New
Find
Notify
Tools

new guy question
 Login/Join

posted
Guys-
I have been reading silently here for quite some time, and although I could share some objective opinions about the two hot topics of late, I'd rather simply start by asking a question.

Given the ballistics of the new Smith 500, what type [read how big] of game would you considerable "doable?" The size of my stones and the safety of the PH, tracker, et al notwithstanding.

Thanks, and in advance I have learned an infinite amount of knowledge here and hope to be able to contribute sometime in my own little way.

Tom.

Posts: 19 | Location: NC | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
I'd say anything up to but not including thick-skinned DG (Dry-land Hippo, Buff, Ele, etc.) as long as you stick to the effective range of the setup.

I don't think it'll be legal for large DG in most areas. It will certianly take some of them under some circumstances. Ganyana has told us about the experiments hunting Ele with .41 magnums in the (70's, maybe?).

I'd say any plains game out to the distance you can keep a cylinder full in a pie-tin would be my criteria. Anything else is just a stunt.

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums aba!

The biggest limiting factor with the 500, or even the new 460 S&W is the effective range.

Plains game I don't think would be a problem, but if not at a dangerously close range on thick skinned game, you would be out of luck.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Welcome aba, I know what you mean about keeping out of the mud, I wish I had myself!

In most of Africa the handgun is a legal problem, no matter the chambering. That said, it can be done in some places, for some animals, with special permit. I believe as long as you keep your range under 100 yds, for the largest plains game like Eland, and the tough little wildebeast, you will do fine with well placed shots. On the smaller guys you can do OK out to 150 yds as long as you can place your shots well at that range. I've done a lot of handgun hunting in North America, on animals up to the size of Alaska/Youkon Moose, with good success, but I kept my shots to less that 100 yds for bigest , and down to 50 yds on big bear! Imo, the handgun on Africa's dangerous game is a mistake, with the exception of the cats, over bait, also illegal in most places!

If you do this, my advise to you is use discretion in your rangeing, and keep it short! ..........Good luck! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Abacomarlin welcome, I like the name. I could go by Albayellowblue myself. clap

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12591 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote