THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    .303 Double in Namibia --picture heavy

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.303 Double in Namibia --picture heavy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As promised to Lee, whose gift of 50 Woodleigh 215 gr. RNSN made the hunt, this reports on three weeks at Byseewah Safaris whose website is www.Byseewah.com. Ken and Lynda Morris, friends since my first hunt there in 1994, provided an ideal hunting experience on foot, separately with Master Hunting Guides Moses Kashonga and Naftal Aebeb. Results included two Hartman mountain zebra for skins, eland cows for camp meat, a springbok, two gemsbok, including an old fellow who had a dislocated hip and was losing condition.

Two of the hunts stand out. The second zebra was in the blackthorn (acacia mellifera) that was just beginning to show its puffball white flowers. The stallion was perhaps 50 yards uphill. I fired offhand at the shoulder chevron stripes and the beast jumped, moved a bit further uphill and along the contour. Naftal and I quickly followed with no shot due to the thick bush, but the clearly distressed zebra looking, as Naftal put it, as if it was about to go down. We got to within about 30 yards as the zebra shook all over and then slowly came down towards us. A shooting lane presented itself and I put another 215 gr. Woodleigh into center chest. It fell. We looked for bullet holes once back at Byseewah for skinning. There was only one, the second shot at center chest. Best guess is that the first shot tipped a branch and then, tumbling, hit the zebra either in the neck or the head, dazing it. Without the second shot it could have escaped us.

We were looking over an old gemsbok bull of no great trophy merit as it approached the water at Freedom Dam. It stood there eyeing us as we sat in the vehicle about 150 yards away. Binos out, my Leica 10x42 and Mo's Svarovski 10x42, we could see something wasn't right. Finally the old bull turned and limped quickly away from us, moving north into the blackthorn. We moved the vehicle west, got out and walked quietly into the area north of the water; there Mo picked up the tracks. We bumped that old bull six times following him for two and a half hours across the dry river bed into mopane and back across the dry river bed into heavy blackthorn cover. At the sixth bump and run, I said to Mo that another 15 minutes would do me, and we would head back for lunch. We kept on the spoor and an astonished Mo suddenly said, "There he I, down." And there he was on his side and breathing heavily. A bullet in the brain finished him. Butchering showed a badly dislocated left back hip. He was a old bull of 32 or so inches, but even an old gemsbok produces a delicious and adequately tender meal.

The .303 double with the Trijicon RMR06 performed splendidly as the targets below show. I recovered two bullets from the first eland cow. One retained just over 207 grains and the second 187 grains with good mushrooming. During the last week, I took the opportunity to try Ken's lefthanded Mauser 03 bolt rifle with a Zeiss scope. It was heavier than the .303 but handled well and served to put down the old gemsbok bull.

Old French friends arrived for a few days hunting, and then all six of us went off for 9 days across Etosha to the old Caprivi strip (now Kavango) where we stayed in the Mamili, renamed Nkasa Lupara, just off the edge of the park and then over to Serondela Lodge on the Chobe River, ending aboard one of the Zambezi Queen boats.

A wonderful five weeks in Southern Africa included some very fine meals and South African wine, notably from Rust-en-Vrede. Byseewah produced zebra steaks, a pofadder from one of the eland, beef and oxtail and great salads from the garden. A game pie included the first two francolin shot at Byseewah which now has a huntable population of what is now called "spurfowl," rabbit, including one shot with my Darne 10 gauge near the garden inside the residential compound, sand grouse and guinea fowl. Food on the excursion was not as good, but some of the six of us managed to gain weight nonetheless...

Regards, Tim

NOTE: The .303 may be for sale. Please PM if interested.

NOTE 2: I simply could not get some of these down in size despite posting them as "small thumbnails from imgur… Tried again by resizing originals smaller -- no luck

The rifle, made by Holland&Holland in 1997. Now can take a reflex sight rather than a telescope

100meter with the Trijicon RMR06

100 meters with the reflex sight. Note the two bullets taken from a cow eland

The bar in the lapa at Byseewah with the newly-arrived hyena taken last year

Naftal and the zebra stallion with the .303 double

Large eland cow for camp meat

Mo and the old gemsbok bull with the left-handed Mauser bolt rifle

Two red-billed spurfowl hens and the Darne R-16 2-7/8 chambered 10 gauge

Fresh cheetah tracks at Byseewah with .303 cartridge for scale

Mating pair of pale chanting goshawks at Byseewah

Ruppell's Parrot at Byseewah Middle Water hole
Byseewah has 11 waterholes using solar-powered pumps and three land dams

Not so neighborly snare for warthog on the Byseewah fenceline

Golden eagle with Burchell's zebra at Etosha

Lion in the grass at Etosha

Kudu, springbok, zebra at Etosha

Thought from the forehead that this Etosha ele was a cow, wrong...

In the Nkasa Lupara

Warthog rooting for tender grass

Transport on the channel between the Chobe and Zambezi Rivers

Fisherman in his mokoro on the Chobe

Tiger fishing on the Chobe -- no luck

Ele making its way across a channel on the Chobe

Young bulls in dominance play in the Chobe

Alarmed lioness and cubs on the Chobe banks

Fish eagle pair on the Chobe

cormorant with breakfast

Elephant sunset on the Chobe

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done Tim, glad to see you are still keeping on.

What, no Hornet double?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like an awesome fun trip glad you went and had fun !

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great photos, thanks for posting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Congratulations on a fine hunt!

Who installed the sight on your double?

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ Perodeau cut the dovetail into the rib behind the back sight, 470E. He also provided a base for the Trijicon RMR06 that I did not use, already having a base on the RMR that worked, butted up against the back sight for a recoil stop. As you see from the targets, took some fiddling with windage and elevation to get the red dot on at 100 meters.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tim,

With some reluctance I sent my 470 Evans this week to have JJ put the Doctor Optic sight put on it.

It's either that or don't use it because I can't see the sights any longer.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done, what a great hunt and with a classic double rifle. Vey well done sir

Tim