THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    what scope bases & rings to buy for CZ550 416?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what scope bases & rings to buy for CZ550 416?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am in the process of buying a CZ550 416, what would everyone reccomend for scope rings and mounts.

I am looking at mounting a leupold VX III 1.5X5 20mm. I would like quick release mounts. Any part numbers as well as brand and model numbers would help as this is my first CZ, i've always used a bolts before and buying standard mounts is easy.

Cheers guys.

TM

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
Warne make 30mm medium QD rings, and recently I've picked up some 1" Lynx (by B Square) which are the lowest yet(and lightest). Not 'torture-tested them but they look OK for a light scope.Talleys are very slightly higher than the Lynx in 1".I've had no trouble with the CZ ring screws but they're too high for me (I still use them for some scopes because they're so rugged).I suggest a look at the Lynx website.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have QD Talleys on my cz550 in 375 and couldn't be happier.
The scope is the Leupold 1.5X5 you are considering.

Posts: 141 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got Warnes mounted to the integral rails on my CZ - they consistently return to within 5mm of zero at 100m. No scope movement in the rings.

Bought Warne Quick release for the benefit of having a prezeroed scope held in reserve should my sights get battered on a hunt.

Also have a red dot sight with one inch tube. That slots right on for driven hunts. Very happy. Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
You won't need bases because the CZ uses an integral base on the action like Ruger. For 1" rings I would use Talley. I mounted a 30mm S&B scope and had to use CZ's factory rings since Talley didn't have CZ rings in 30mm.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume that the dovetail on the CZ accepts those rings that clamp on to the dovetail and that you secure by tightening the screws on the side? If you take the scope off and put it back on...does it hold zero? Or do you need to resight?

I guess I could try myself on my .22LR and .22WMR, but if somebody knows off-hand....

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Burris Signature 1.5-6x with Posi-Lock on my Brno ZKK602 .416 Rigby. I used Brno rings as they were the only thing available at the time, but today I would get the Burris rings for CZs. Both can be found on the www.midwayusa.com website.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What longbob said.

For 1" scopes you can use Talleys. Talley used to make 30mm rings for the CZ action, but they told me some months ago that they have no plans to resume production.

For 30mm scopes, CZ rings will have to do (unless Warne or somebody else I'm unaware of also makes them).

The CZ rings aren't bad, but the ring screws are slotted and not heat treated--meaning with just a little too much torque the heads will deform and easily shear off--and they are a bit high for some stocks and people, although fine for my stock and me.

My CZ actioned custom rifle has a Swarovski PH 1.25-4x 30mm scope on it, so I am using the CZ rings. After I sheared off two of the factory screw heads, my gunsmith replaced the CZ ring screws with torx headed and heat treated 8x40s (the heads had to be turned down to a smaller diameter to fit in the top half ring screw holes) and I've been happy ever since.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yes, the rings screw onto the integral dovetails. The rear one has a recoil lug on it. Mine do indeed hold zero when removed and replaced.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, so i guess that i shouldn't put quick release rings on? surely someone must make a quick release mount that goes onto the standard rails? Leupold maybe? anyone got any experience there?

My thought is really if i have to go into the thick bush and need irons rather than a scope. Thanks for all your valuable advice. cheers, tm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a CZ550 in 375 H+H. My gunsmith told me that you could not get the bases for the LQR. So I bought the EAW bases and rings. Works great, but a lot more expensive than the LQR.

Posts: 44 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dear erik

where may i buy eaw base and rings fro the Cz 550, what size are the rings? 30mm or 1"?

thanks again. tm

one of us
Picture of DRB
posted Hide Post
Trapmonkey,

I use Warne QR mounts on my CZ550 Magnum in 375 H&H, with the same scope configuration you a talking about.

I'm very happy with mine!

Try this http://www.eabco.com/Warne01.html

Posts: 179 | Location: Durbanville, RSA | Registered: 15 April 2001Reply With Quote