Notify
Tools

Elephants damage worry Binga chiefs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Elephants damage worry Binga chiefs

From Bulawayo Bureau

BINGA chiefs have called on the Government to quickly intervene and control elephants that are destroying crops and homesteads in the district.

The chiefs — speaking on the sidelines of a workshop in Bulawayo on Monday and Tuesday – said although villagers had expected a good harvest following this season’s good rains, their crops had been destroyed by elephants. The villagers threatened to take the matter into their own hands if nothing was done to remove the animals. "Ever since Campfire (Community Areas Management Programme for Indigenous Resources) took over looking after the animals from the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority a few years ago, we have experienced these problems," said Chief Timothy Sinansengwe, of Sinansengwe area, whose area of jurisdiction lies on the Zambezi River basin. "We are blessed with good soils in this district and whenever we have good rains our people work hard in the fields, but elephants and other wild animals come and destroy their crops."

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Have gun, will travel.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I tried to do my part. Wink

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be leaving for the Binga area in:

1 month 10 days 4 hours 36 minutes 18 seconds or
6 weekends or
41 days or
988 hours (659 waking hours) or
59,316 minutes or
3,558,977 seconds

(not that I'm getting anxious...)

I'm scheduled for a buff hunt. Hoping opportunity may knock.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote