New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accubonds for Namibian Plains Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to hear your opinions on the load that I'm considering for an upcoming safari for the following Namibian animals: Leopard, Kudu, Gemsbok, Mountain Zebra, Impala,Warthog,and Springbok.
I'm taking a 7mmRemMag, and I would like to use Federal Premium 160gr Accubonds, which are very accurate in my rifle. My only concern is that they will not penetrate deep enough on game such as the Zebra, especially with a quartering shot. I feel that the Fail-safe type loads are too tough for the smaller stuff. What do you all think, keeping in mind that I only want to use one load.
Thanks Wolf

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Wolfgar

My experience is that accubonds pretty much has the same penetration like partitions. It should work alright. I know people who used Norma oryx and simular bonded bullets with great result.

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of OMUHONA
posted Hide Post
I use 180 grains soft point Norma Oryx in .30-06 on all those species, it penetrates and kills very efficiently.

Waidmannsheil !

Posts: 74 | Location: Felseneck-Namibia | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,

I know this is not what you want to hear but if you could come up with a load shooting the 160 NP I beleive you would be better off. The Accubond hasn't really been around long enough for me to take it on an important hunt but we all know the NP is tried and true. The NP will give you the penetration for the zebra and gemsbok but also give the initial violent expansion you need for the leopard and smaller animals.

Be careful on your shot placement with the gemsbok and zebra. They can go forever if poorly hit.

Good Hunting,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's, and Mark, I tried the NP's and they group terribly from my rifle. I do not handload. I hear that the Accubonds perform the same as the partitions though?
What do you think?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar: If you plan on using a 7mmRM on zebra and gembuck (and worthog, although I have not shot one myself), you might consider using the tougher bullets...I agree with Mark Young on his NP recommendation. I have no experience with Accubonds so I cannot help you there. A 7mmRM, while a good caliber, and well suited to shooting the long distances which you may encounter, is also a small caliber shooting a relatively small bullet. On impala and springbuck, the 7mm is perfect. Having not shot leopard or worthog, I cannot give informed advice on those animals. But I would not worry about bullets being too tough when you are shooting a smaller caliber, like the 7mm. A NP or Failsafe, or similar quality bullet, will make up for the smaller diameter and weight of the 7mm. A heavy-for-caliber (160 gr?) NP would probably be the best to use. You might even consider tougher bullets than NP with the 7mm...Swift A-Fames or Barnes. I would try for something that would both have good expansion and provide complete penetration. It sounds like you have a good hunt planned...Good luck.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,

The Accubond is a bonded core bullet that in theory just gives more frontal area the harder it hits. They are supposed to retain most of their weight but not to the extent the Scirocco does and there is the rub. The accubond has to dump some of its weight and therefore frontal area to penetrate. How all this really works on tough game I am not sure. On the other hand the NP is supposed to lose the front third in violent expansion after impact. The front third actual acts like a grenade. Lung tissue destruction is usually amazing. After the front is gone the other 2/3 of the bullet act like a solid and quite often exit from any angle. Therefore the bullet is a perfect match for a great variety of game.

I have had great luck with the Swift A-frame and the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw also. Factory loads with these bullets might be worth a try.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I've had NP's do exactly this, the front half blow-off and the rest act as a solid. The problem is the front half did bugger all damage why the rear half acted just like a solid ie minimal damage.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't done Africa..yet. But 225 Accubonds worked great on 700-800lb elk for me. If I make it to Africa next year I'll likely be shooting accubonds.....DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I strongly recommend the use of Nosler Partitions out of the 7mm Rem Mag. I haven't personally used the Accubonds, but I believe they will also do quite well.

I am only making this statement based on my experience, which is quite a lot of plains game with the 7mm RM up to and including a few eland. I use the 175 gr. NP at 2950-3000 fps and it kills well up close and far away.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
MARK H. YOUNG

I have used sirocco and accubond on various Scandinavian animals. My exprience is that sirocco seems to expand quicker and be a bit softer than accubond. I expected sirocco to be harder and was a bit disappointed.

Friends of mine that recoverd bullets says that sirocco's expands quicker than accubond and bullets found has less weight than other bonded bullets or bullets with dual/partitioned cores.

Woflgar- I suggest you contact ALF on this forum for an opinion. Alf is South African and has a large experience with these animals.

Cheers

/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, thank you all for your advice. I was also considering the Barnes X bullets, but, I wondering if they will just wiz through the smaller animals without expanding much. Anyone out there use them? Wolf

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Barnes X in .338, 225 gr on 2 safaris, numerous plains game including Eland and Klipspringer (the 2 extremes). No problems or complaints at all. Indeed, both PH's were quite impressed with the results. Did get 2 Impala with one shot, but it was OK because we were just shooting them for biltong. A young buck and a doe (or ram & female in their terminology).

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote