THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Poacher killed and eaten by pride of lions he was hunting leaving only his head

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poacher killed and eaten by pride of lions he was hunting leaving only his head
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/...pride-lions-12012106

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't really say the reporting is accurate, about all they got right is that a poacher has been killed by lions.

Posts: 403 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy ending.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

Where do you dig up this stuff? You come up with some of the most interesting and obscure articles. Keep 'em coming!

Sam

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 15 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
456?

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although some might think "poetic justice", still a tough way to go IMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
“Two .456 big game rifles and ammunition were found at the scene and that is weapon of choice and is used by those hunting big game ..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Dammit Kathy I was just going to post this story Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trust The Mirror to get nothing factual correct.

I've been after one of those .456s for a long time now. Anyone know where I can get dies?

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Dammit Kathy I was just going to post this story Big Grin

You have to be fast to beat our Kathy to the punch!

I've been sent this story twice by email and text already this morning.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
FANDAMNTASTIC!!!! Bastard got what he deserved!!!!!!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
"It is now the only means available to police of identifying the alleged poacher - who was carrying no documents when he was attacked"

It seems a good place to start would be to look for lions with indigestion?

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
456?

More likely a typing error - .458 but no mention if Lott or Win Mag. Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The report I got from someone on the scene was one rifle only, no mention of calibre.

What scares me is the quality of reporting, reading in the press about something in my field of expertise which is I can judge to value and is often obvious nonsense and then thinking about all the stuff I read which I take at face value but is not qualified to judge the content.....

Posts: 403 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD999:
“Two .456 big game rifles and ammunition were found at the scene and that is weapon of choice and is used by those hunting big game ..."

This is proof that the .456 is inadequate for lions. A true lion hunter needs a .654.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I think is screwy about the story.
Various places it says: "killed and EATEN, only the head left, then other times: bloody body.

Which is it???
Typical news or newspaper writing. Most that put such nonsense out have no clue what happened nor the details.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/...cher-eaten-by-lions/

Family IDs severed head of suspected poacher eaten by lions

By Jamie Pyatt, The Sun February 14, 2018 | 11:22am

A suspected poacher who was killed and eaten by the pride of lions he was stalking has been named as David Baloyi, 50, who had crossed over the South African border to hunt game.

Baloyi and two other armed men had trekked from a village in Mozambique carrying powerful hunting rifles into the Umbabat Game Reserve in Limpopo Province late on Friday night.

Unusually, the group chose not to hunt by the light of a full moon but instead in darkness and had either been surprised or were stalked by a pride of lions who attacked them in the bush.

Big cat hunter Baloyi was mauled by the very lions he was tracking and his screams for help panicked the two other poachers who fled leaving behind two .456 Winchester rifles.

The rifle is the weapon of choice for big game hunters and can fell rhinos and elephants. Both were loaded and a quantity of ammunition was found nearby that had been abandoned.

Lieutenant Colonel Moatshe Ngoepe of the South African Police Service said that the lions had almost entirely devoured Baloyi’s body and only the head was left to identify the suspect by.

He said the dead mans’ sister-in-law received a phone call from her family in Mozambique telling her that the two other poachers had said he had been eaten by lions in South Africa.

Lieutenant Colonel Ngoepe said:”The incident happened on Friday last week when it was believed the three suspected illegal poachers were attacked by a group of lions in the park.”

“The deceased was killed and eaten by these lions.”

“The other two managed to escape the attack and fled back to their home country, Mozambique, and they then reported their ordeal to the family and the sister-in-law was telephoned.”

“She confirmed she also heard over the radio an unknown person was killed by lions and that anyone who could help with the identification should go to Hoedspruit Police Station.”

“She went to the police station and was taken to the Maphutha Malatji Hospital Mortuary outside Phalaborwa where she identified the deceased as David Baloyi, aged 50.”

“There was only the head to identify him by and it was not in good condition and there was a lot of blood but we have now got a positive identification and we are satisfied it is him.”

“He was from the Masingiri area at Mavudza Village in Mozambique.”

“The police are still investigating the possibility that the deceased might have been a poacher after hunting rifles and ammunition were found in the vicinity of the scene.”

“Subsequent to the gruesome discovery the police have opened an inquest for further investigations and we are asking for anyone with further information to come forward.”

The alarm was raised when the poacher’s screams for help were heard but the lions quickly killed the man and devoured almost all his body before being chased off by gunshots.

The killing comes just months after poacher Luteni Muhararukua was charged and killed by a rhino he was hunting for its horn in nearby Namibia.

A local worker, who works at a nearby nature reserve, described the area as lion territory.

British wildlife photographer Charlie Lynam, 59, from Liverpool, who now lives close to the Umbabat Game Reserve where the lions attacked Baloyi has spent years photographing the resident lion pride that lives there.

He arrived at the gates shortly after the alarm was raised and the paramedics had raced in.

Lynam was told that the suspected poacher had been killed and that not a lot was left of him — mainly just his head.

Lynam said: “We were told that there were three suspected poachers and that it was thought they had come over the border possibly following a pride of lions that had crossed over from the Kruger into Umbabat.”

“Two .456 big game rifles and ammunition were found at the scene and that is the weapon of choice of big game hunters and is used by those hunting big cats or elephant and rhino in the bush.”

“I cannot say if it was poachers as yet as the matter is under investigation but poachers usually work in groups of three and are usually active on a full moon so they can see what is about them.”

“Unusually, there was no moon and it would have been pitch black so they would not have seen the lions but obviously the lion is a hunter – especially in darkness – and they would have been easy prey.”

“Two sets of footprints have been found running away and obviously what was left of the dead and eaten man.”

“There were no anti-poaching groups in the area at the time and nobody was working there so although speculation it would seem very possible that you have poetic justice here.”

“Lions are not a particular danger in daylight but after dark is another matter. It is purely speculation on my part but it would seem they either walked into a pride of lions in the darkness or they were stalked and attacked and a man was taken down and eaten.”

He added: “The other two it seems ran off and two .456 big game rifles were found and ammunition. If you go out walking in the bush in the dark then I am afraid you are fair game in the wild and there is no way that anyone can attribute any blame to those lions for this kill.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Now watch if the Moz authorities get involved they will eventually drop the case for lack of evidence;
since they were unable to find any .456 ammo or rifles! lol

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when illegals cross an unprotected border!

Note to Trump...ditch the wall idea and begin an African Lion endangered species program along the Mexican Border...the liberals will love it!

Win-Win