Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maasai Association
 Login/Join

posted
I'm flip-flopping all over the place, as to the merits of this website.

Anyone care to peruse and opine? Maasai Association Thanks.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Will have to read it to see if it has any purpose...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I don't agree with everything in the article, there are certainly many valid points.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Although I don't agree with everything in the article, there are certainly many valid points.

Yeah Mike .. that's about where I am. Just as I begin to think I'm being conned, I read something which seems to make good sense. Hopefully, one of the fellows in-the-know will set us straight. I can see potential in supporting them, if all is on the up 'n up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe there is a lot of good information imparted by this website, although much of it is indirect. First, it points out the continuing and seeminly growing conflict especially in Kenya between the indigenous people and wildlife since hunting has been banned. It also points out how little the indigenous peoples benefit from eco tourism, while the "topocrats" as they put it bask in the largess of the greens groups and become fat and happy. It also points out that eventually unless the value of wildlife benefits the people that have to live in contact with it, both the people and the animals eventually suffer.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
While certainly an interesting article, there were several conflicting points in there. The writer discusses the overgrazing and its ecological impact, yet seems to endorse the need for more water for the Maasai, a token act of goodwill that the facts will show increases the carrying capacity of the land for Maasai cattle, which causes more grazing and more ecological damage.
Another conflict was shown when the writer says, "The law prohibits, through taboo, the Maasai people from consuming game meat. Every Maasai understands and abides by the rules of customary law." That may ordinarily be true, but this writer surely didn't see the Maasai coming to us when we were hunting in the Monduli area of Tanzania wanting handouts of meat.
The writer says the problem for the Maasai is "the scarcity of democracy," but then later says, "It has been determined that unequal distribution of wealth and power is a major problem." Hmmm....Sounds like a collision of political ideology here....
Lastly, in the article the Maasai are frequently called "indigenous." Did you know that in Kenya the government does not even recognize any of the 42 Maasai tribes as such? In the June 28, 2004 edition of the National Geographic, it says, "The Maasai were the original settlers in southern Kenya and northern Tanzania. According to Kenyan government policy, however, none of the 42 tribes in the country are recognized as indigenous. That's something the Maasai want to change. Gaining recognition as an indigenous people would entitle them to certain rights, like protection of their lands, which they don't have today." If you haven’t heard the theory about the origins of the Maasai and their possible connection to lost soldiers from Rome, you need to hear it.
I enjoyed the article, but I think a bit more research might have made it even better.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB:
I believe there is a lot of good information imparted by this website, although much of it is indirect. First, it points out the continuing and seeminly growing conflict especially in Kenya between the indigenous people and wildlife since hunting has been banned. It also points out how little the indigenous peoples benefit from eco tourism, while the "topocrats" as they put it bask in the largess of the greens groups and become fat and happy. It also points out that eventually unless the value of wildlife benefits the people that have to live in contact with it, both the people and the animals eventually suffer.

Agreed ... any other thoughts?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think the whole purpose of the site is to get "donations" of one sort or another.

They seem to think that the "Masai way of life" is an answer to everything, and all their plights are blamed on others.

Remembering how things in Afica work, I suspect this is going to develop into a future political activity.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Masai,what a healthy looking people!When I look at them in their beautiful country I feel they should make a donation to me.Imagine living in a country like that with plenty of sunshine and beautiful women that want to become wives!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The Maasai and other native African people do have their share of legitimate grievances against their governments.

I am particulary sympathetic to their claim, which is legitimate in my view, that their governments place a higher value on wildlife than they do on human beings, their livestock and their crops.

If it is government policy to value and protect wildlife at the expense of people and their property, and in many if not most African nations it is, then the government ought to be willing to back that up with compensation for those of their citizens who will inevitably become the victims of wildlife. But of course they can't or won't, owing to poverty and corruption - and mostly the latter.

Still, despite their legitimate grievances, I don't like the tendency of some to seek remedies that are all out of proportion or entirely unrelated to the harms they may have genuinely suffered. I see some of that in the claims of the Maasai as set forth on this website.

It's always interesting to see this kind of thing. One wonders what the future may bring. Thanks, Nick.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
The Maasai and other native African people do have their share of legitimate grievances against their governments.

I am particulary sympathetic to their claim, which is legitimate in my view, that their governments place a higher value on wildlife than they do on human beings, their livestock and their crops.

If it is government policy to value and protect wildlife at the expense of people and their property, and in many if not most African nations it is, then the government ought to be willing to back that up with compensation for those of their citizens who will inevitably become the victims of wildlife. But of course they can't or won't, owing to poverty and corruption - and mostly the latter.

Still, despite their legitimate grievances, I don't like the tendency of some to seek remedies that are all out of proportion or entirely unrelated to the harms they may have genuinely suffered. I see some of that in the claims of the Maasai as set forth on this website.

It's always interesting to see this kind of thing. One wonders what the future may bring. Thanks, Nick.

That's a big help to me .. very much appreciated ... thanks! thumb