were too many young bulls that were having a negative impact on the habitat. Zimparks jumped at the idea as it was a great way of generating extra revenue then took it upon themselves to implement this policy into most of the safaris areas.Unfortunately this was mismanaged hence the rapid decline in trophy quality in the zambezi valley.
You are on the right track as you have to do something.
Just be careful that your good intention/policy is not hijacked by government,operators and communties that will bring an end to hunting trophy bulls for export.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote