THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: 450 Rigby or 450 dakota - anyone?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 450 Rigby or 450 dakota - anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted

Not that I am a geezer, but I have been shooting the .450 Dakota for about 8 years. I have taken one buff with it and a few plainsgame with it. The Dakota and Rigby are ballistic twins. There is no difference in performance. The only difference in case design is, the Dakota has a little more shoulder on which to headspace.

Both cartridges can spit a 500gr bullet at 2500 fps with little difficulty. I keep mine at a more tame 2350 and it is very manageable. With the Dakota, dies, reamers, and brass are available, Rigby brass is a little more difficult to find from time to time.

To me, the only reason to consider the Dakota over the Rigby is the case shoulder. Otherwise, you would never know the difference between the two.

As far as bear or moose are concerned, a .416 or .338 would deliver all the terminal energy you need and lots more reach than a big .458. Even at 2500 fps, a 500gr bullet begins to take on the trajectory curve of a howitzer shell once you pass 250 yards.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try asking Wendell Reich, he posts here and has Hunter's Quest, a hunter booking firm. He shoots the .450 Dakota.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Bill - If you use the Dakota magazine, you get 4 down 1 up. Now, I have been in a tense situation or two, but I have never emptied my magazine before. If this is a consideration, may I suggest a belt feed?

What I have found is my .416 kills every bit a well, but doesn't knock me into last week. I can shoot my .450 well - too stupid to flinch I suppose. But I do like the added range of the .416. Until I go back for an ele, my .450 will continue to be fun at the range.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will, Not picking either Lott or Rigby. Just commenting on the merits of each. I'm a .505 man. Remember?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And the 450 Dakota is such an excellent round that Sig Arms is chambering the Mauser logo rifles in it too. 4 down and one up for a five shooter also. I'll soon kill a buffalo with 450 grain North Fork SP, FP or CP with that Magnum Mauser. Bear and moose will not know they are over-killed if you use either the Rigby or Dakota.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote