New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teddy Roosevelt's Safari Talley
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here is a reproduction of the game taken (with rifle) by T.R. and son Kermit on their 1909 African Safari. If you'd like to see the article from which it was lifted go to http://www.vox.com/2015/7/29/9...ore-roosevelt-safari

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Interesting that Teddy didn't get the big Five, but Kermit did.

No bongo, kudu or sable for Teddy either.

Kermit seems to have had the 'better' safari IMO, even though he pulled the trigger 1/3 or so less often.

ETA
Cool list, thx for posting.
TR's African Game Trails is an enjoyable book IMO for those that haven't read it.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was at first a bit surprised that TR took no "koodoo". But the kudu, which is probably the most popular antelope with current African hunters, is a denizen of Southern Africa. TR was hunting mostly what is now Kenya and Uganda, so I suspect that KR's "koodoo" was the Lesser Kudu, not the Southern Greater Kudu. As I understand it, the Lesser Kudu isn't even that closely related to the Greater Kudu.

By the way, Kermit Roosevelt, Jr. (TR Grandson), Kim Roosevelt (TR Great-grandson), and Johnathon Roosevelt (TR Great-grandson) did a safari of their own in 1960 which partially attempted to follow the path of the TR 1909-1910 safari. One of them (Johnathan, I believe) wrote a book about it titled "Sentimental Safari". I read it many, many years ago.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
He shot 13 rhino, 8 elephant, 6 buffalo and 8 lions.

Maybe leopards were not of interest. Or he had no patience for them.

13 rhino is 13 more than all but a very few safari hunters.

The man is national treasure I would personally not care how many he killed.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

By the way, Kermit Roosevelt, Jr. (TR Grandson), Kim Roosevelt (TR Great-grandson), and Johnathon Roosevelt (TR Great-grandson) did a safari of their own in 1960 which partially attempted to follow the path of the TR 1909-1910 safari. One of them (Johnathan, I believe) wrote a book about it titled "Sentimental Safari". I read it many, many years ago.

As a Roosevelt aside,

His great grandson, Tweed, recreated TR's Brazilian expedition of the "River of Doubt" (later renamed Rio Roosevelt) in 1992.
I heard him speak on it later.

Cool stuff.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks Stonecreek for posting! I was just born a 100 years too late. Frowner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am assuming Roosevelt hunted Kenya?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I took that book with me when I went to Zim in 2013, light reading for the airplane.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Worth remembering that this was a collecting trip for the Smithsonian as much as a hunting trip.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10553 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I was told by the author one of the better biographies on Theodore Roosevelt that Mr. Roosevelt disliked being called "Teddy."

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
African game Trails to me is a must own book.
This safari and his subsequent book literally started it all in terms of the worldwide attention and fascination with safari.
I have several first editions of it

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek:

Thanks for posting. I acquired my first copy of African Game Trails when I was 8 years old and I was addicted to Africa from that point forward. The number of lion and rhino is incredible from our perspective over a hundred years later.

The number of buffalo is noteworthy for another reason. Look at how very few buffalo they killed on a very lengthy safari. This was shortly after the rinderpest outbreak that devastated the buffalo in East Africa.

Posts: 10380 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The list was probably prepared by Carl E. Akeley, the taxidermist who accompanied Roosevelt. Akeley later wrote "In Brightest Africa", ca 1936. Akeley invented the practice of using mannikins (Yes, they spell it that way.) instead of stuffing the mounts with straw, rags, etc. He did the big elephant diorama in the entry of the NY Museum of Natural History, and many of the other dioramas there. Don't miss it if you are passing through.

Akeley made several collecting trips to Africa, though he disliked hunting. He was accompanied by his wife, who very courageously saved his life on one trip. The book is a good read. Out of print, but available.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Brice,

thx for the Akeley book mention.

Just ordered a copy off abebooks.

Should be worth $8 shipped!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much would this safaris cost today?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
How much would this safaris cost today?

I think the hard part would be figuring out how many days would be required to have a reasonable shot at that bag?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trafrica.html

Expedition Costs
$50,000 from Smithsonian Museum appeal
$25,000 from Theodore Roosevelt
$25,000 from Andrew Carnegie

2005 equivalent = appx. $1.8 million dollars

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 3049 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Here is a reproduction of the game taken (with rifle) by T.R. and son Kermit on their 1909 African Safari. If you'd like to see the article from which it was lifted go to http://www.vox.com/2015/7/29/9...ore-roosevelt-safari

It's interesting to me that of all the animals on this list, it was a Roan that almost killed Kermit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I am assuming Roosevelt hunted Kenya?

Doc,

This trip started in British East Africa, led into the Belgian Congo, through the Nile, and ended in Khartoum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A safari to last a life time. Saeed just may catch up with 'um though.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote