Find
Notify
Tools

WDM Bell's Pistol
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
I am trying to figure out what caliber and model Bell's Mauser pistol (AKA: Bom Bom) was... In "Bell of Africa" he writes, "...a Mauser pistol which could be used as a carbine.." Have been thinking he was probably using a Mauser Model 1896 "Broomhandle" with a detachable stock. Can anyone confirm? Also have been looking through my library but can't find a reference to a cartridge or caliber for it. Does anyone know? Was it written in one of his books? If so, where? Any help appreciated.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of that era, the likely candidate would be a broom handle mauser (they had the convertable carbine stock) in 9mm.

But that's a WAG on my part.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the .30 mauser

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read that it was a Broom Handle in .30 Mauser

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
My guess is also the broom handle Mauser in 7.65mm.

Maybe Alf our resident Mauser expert knows?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:

Do you know where exactly you read that? Not trying to second guess you but want to be sure.

I was thinking either 30 Mauser or 9mm. Can anyone say for certain?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An artillery Mauser in .30 Mauser. Was auctioned off years ago along with Bell's .22 savage. When the UK banned handgun ownership there was a frantic rush to get it out of the UK and it came through Zim.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
How much did Bell's pistol go for at auction?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulldog563:
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:

Do you know where exactly you read that? Not trying to second guess you but want to be sure.

I was thinking either 30 Mauser or 9mm. Can anyone say for certain?

If I'm not mistaken, all artillery Mausers were chambered for 30 Mauser!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course all 9mm mausers had the red 9 on the grips. I think that only a small number were manufactured during WWI. So, the odds are it was 7.63, unless Bell bought a 9mm after the war

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
It was the Lugers that was called Artillery. I believe it was a standard broomhandle he ahd, and a good pistol it is for such a great shot as he was.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned an old broomhandle in 7.63 for years, and it was a fun gun to shoot and look play with while watching old spy movies of the '30-'40's. Of course even with the stock attached it wobbled a bit since the connectors are not a force fit, but all in all I still prefer my 1911

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr rigby:
It was the Lugers that was called Artillery. I believe it was a standard broomhandle he ahd, and a good pistol it is for such a great shot as he was.

The Broom handle Mauser also had an artillery model.
It had a wooden scabbard that doubled as a butstock, and all of them were 30 Mauser, had a ladder type sight, and a 11 or 12" barrel!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
for macd37
i have never seen an "artillery" broomhandle mauser m 96. i honestly think you are confusing this with the 8" bbl "artillery" luger.

the only mausers with longer barrels were the carbines which had a rifle type stock but it attached to the area above the pistolgrip which was now incorporated into the stock. there was no provision for storing it in the stock.

i've been doing gunshows for 40+ years and never saw or even heard of an "artillery" broomhandle and i collected them at one time.

of note - churchill had a broomhandle mauser that he used in the boar war. these were well thought of pistols !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
for macd37
i have never seen an "artillery" broomhandle mauser m 96. i honestly think you are confusing this with the 8" bbl "artillery" luger.

the only mausers with longer barrels were the carbines which had a rifle type stock but it attached to the area above the pistolgrip which was now incorporated into the stock. there was no provision for storing it in the stock.

i've been doing gunshows for 40+ years and never saw or even heard of an "artillery" broomhandle and i collected them at one time.

of note - churchill had a broomhandle mauser that he used in the boar war. these were well thought of pistols !

My mistake! Since war weapons are not my thing, I was relying on a 70 yr old memory, that didn't store much war weapon information,to start with, and I guess I got it wrong!
sofa

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thad Scott has Bells 22 high power for sale if anyone is interested! A bit pricey at $20K+!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote