THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Namibia: Etosha National Park Fence a Worry

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia: Etosha National Park Fence a Worry
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Namibia: Etosha National Park Fence a Worry - MP

The Namibian (Windhoek)

December 12, 2006
Posted to the web December 12, 2006

Absalom Shigwedha

A SWAPO MP in the National Council (NC) says he is concerned about the maintenance of the fences around the Etosha National Park.

Bartholomeus Shangheta told the House that wildlife escaping from the park were causing problems for nearby farmers.

"One wonders whether this national park is maintained properly with the purpose to protect the lives of people against the dangerous wild animals such as lions and elephants, just to mention but a few," he said.

He said elephants and lions were causing problems at commercial farms in his Otavi constituency in the Otjozondjupa Region.

"The movements of these animals in commercial farmland have become a serious concern and pose a direct threat to livestock and people's livelihoods," he said.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9410 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some PAC permits need to be issued!

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted a farm that was in the second tier of farms south of Etosha. Many of the neighboring farms ran cattle and I was told they generally shoot lions on sight. One neighbor estimated he had shot several dozen in his lifetime. He also had an enclosure with 2 cheetahs in it. Seems that he had shot a cheetah several years back that was harassing his cattle and it turned out to have 2 cubs. He couldn't bring himself to shoot the cubs so he kept and raised them. I got a kick out of watching the cheetahs eyeing up the farmers little dog every time it wandered past. Kinda like, "If we ever get out of here you're lunch!" clap

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt every year in Namibia and, over the years, the game farm of some 70,000 acres has fenced itself with a state of the art game fence. Warthogs regularly dig their way under the fence. I've seen a mile long stretch with half a dozen holes. It's a maintenance nightmare and the farm owner has a regular patrol to add big rocks and iron bars to block these holes. Same thing at Etosha where the lion and other predators simply use the warthog tunnels to move into greener pastures. Elephants are something else as they can do in any game fence unless it's seriously electrified. Sorry, lads, just give Etosha the maintenance budget it needs.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some folks I hunted with three years ago that have a place 45 miles NE of Winchoeck had elephants come across their farm last year, absolutely destroying their fences. They had never even seen an elephant before and are nowhere close to Etosha.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote