Find
Notify
Tools

Only one African DGR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
If you could take only one rifle to Africa to use strictly on dangerous game (big 5 or 6) what would you choose?

I've been thinking about my 2009 Cape Buffalo hunt and I thought I already decided on the .416 Taylor but I'm beginning to think that I should buy the CZ550 in .505 Gibbs - so I think I will. Make mine the .505.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Any of the .416's would be great. If you want something that is easy to put together you may wish to consider the .458 Lott. The lott is chambered in rifles by both CZ and Ruger that are fairly inexpensive and readily available and it is easy to find components to load the Lott. A 500 grain .458 bullet loaded to 2150 fps in the Lott will do all you need to do. If you want a real step up in power (and recoil), you can get a .500 Jeffery or a .505 Gibbs from CZ. I chose the .500 Jeffery just because I don't think the Gibbs is a good fit in the CZ action and the Jeffery is so easy to load for. I know that there are others who feel differently but the Gibbs is a massive cartridge and I think if you want to have a Gibbs you need an action with a larger bolt face than the CZ like a Granite Mountain or a perhaps a Heym as well as a bigger magazine box.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far my African rifle has been a 375. I have taken buffalo, lion, hippo, croc, and several leopards. I guess the next one for me is ele. I may be under gunned with the 375, if I step up it would be to the 416, but I may just go with the 375, have not decided yet.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...stick with your first inclination, and go with the .416Taylor.
I've shot five buffalo, and five elephant using the Taylor. 400gr bullets @ 2385fps, both SP/FMJ (Trophy Bonded bullets)
Let your PH carry the stopper, if needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were you I would shoot a 505 before I bought one!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The .375.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have shot buf with a 375 and X bullets, a 458 Lott with an X bullet, and ele with the Lott also , and another ele and buf with a 450#2...
I prefer standard cartidges and not wildcats. and also available ammo also..If your ammmo is lost can you get replacement ammo???
If not all you have in an expensive club...
If I was going to build a stopper rifle a 500 Jeffery all the way...
But one also has to be able to take the punishment of a big rifle..The Lott with a full power load maybe all you can handle...
I would recommend you try one before going and building one...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I guess my post was too nebulus. I was asking what the rest of you would take if you had to take only one DGR.

I've shot the .505 Gibbs and I like it better than the .460 Wby that I shot on the same day. I've been aware, at first hand, of Newton's Law. I probably will get the .505 Gibbs based on some of the prior posts of some of the experienced and learned that I've read here. I have the .375 H&H. My .416 Taylor is still being built. I've shot the Lott and would have bought one but I think the .505 would be what would please me personally.

Thanks for looking out for my shoulder,
Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have not shot or even handled one, but I think some who got the CZ 505 had feeding problems. You might ask on the Big Bores board. Perhaps it was an early problem and was fixed, or maybe I have remembered incorrectly.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Tsibindi - you didn't reveal your most recent acquistion. If you did, you'd be really injection some doubt into the decision. Big Grin

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
My one rifle has been a 9.3x62 but I would recommend the following four.
375H&H with 300 and 350grn bullets.
416Taylor
416Rem
404Jef
All set with a 1-4 or 1.5-6 Schmidt&Bender Magnum Scope.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Namibiahunter:

Sounds like you are committed to the .505 Gibbs. It is indeed a dandy cartridge. However, if you are getting a Gibbs, I would encourage you to explore other options other than a CZ such as a Heym or maybe have one built up for you. If you look on the big bore threads you will see a thread about the Montana "Pro-Hunter" action which should become available next spring. Ed Hubbel says that it will have a .805 inch bolt face and a four inch magazine.

I have never seen or handled a Heym bolt rifle but my friend has a Heym double and I can tell you it is very high quality. I would be willing to bet that you would find their bolt rifle to be just the ticket for your .505. If you are thinking about something less expensive, take a long look at that Montana PH. They will put together an action for you for about $850.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going over in '09 as well. It'll be a .375 and a .505 Gibbs. Ele to Klip's is on the docket.

BTW, for me the CZ Gibbs is much easier on the shoulder than a .460WBY, and I like the .50" hole it makes a lot!

Now I'm trying to decide if I go with heavy for caliber on the .375, or go lighter...

Posts: 53 | Location: Snottsdale, AZ | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Well, the CZ 505 is still the cheapest way to get a Gibbs and I hear they are selling like hot cakes.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dangerous game species are as follows:- elephant,cape buffalo,black rhino, lion, leopard, hippo, and crocodile. The .500 caliber bullet design is "too tough" for lion and leopard being designed for thick-skin game. A croc requires precision from different shooting positions which recoil of the .500's may limit.

May favourite DGR is the .500 Schuler Jumbo. However, bottom line only one would be a .416 Rigby. The .416 allows scope use (with less fear of getting hit in the face anyway), versatile bullet choices, and a step-up in power over the .375.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWANNA: You have a PM

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Well, the CZ 505 is still the cheapest way to get a Gibbs and I hear they are selling like hot cakes.

Bill, you are right! I am a huge CZ fan and the CZ is indeed the "cheapest" way to go. I'm am just not sure it is a good choice in the .505. Now that they make a .500 Jeffery which WILL work with their bolt face and their magazine, I think the .500 would be a better choice in a CZ. If I was going to go with the .505 (I'm not), I would put my order in for one of those Montana Pro-Hunter actions. I'll bet by next spring, they will be putting out barreled actions in that caliber.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I should have read more posts about the CZ .505. I didn't realize that there has been problems with the feeding. Dave, thanks on the heads up on the .500 Jeff. That might be the way to go.

I have one P17 rifle being converted to .416 Taylor. I'm going to buy another one on Tuesday and have it converted to something (I don't know what yet).

I want a .50+ and the CZ is the cheapest way to go.

What I meant to do with the original posting was to find out what DGR you all would take if you could take only one to Africa and use it only for dangerous game.

Namibiahunter

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Namibiahunter, I sent you a pm.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
namibiahunter,

If there was a chance of hunting ALL dangerous game on one safari and I could take only one rifle I'd bring a 375 with some solids and softs. I think a scoped 375 is far more appropriate for everything than a much heavier caliber. Of course ideally for people that can shoot them an open sighted 458 or larger combined with a scoped 375 might just be perfect if leopards to elephant were on the menu.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mark on this one. One gun equals a 375 H&H.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any rifle from 9.3 up as long as you can start with the rifle down and on safe and hit a 6 inch circle every time twice at 50 yards in 10 seconds and can hit a pie plate every time at 100 off the sticks. Wink Remember all modern cartridges with good bullets work well the important thing is the human element.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Of the rifles I have:

Dakota Model 76 Safari in .375 H&H (first choice)

Heym Magnum Express in .416 Rigby (second choice)

A rifle I want:

An Empire in .416 Rigby

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Dangerous game species are as follows:- elephant,cape buffalo,black rhino, lion, leopard, hippo, and crocodile. The .500 caliber bullet design is "too tough" for lion and leopard being designed for thick-skin game. A croc requires precision from different shooting positions which recoil of the .500's may limit.

May favourite DGR is the .500 Schuler Jumbo. However, bottom line only one would be a .416 Rigby. The .416 allows scope use (with less fear of getting hit in the face anyway), versatile bullet choices, and a step-up in power over the .375.

Buli, you forgot to mention that the .416 Rigby also offers LOW PRESSURES which may be its' greatest asset thumb

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your only taking one, better punch out that Taylor to a 416 Rem. Most PHs have access to .416 Rem ammo...its not that big a deal to open a magazine and rechamber..

If I were taking one gun it would definately be a standard caliber with the ease of finding ammo, and that about limits one to a .375, 416 Rem or .458 in most African countries.

Sometimes your ammo and rifles get seperated, in fact quit often, and even standard ammo can be hard to find...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray:

You were the one that recommended that I turn my P17 into something bigger than a .416, into something like a .505 Gibbs - and that started me thinking, maybe I should. Anyway, I'm still having that .416 built and I'm buying another P17 tomorrow. The only reason I was thinking about the .505 Gibbs in the CZ was because I wouldn't have to have it custom made and maybe it'll be a bit cheaper (under $3000).

I'm trying to learn from you guys what you would take as a one DGR for African dangerous game. Never mind that I made an uneducated choice.

BTW, when I do my buff hunt in 2009 I'll be taking the big something gun and the .375 H&H so it won't really be a one gun DG hunt.

Namibiahunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
easy question...460 weatherby..but have at least 200 min rounds practice fired (factory rounds)before you go..

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave. Good point thumb

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKA:
easy question...460 weatherby..but have at least 200 min rounds practice rounds fired (factory rounds)before you go..

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The only DG that may merit anything larger than the .375 are elephant, buffalo and hippo (not while in water, but when stalked up close on land), and possibly rhino as well, although by all accounts rhino are not that tough to put down.

But the .375 will work just fine on elephant, buffalo and hippo, too, as long as the hunter does his part.

Still, speaking for myself only, I would like to have at least a .458 Lott along for that kind of work.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote