New
Find
Notify
Tools

Express Sight advice for safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm heading to Zim in June for a first safari, pursuing Cape buffalo and kudu with Guy Whittall. I'm bringing two Kimber Caprivi rifles, one in .375 H&H and the other in .458 Lott. The .375 has a Leupold VX-6 2-12 scope and the .458 a VX-6 1-6, both with Leupold QD mounts so the scopes could be swapped if required.

I've been practicing with both rifles regularly (I handload fortunately) and have confirmed that the scopes return to zero nicely when removed and reattached, though I doubt this will be necessary. The Kimber Caprivi comes with a NECG two-folding leaf Express rear sight. I sure don't plan or hope to use these, but I figure it would be prudent to know what they will do and worked with them at the range today.

The "fixed" blade on the .375 only has a small notch provided by Kimber. This was easy to adjust for windage, but was shooting about 8" high at 50 yards. The .458 fixed blade had a much deeper, wide "V" and was centered at about 20 yards.

I'm pretty comfortable with trigonometry and have a good friend who is an expert machinist, gunsmith, and hunter, so I could get professional help with good equipment. I figure having the .458 set for 20 yards makes sense, and perhaps the next fold-up blade should be cut for a 50-yard zero? I don't feel confident in using iron sights at 100 yards when a scoped .375 would be available!

I've been practicing and feel comfortable (but respectful!) shooting the .458 and would prefer to use it for buffalo. I thought getting the fixed blade on the .375 cut for a 50-yard zero would be prudent. I suppose I could do a 100 yard zero for the second, fold-up blade but again, I cannot imagine a scenario where I couldn't use either scope. Or go all out and set the blades for 20, 50, and 100 yards on the .375?

All I know is from reading books, and my hunting rifles wear riflescopes. What would you experienced Africa hands recommend for express site regulation? Many thanks.

Posts: 114 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I realize you have the extra leafs so there is a tendency to want to make use of them.

But, I would simply sight the first fixed leaf in at 25 yards on both rifles and not use the other leafs

Assuming your sights are between 5/8 and 3/4 of an inch above the bore and the typical trajectory of both those cartridges you are effectively going to be 0 at 25 & 75 and plus 1/4 at 50 and minus 1/4 at 100.

If you are using your open sights there is a good chance there may be some stress involved.

Keep it simple, 1 leaf, hold dead on period.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
England,

Mike has a good point. Actually fiddling around with different leaves isn't really practical. If you site in the standing leaf at 50 yards for both you'll be good at 25 or a 100 on the big animals you'll be hunting. The Save is pretty much forested so even with your scope your not going have a very long shot. I do acknowledge you for wanting to get your irons actually sited in so you can use them. Not everybody even considers that. I'm not an iron site fan but if you're going to have them they might as well be something other than just window dressing.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I zero my irons on heavy rifles at 50 yards. I file them in as far as needed.

Then I’m good from point blank out to 100 yards or so, which is as far as I’ll ever need or want to use them.

I’ve never even bothered to zero the flip ups.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree the folding leafs are really ornamental and don't serve a practical purpose. My advice is to zero with irons at 50 yards with the standing leaf and forget about the folding leaves.

Realistically if you have to resort to using iron sights it means that you have had two scope failures in a single hunt. I think the odds of that happening on a 10 day safari are pretty low.

If you feel strongly about the iron sights then practice more with them. Really learn what you can do with them if you have to. I'm a big advocate of being prepared but honestly if you want to spend time and money on the iron sights, spend it on shooting ammunition.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some shooters just like iron sights. It's an "old school" thing. I love them but my 73 year old eyes can't see them anymore. A rifle that is stocked for open sight can be a sweet handling rig, like a shotgun. Open sight are great for close/fast work on DG but a decent marksman with good eyes can hit a tea cup at 100 yards all day long with them.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Agree with everyone else, the folding leafs are not needed. Got the old safari four folding leaf sight on my 404 and when I bought the Mauser had to build up a higher blade on the front ramp to get the point of impact dead on at 25m using the standing leaf and factory ammo that came with the rifle, Handloaded to same velocity and POI and then went hunting buffalo. All shots under 100m and as close as about 3m and no problem with using the irons.
Since fitted an ERR Leupold as eyes get old and also need when playing around with different loads and cast bullets.

The Weaver scope base profile matches the standing leaf perfectly (see photo below) so can whip the scope off and use the irons if I have to deal with a pissed off rabbit on the end of the barrel Big Grin

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Some shooters just like iron sights. It's an "old school" thing. I love them but my 73 year old eyes can't see them anymore. A rifle that is stocked for open sight can be a sweet handling rig, like a shotgun. Open sight are great for close/fast work on DG but a decent marksman with good eyes can hit a tea cup at 100 yards all day long with them.

I used open sights all my life so I guess that makes me old school & now in my early 60s still feel confident with good open sights out to about 180 metres (with the right calibre) & I struggle with a scope (and struggle even more with a red dot) but truth be told, the Boer Commandos were shooting many times those distances more than a hundred years ago.

Which I guess suggests open sight shooting is becoming a dying art.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
With the 458 use only the fixed, stand-up sight.
Set that dead centre at 100yds not 50yds not 25yds just 100yds.Not many understand this.Once you have set it dead on at 100yds it will shoot like a lazer from 0-100yds and your rifle will be set for life and be ready when you need it.
For 200yds you can use the same sight and aim 8 inches higher or set a leaf sight to hit dead on at 200yds.
There is no need to have a blade set at 25yds another set at 50yds and another at 100yds.It is not a 22LR.Don't be a fool.Most gunmakers don't understand this.If you set one at 50yds it will NOT strike centre at 100yds despite what anyone tells you.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
England, agree with what has been said regarding zeroing the standing leaf. I don't think that the folding leaves are much use (though I do think they look cool Smiler). I just wanted to point out that the front sight on your Caprivi should be adjustable for elevation. Mine was. check out this thread. This may save you some gunsmithing bills.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=135105728#135105728

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and enjoy the buff hunt. I have hunted two buff, a leopard and am maybe headed to Zim in 2019 for a tuskless. So far, though, hunting buff is my favorite. Can't get enough!

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shakari, Good point. I have been to some of those Boer War battle fields.

I remember in the mid 80's what the Long Range Silhouette Pistol Shooters in the USA were doing with iron sights at 200 meters. They would settle tied score at championships by hitting the small 50 meter chicken placed at 200 meters! Many of them were just using TC Contenders with factory sights.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
25 meters/yards shouldn’t matter if you’ve ever bird hunted. Throw it up and shoot. If the stock is made for you the it’ll work.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
With open sights get yourself a fine front bead and this will increase your accuracy. My sight picture is over top of bead with the bead sitting low in the V. I also glue down the other leaf sights so they don't accidentally pop up.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9950 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. I realize that the odds of having TWO Leupold VX-6 scopes fail are minuscule. I'd just feel like an idiot standing there in that event with untested iron sights. As Louis Pasteur said, chance favors the prepared mind.

Custom, I'm blushing. I hadn't looked carefully at the front sight (being a scope kind of guy) but you are absolutely correct. It is the NECG Screw-On ramp sight and is adjustable. I'm going to have to cogitate on this further and then perhaps visit with my machinist/shooter friend.

I really like the Caprivi rifles and Kimber clearly gave these much thought and had input from serious hunters.

quote:
Originally posted by Custom:
I just wanted to point out that the front sight on your Caprivi should be adjustable for elevation. Mine was. check out this thread. This may save you some gunsmithing bills.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=135105728#135105728

Posts: 114 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
With open sights get yourself a fine front bead and this will increase your accuracy. My sight picture is over top of bead with the bead sitting low in the V. I also glue down the other leaf sights so they don't accidentally pop up.

While I like a big white bead now days & aim dead on, I agree with gluing those other sights down, thick scrub/bush/thorns & even recoil can make them stand up !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have filed and sighted in leaf sights on a couple of rifles at 50, 100 and 200 yards and its a chore, but they are more than ornamental, they work well enough...

Actually for DG hunting in Africa I could get by very well indeed with a Receiver sight and a NECG gold faced post.The longest shot on DG Ive ever taken was 225 yards and that was with iron sights on a buffalo, other than that 99% were under 100 yards, most around 50 yards, best I recall.

That said a better option for me is one standing shallow V or a deeper narrow V..I sight them both in at one inch high at 75 yards..With a top hold on a buffalo at 200 yards its pretty easy to drop one in that huge lung area...The shallow V I use an Ivory 3/32nd bead and pull it to the bottom of the V...With the narrow V I use a square gold faced post and hold it level with the top of the narrow V, much like you would a pistol sight, its fast and as accurate as a receiver sight..I like both options..

I use iron sights more than most folks, always on double rifles, and always have the option on any bolt action..I want irons if I have to go into the bush after any DG. I confident in irons to 200 yards on big animals, as anyone should be, but it only works with a properly sighted in rifle..IMO every hunter should have a rifle wearing iron sights, to not do so is folly, but that's each individuals choice.

I sight in lower power rifles like the 7x57 30-06 etc. in at 12.5 yards, they then are spot on at 150 yards, and a couple of inches high at 100 yards, it varies a little from gun to gun so one always needs to test his POI at all ranges...Good luck with your hunt.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42149 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote