Tools

Looking for Federal ammunition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for FEDERAL ammunition in 9,3x74R:
286 grs Swift A-Frame
286 grs Woodleigh Hydro Solid

Unfortunately I can't find the ammo in both Germany and South Africa. Obviously not many people hunt with a 9,3x74R, at least not in Africa. I wonder, how is it in the States, is this ammo available at all? Would like to use it on buffalo.
What I could get: 286gr Barnes TSX Cape Shock. Not bad at all but I just love Swift A-Frame and Woodleigh Solid. Maybe I should have purchased a .375 H&H instead...

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
Looking for FEDERAL ammunition in 9,3x74R:
286 grs Swift A-Frame
286 grs Woodleigh Hydro Solid

Unfortunately I can't find the ammo in both Germany and South Africa. Obviously not many people hunt with a 9,3x74R, at least not in Africa. I wonder, how is it in the States, is this ammo available at all? Would like to use it on buffalo.
What I could get: 286gr Barnes TSX Cape Shock. Not bad at all but I just love Swift A-Frame and Woodleigh Solid. Maybe I should have purchased a .375 H&H instead...

I see you live close to capetown.

Another bet is to reload your self, find the brass, powder, primers and bullets.

Have you checked with CAPE GUNS & AMMO - BELLVILLE or Safari Outdoor - Stellenbosch
from the web sites they will order ammo for you. The cost in the USA is about $100 USD for a box of 20. at todays prices that would be approxmately $1200.00 Rand.

9,3 x 74 R - Norma
https://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Hunting/93x74-R/

Federal Premium Cape-Shok Rifle Ammunition
9.3x74R 286 gr SAF 2360 fps 20/box
9.3x74R 286 gr SAF 2360 fps - 20/box

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got quite a bit of ammo in that calibre, but it's Norma.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, while I think it will do the job with proper shot placement, I think it's light for buffalo. Not even legal everywhere. But then, I've never shot a buffalo with a .375.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found ammo with Swift A-Frame and TSX bullets. But NO solids.
If one of you friendly guys from the US comes to Cape Town, can’t you bring me a box of Federal 9,3x74R Cape Shock 286 grs Barnes Solids?

I’m working in the South African tourism industry, I’ll give you a 10% discount on your accommodation bookings.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
I have found ammo with Swift A-Frame and TSX bullets. But NO solids.
If one of you friendly guys from the US comes to Cape Town, can’t you bring me a box of Federal 9,3x74R Cape Shock 286 grs Barnes Solids?

I’m working in the South African tourism industry, I’ll give you a 10% discount on your accommodation bookings.

I think you need to visit your gun shop and have them order the ammunition you are looking for, best for all involved.

Problem becomes trying to bring ammo to South Africa that does not match your rifle.

Your best bet is to have some one bring bullets for reloading. That is something one can do with in your laws.

While a person's ammunition may or may not be checked, however, if your ammunition is checked and you have ammunition not matching your rifle, it is not worth going to jail over.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
While a person's ammunition may or may not be checked, however, if your ammunition is checked and you have ammunition not matching your rifle, it is not worth going to jail over.

You are right of course, didn’t think about that. Silly me...