Find
Notify
Tools

Vadoma Tribe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
When I was in Zim recently Buzz Charlton shared with me a picture of a member of this tribe. I found it fascinating since the condition is not the result of mutilation but is rather caused by successive generations of inbreeding. I had never heard of this tribe or condition before, so I thought I would share it with others that might not have heard of it either.

http://darkcreek.com/vadoma_ectrodactyly

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/indepth/features/dis...f_ostrich_people.php

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I beleive that in his book " A MAN CALLED LION" Cspstick relates a story Taylor told Brian Marsh about these folks, or something

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Mike

Now you have my attention! I have spent quite a bit of time with members of this tribe over the years, and have become intrigued by them and their culture. A few years ago, I accompanied a foot safari deep into the Mashambanzhou mountains, with an old Vadoma hunter named Hungwa guiding us. It was an education to say the least - the Vadoma are the most adept bush men I've ever come across, perfectly atuned to their environment. Hungwa showed us how to locate, harvest and prepare a plant tuber which the Vadoma have always eaten as a staple. It was amazing - he dried and ground the tuber to meal, and then boiled the meal to produce something very similiar to what we know as sadza. Vadoma sadza is not as firm as maize sadza, but it is eaten in the same manner, by rolling it into bite size morsels and dipping it in relish. Hungwa also showed us a number of edible plants which can be used as relish (muriwo) and medicine, how to find and raid a bee hive without using fire or disturbing the bees too much, and much more.
I have written a little about the Vadoma people and I intend to write a great deal more some time. What is most sad about the Vadoma, is that theirs is a dying culture and they are a dying tribe. Few are the Vadoma who still live as they used to, and this is mostly due to the government's ridiculous decision to resettle and assimiliate them into 'civilized' society. The birthplace (musha) of the Vadoma is the Mkanga Valley in Chewore Safari Area, but any Vadoma who ventures there now is considered a poacher. Fortunately not by those on the ground - hunters and Parks gamescouts respect these master bush men and usually turn a blind eye to Vadoma activity if they come across it.
Before the year end, I intend journeying back to the Mashambazhou mountains with Hungwa, to learn what I can before the ways of these fascinating people are lost to the world forever.

Thanks for posting those links Mike

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
National Geographic did a piece on these "OSTRICH" people a few years ago. I didn't know, however that they were a Zimbabwe tribe! I was under the impression they were from Northern Kenya, and the Sudan!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes and Ian Nyschens mentions and pictures them in his first book.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Taylor mentions them extensively in one of his books.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have to admit that with all the time i've spent in zim I never heard of these poeple until i read davids book. David - I sure hope you do write more about them. and for those who haven't read davids book - you should

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote