THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tanzania issues new resolutions on several hunting regulations and fees

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania issues new resolutions on several hunting regulations and fees
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
www.huntingreport.com

Tanzania Issues New Resolutions On Several Hunting Regulations and Fees

(posted July 01, 2013)

Just as the season is opening, Tanzania has announced several regulations and fee changes affecting hunters headed there this season. According to a memo from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism, the resolutions were discussed over a series of meetings with industry stakeholders, including operator and professional hunting associations. While most of the resolutions are positive moves forward on suggestions and requests from industry stakeholders, a number of the resolutions are sure to make some hunters less than happy.

Among the key points that might interest traveling hunters are these:

1) Hunters will be allowed to switch from one safari company to another within the same safari package, but must pay a conservation fee of $300 to $800 (US) depending on the length of the safari.

2) 28-day hunting packages will now be offered to maximize quota usage.

3) Children under 18 will not be allowed to hunt in Tanzania, due to a regulation in the Wildlife Conservation Act of 2009. However, children (including those under 12) may accompany their parents as observers. If you have a family safari booked to Tanzania and expected your teenager to do some hunting, you should contact your operator immediately.

4) Bowhunting is now allowed for croc and hippo at double the fee for rifle hunters.

5) Baiting is now allowed for large carnivores (as long as the animal is on the license) without prior approval.

6) Community development fees are now paid directly to the villages by the safari companies instead of through the Wildlife Division.

7) Elephant prices have gone up. In 2012, prices for rifle hunters were $7,500 for tusks of 15 to 27 kg, $12,000 for 27-32 kg, and $20,000 for ivory over 32 kg. For 2013, the prices are $8,500, $15,000 and $21,900 respectively. Bowhunting fees are $10,479, $17,000 and $26,190 respectively.

8) Safari companies now have up to 42 days from the completion of the safari to pay all of the game fees.

We have placed the complete memo on our website under Web Uploads for interested readers.

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/i...ANIA_RESOLUTIONS.pdf

Resolutions.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do those trophy fees go to the Tz government? ...

... and so the trophy fees paid by the hunter to the outfitter would therefore actually be higher?

Just curious.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
Do those trophy fees go to the Tz government? ... Yes, and if they are not paid within the specified time frame the GD will not issue further GHPs until the out-standings are settled.

... and so the trophy fees paid by the hunter to the outfitter would therefore actually be higher? Not necessarily so - some outfitters impose a %age which goes towards Comunity Development and anti-poaching programs but there are instances which foresee unexplained hikes.

Just curious.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just as the season is opening, Tanzania has announced several regulations and fee changes affecting hunters headed there this season.

That one sentence right there shows how little the Tanzania Game Department knows about the industry they are involved in.

They really do believe any fee change will be absorbed, without a second thought, by the "wealthy hunters". They did it in 2007 raising the prices dramatically. They closed Lion and Ostrich (yes, Ostrich) hunting in the middle of July in 2005 (? or was it '07?). Hunters in the field, hunting Lion ... Tanz GD needed to reevaluate the Lion and Ostrich hunting.

Ridiculous how their brains work ... or don't work, in this case. They probably actually think that a July 1 statement is at the exact right time since the season opens that day.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adamsdjr:
My son and myself are scheduled to leave for Tanzania on July 13. We were each booked for a 21 day safari. according to the info posted above now he will not be able to hunt. I have sent a note to the safari operator and our booking agent. My son was the reason I booked the hunt. I have not told him yet, waiting to get more information. I hope there is a happy ending to this but it is not looking good now!

Unbelievable. Fingers crossed that this works out. Who are you hunting with?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always assumed that the trophy fees were a big part of the outfitters' profit margin.

quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
Do those trophy fees go to the Tz government? ... Yes, and if they are not paid within the specified time frame the GD will not issue further GHPs until the out-standings are settled.

... and so the trophy fees paid by the hunter to the outfitter would therefore actually be higher? Not necessarily so - some outfitters impose a %age which goes towards Comunity Development and anti-poaching programs but there are instances which foresee unexplained hikes.

Just curious.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Wendell points out, they've done it before and it didn't work out that well. Here we go again. I wonder what that will do to my fees this year.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:

Just as the season is opening, Tanzania has announced several regulations and fee changes affecting hunters headed there this season.

That one sentence right there shows how little the Tanzania Game Department knows about the industry they are involved in.

They really do believe any fee change will be absorbed, without a second thought, by the "wealthy hunters". They did it in 2007 raising the prices dramatically. They closed Lion and Ostrich (yes, Ostrich) hunting in the middle of July in 2005 (? or was it '07?). Hunters in the field, hunting Lion ... Tanz GD needed to reevaluate the Lion and Ostrich hunting.

Ridiculous how their brains work ... or don't work, in this case. They probably actually think that a July 1 statement is at the exact right time since the season opens that day.

Totally agree with you Wendell.

Why cannot they issue new regulations to go into effect next year?

It would have made more sense.

The silliest one about young hunters.

There are adults whop have no business going hunting.

And there are 13 year olds who better than them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF THE IDIOTS WHO RUN TZ. HUNTING. these morons assume everyone who hunts Tz is rich and will just bend over and allow a good screwing. shouldn't surprise anyone- it isn't the first time these fools have waited till the last minute to shaft visiting hunters. thanks God i got to hunt there 10 years ago before the name of the game was f--k the hunter. i'm sure the TZ PH posters will try to rationalize/spin this- BUT IT WON'T WORK!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jdollar:

It is easy to generalize and lambast at will; you ought to realize that in greater part most of these hikes are motivated by the same people who post higher trophy fees and lower daily rates creating an eye opener to the GD authorities.

By comparison however, the TZ trophy fees are probably far lower than most other places - daily rates?.....yes, I agree are pretty high but costs across the board in Tanzania are higher than most of those other countries.

Now before blowing your horn any further why don't you embark on some fact-finding about the cost of living, the hurdles and obstructions in running a business in Tanzania?

It is frustrating and damn expensive and that is all there is to it !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time to boycott Tanzania..... The costs are just getting ridiculous and it appear the government is in no need for our business or tourists. There are plenty Of great destinations in Africa for a great safari...a message needs to be sent. I am sorry about the outfitters but enough is enough.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Africans do not comprehend principles that are obvious to us, such as predictability being essential to healthy commerce and capital investment. This applies also to property ownership, an honest legal system, proper monetary policy, etc. How many generations will be required to advance from tribal to first world culture?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
quote:
Originally posted by Adamsdjr:
My son and myself are scheduled to leave for Tanzania on July 13. We were each booked for a 21 day safari. according to the info posted above now he will not be able to hunt. I have sent a note to the safari operator and our booking agent. My son was the reason I booked the hunt. I have not told him yet, waiting to get more information. I hope there is a happy ending to this but it is not looking good now!

Unbelievable. Fingers crossed that this works out. Who are you hunting with?

+1

I am so sorry to hear about this....nobody should have to deal with a situation like that. Best of luck my friend.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I don't see me ever going to TZ. I would love to but I can do everything somewhere else for 30-50% of the price. Too bad, I guess they don't want or need my money.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1263 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
I don't see me ever going to TZ. I would love to but I can do everything somewhere else for 30-50% of the price. Too bad, I guess they don't want or need my money.

Brain1:
We (PHs & Outfitters) certainly do want & need your business! Tanzania has many species you can't get "somewhere else". I dont think anyplace else offers near as many available species. example: We have 2 kinds wildebeests, 2 kudus, 2 hartebeests, 3 reedbucks, 2 duikers, 2 waterbucks, 2 sables...etc. There's some species not found in Southern africa like gerenuk, lesser kudu, FE oryx, kirk dik dik, grant & tommy gazelle, topi, etc. Also (IMO) the biggest & best buffalo & lion hunting anywhere. All coupled with a great East African wild hunting experience. Regards prices: Not all TZ outfitters are priced the same....you just have to shop around. So a bit confused by your statement "can do everything somewhere else for 30% -50% of the price". I think you are comparing apples & oranges my friend. I invite you to try hunting Tanzania one time and I think you will see. Its really the Last of Old Africa!

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I have been over 8 times so I'm not an expert. I go to DSC & SCI every year for past 8-10 years. Where is affordable TZ outfitters????
I'm still looking.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1263 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
quote:

Brain1:
We (PHs & Outfitters) certainly do want & need your business! Tanzania has many species you can't get "somewhere else". I dont think anyplace else offers near as many available species. example: We have 2 kinds wildebeests, 2 kudus, 2 hartebeests, 3 reedbucks, 2 duikers, 2 waterbucks, 2 sables...etc. There's some species not found in Southern africa like gerenuk, lesser kudu, FE oryx, kirk dik dik, grant & tommy gazelle, topi, etc. Also (IMO) the biggest & best buffalo & lion hunting anywhere. All coupled with a great East African wild hunting experience. Regards prices: Not all TZ outfitters are priced the same....you just have to shop around. So a bit confused by your statement "can do everything somewhere else for 30% -50% of the price". I think you are comparing apples & oranges my friend. I invite you to try hunting Tanzania one time and I think you will see. Its really the Last of Old Africa!

Obviously all PHs & Outfitters are in need of our business and not only in TZ and i am sure a lot of hunters will continue to support TZ despite these stupid situations that of course not your fault.
Tanzania is a great place to hunt , extremely expensive that is a fact but fantastic experience.
Now , to say that Tanzania it is really the Last of Old Africa , you must be joking !
To say that Tanzania is the best place for lion and buffalo , it is merely your opinion but surely not mine. Unless you just look to buffalos only by the inch which is not my case !
If , as you said , we start to shop around , and comparing apples to apples , absolutely sure we will find in other countries the same quality with 30% of the price so i agree with Brain1.
Each country has each own fantasy , each country has apples and oranges , we just need to know before starting shpping if we want to buy apples or oranges....

I love Tz but Zim and Mozambique , with the good operators , are at this moment my preferable places to hunt , experience , price and quality wise.
And Just fyi i hunted several times Tz !
Just my opinion.

All the best

Posts: 208 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tanz-Ph, there is no place on earth that compares to Tanzania. The game department knows it and that's fine. But they need to understand that they can't change the rules after folks have booked. It's just bad business.

My contracts have always said that I bear the risk of changes in government fees. I understand that and as a principal, have no problem with that. As long as the fee changes are reasonable and prospective.

Tanzania has a nasty habit of changing the fees in a manner that is retrospective. It's not going to keep me from going to Tanzania, but it will keep some from being willing to book there. As I said, bad business.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
other than the western( Masaiiland) plains game species such as lesser kudu, gerenuk, etc., there is nothing there you can't hunt elsewhere. i am not a species/inches collector trying to punch spaces in an SCI CIRCLE BOOK. many parts of Moz and other places are every bit as wild( although that is, in itself, a stupid term as blacks have always lived all over Africa and for sure you will see plenty of locals in the Masaii areas). read the comments, Tz PH's. people who bother to do a bit of research know they are going into a situation blind, paying more than almost ANYWHERE else in Africa for COMPARABLE hunts and hoping for the best. i have seen a lot more plains game, buffalo, elephants, etc. in several other countries than i saw in the Selous( don't remember the block number but it was bordered by the Kilombero River, leased by Pano Calavrias, and sub-leased by Adam Clements). i fully realize that the outfitters/PH's have no control over the corrupt officials actually running the train wreck but please don't try to make chicken salad out of chicken shit and call it a good deal....

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been over 8 times so I'm not an expert. I go to DSC & SCI every year for past 8-10 years. Where is affordable TZ outfitters????
I'm still looking.

Brian, when you find one that charges less than $2000/day for a 10 day buffalo/plains game hunt( including the USUAL anti- poaching/community development/ govt conservation/area access fees, taxes, etc.), let me know and we can go there when we leave Cameroon. it doesn't help much if trophy fees are $1000 less when the rest of the "fees" tack on another $5000. of course, you always have the "cheap" charters" to save a bit overall clap

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
The Africans do not comprehend principles that are obvious to us, such as predictability being essential to healthy commerce and capital investment. This applies also to property ownership, an honest legal system, proper monetary policy, etc. How many generations will be required to advance from tribal to first world culture?

They have yet to understand that if you throw a rock into a pond, you will get ripples, the bigger the rock, the bigger the ripples. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Would any of our outfitter friends on here like to post details of full bag safaris in different African countries with their prices?

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Isn't it comforting to know that you can ALWAYS rely on an African Government to stuff things up and make them as complicated as humanly possible at every turn! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Would any of our outfitter friends on here like to post details of full bag safaris in different African countries with their prices?

"Full Bag" as in not less than 20 different species in one concession and up to a possible 30+ splitting the hunt between 2 areas. Wink

P.S. ALL game in Tanzania is natural, i.e. no genetic fiddling, no fence lines.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indi:
quote:
quote:

Brain1:

Obviously all PHs & Outfitters are in need of our business and not only in TZ and i am sure a lot of hunters will continue to support TZ despite these stupid situations that of course not your fault.
Tanzania is a great place to hunt , extremely expensive that is a fact but fantastic experience.
Now , to say that Tanzania it is really the Last of Old Africa , you must be joking !
To say that Tanzania is the best place for lion and buffalo , it is merely your opinion but surely not mine. Unless you just look to buffalos only by the inch which is not my case !
If , as you said , we start to shop around , and comparing apples to apples , absolutely sure we will find in other countries the same quality with 30% of the price so i agree with Brain1.
Each country has each own fantasy , each country has apples and oranges , we just need to know before starting shpping if we want to buy apples or oranges....

I love Tz but Zim and Mozambique , with the good operators , are at this moment my preferable places to hunt , experience , price and quality wise.
And Just fyi i hunted several times Tz !
Just my opinion.

All the best

Being licensed Professional Hunter in Tanzania for many years, I guess I already know that the wildlife dept does things from time to time that make absolutely no sense at all! I feel very bad for the guy who booked a hunt with his young son! It's not a proper thing for wildlife dept to do. Hopefully he may still be allowed to hunt. I also realize what a sheer headache it will be for the outfitter! But not all of those new regulation changes were negative. Some were positive. #1) allow clients to switch outfitters, positive. #2) Allow client to hunt 28 days, Positive. #4) Allow bow hunting Positive. #5) allow baiting, Positive. #6) Outfitter pays Comm Developement directly. This way the cash will actually go to the villages, Positive. #8)must pay TFs in 28 days. (clients should pay for what they shot when the safari is finished anyway. Moot point. If people want to call TZ wildlife dept morans, idiots, etc and shout for a general boycott...well, I hate to hear it, but guess you certainly have that right to do so.
Brain's original comment was that he thought he could "get everything" found in tanzania for half the price somewhere else. I did not think that was a quite accurate statement, and I still don't.
Having previously hunted (as a PH, and also personal hunts) in southern african countries, I believe Tanzania is the best. If south Africa & Zim hunting is as good as Tanzania hunting, why are so very many PHs from those countries coming in droves to get licensed and hunt in Tanzania??? I talked to many of them, and all tell me Tanzania is great, and is still the "Old Africa". No, I'm not joking. But yes Sir, you are correct: it is just an opinion. When I say Old Africa, I am mainly comparing it to the other MAJOR hunting destinations, i.e. Zim, Mozambique, namibia, botswana and south africa.
Yes, it is also my opinion (and many others too) that TZ has best (WILD) lion & buffalo. Lion may be debatable, but facts are facts: Tanzania has the BIGGEST BUFFALO on the planet. Not just talking about trophy quality (Inches),It also possibly has the highest populations of buffalo (according to many reports I've read). That is why the TZ Wildlife Dept allows you to shoot 2 trophy bulls on short 7 day hunt, and 3 bulls on 21 days. Can you do that in these other countries??? (unless you are shooting them in a fenced ranch) I don't think so.
Not my desire to get into a huge pissing contest here...but yes, I still believe it is pretty much comparing apples & oranges.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am a bit at a loss here regarding baiting.

For so many years, leopards and lions hunters have been baiting.

Has this been against the law?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same question about baiting, Saeed.

Headed over in 3 months -- late season. The elephant change is likely to affect me, but it's not major.

I'll likely book the next trip during this one. That seems to be a pattern.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I am a bit at a loss here regarding baiting.

For so many years, leopards and lions hunters have been baiting.

Has this been against the law?

same question but no answer, it seems. if it has, in fact, been illegal, there are a lot of US citizens who have violated the Lacey Act..... food for thought, eh?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have received a few messages basically saying the same thing.

That it was not allowed, unless permission has been taken, and that the authorities had no wish to enforce it, as it will basically stop cat hunting.

So they have turning a blind eye to it, and now they have made it legal.

Another suggestion was made that "permission to use bait was given" by the presence of the game scout, who does not object to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:

Wendell,
You are assuming their brains are actually working. Like our beloved US politicians, the Tanzania guys are milking the goose for all it will give- much like Obamacare.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tanzania has the BIGGEST BUFFALO on the planet. Not just talking about trophy quality (Inches),It also possibly has the highest populations of buffalo (according to many reports I've read).

According to studies by the Frankfurt Zoological Society, Tanzania has more buffalo than all the other southern and east African countries put together.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Please tell me what the total cost from arrival to departure for a buffalo hunt or leopard hunt or even a planisgame only hunt is in TZ. I'm not just looking at trophy fees.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please tell me what the total cost from arrival to departure for a buffalo hunt or leopard hunt or even a planisgame only hunt is in TZ. I'm not just looking at trophy fees.

I think there are quite a number of variations to hunts in Tanzania.

Why don't you be more specific with your requirements?

For instance, state the animals you wish to hunt, and how long you wish to hunt.

It might be an idea to start a new thread.

I am sure many of the reputable outfitters will be able to give you a price.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
7 day buffalo or 14 day leopard your choice.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
7 day buffalo or 14 day leopard your choice.

Buff are on a 10 day licence & leopard on a 21.

Also prices vary enormously dependent on quality of camp area & company.

Article #15 HERE & other pages on the site might give you a point of reference from which to start your research:

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
You are making my point for me, thanks.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to address a few points which will hopefully clarify a number of issues:

1- Hunters under the age of 18 ARE allowed to hunt in Tz. The Minister has personally gotten involved (took a bit of proding from yours truly) to revoke the regulation in the circulated letter.
2- TANZ -PH has already explained the positives of the remaining decisions aptly and I certainly concur with him.
3- Baiting: While the previous legislation that governed hunting appeared to prohibit baiting as a hunitng method, there was a written consent by the Director of Wildlife back in the old days of Government Monopoly written to the GM of TAWICO (who controlled all hunting in Tz)allowing baiting. That letter exists somewhere in the deep archives of the wildlife Dpt if anyone cares to search for it. So NO Lacey Act violations!! This new Regulations simply formalizes the status quo and will be further formalized under the new Regulations soon to be released.
4- The ONLY fee increase is a "transfer fee" applicable when a client hunting in a block owned by company A needs to hunt in a block owned by company B - usually in search of specific species not found in company A blocks - of between $300 and $800. I would suspect that most operators would be willing to absorb this minimal fee with no consequence to the hunter. I also doubt this insignificant increase is going to turn away hundreds of prospective hunters from coming to Tz. Nor should it, IMHO, be cause for a boycott of TZ as a hunitng destination.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
I would like to address a few points which will hopefully clarify a number of issues:

1- Hunters under the age of 18 ARE allowed to hunt in Tz. The Minister has personally gotten involved (took a bit of proding from yours truly) to revoke the regulation in the circulated letter.
2- TANZ -PH has already explained the positives of the remaining decisions aptly and I certainly concur with him.
3- Baiting: While the previous legislation that governed hunting appeared to prohibit baiting as a hunitng method, there was a written consent by the Director of Wildlife back in the old days of Government Monopoly written to the GM of TAWICO (who controlled all hunting in Tz)allowing baiting. That letter exists somewhere in the deep archives of the wildlife Dpt if anyone cares to search for it. So NO Lacey Act violations!! This new Regulations simply formalizes the status quo and will be further formalized under the new Regulations soon to be released.
4- The ONLY fee increase is a "transfer fee" applicable when a client hunting in a block owned by company A needs to hunt in a block owned by company B - usually in search of specific species not found in company A blocks - of between $300 and $800. I would suspect that most operators would be willing to absorb this minimal fee with no consequence to the hunter. I also doubt this insignificant increase is going to turn away hundreds of prospective hunters from coming to Tz. Nor should it, IMHO, be cause for a boycott of TZ as a hunitng destination.

Mich,

Thank you for clarifying this, especially regarding the bait.

Some crook from South Africa has brought this to my attention, saying that all our hunts for cats have been illegal.

Of course, he conveniently forgot all the crooked and unethical things he was doing with so called "trophy" hunters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich, thanks for getting involved. As a father taking a son on his first safari your intervention is much appreciated!