THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Amazing What You See On A Deer Stand -Off Topi

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Amazing What You See On A Deer Stand -Off Topi
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In Michigan, any non-native animals are fair game, so that would have been one dead buffalo. There was an escaped Eland that was shot a couple years ago in the U.P.

Reminds me though of a deer hunt we took to S.D. a couple years ago that coincided with Michigan's rifle opener. We all tagged out with whitetails in the 130-150" range. My buddy shows up at his house proud of his 150" non-typ, only to find all his neighbors had scored deer in the 180's! I guess a gate was left open on the deer farm down the road a few days before LOL! He could have saved a few grand and shot a bigger deer out of his own 10 acres

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a good one, Jim, but I can beat it.

A few years ago I set up my Tree Lounge (climbing stand) overlooking a crossing on the Appalachee River in Morgan County, Georgia. It was the warmest afternoon in a whole string of warm and lazy October days.

As I watched the rushing water, I heard voices, FEMALE voices coming from the other side of the river (which is land I did not have permission to hunt). Soon, two figures approached the shoal I was hunting over -- and what figures they were! Girls! Actually, coeds from the University of Georgia, which owned the land on that side of the river. There was a blond and a redhead. They were laughing, giggling and talking in half whispers. It was obvious that they did not see me 30 feet up in the poplar tree directly across the stream (I had ditched my blaze organge when I reached my hunting height -- not exactly legal, but commonly practiced in Georgia).

As I watched in amazment, the girls began to strip! I mean right down to the point that I could tell the redhead was a "natural", if you get my drift.

Fortunately, I had my 10x40 binoculars (so I didn't have to look at them through my scope). As I watched, the girls, who were outstanding examples of femalis coedicus in every sense, began to romp in the water. Just when I was thinking to myself "it just don't get better than this," it did get better!

The blond suddenly drew the redhead close to her and planted a sloppy wet one right on the lips. "This is going to get interesting," I thought gleefully.

Suddenly, there was a noise! It was the loud whistle-like blow of a buck deer standing in the river crossing about 30 yards from my stand! I sat up and yelled at it "get out of here, you bastard!"

Then I leaned back in the Tree Lounge and closed my eyes. "Now where were we," I thought, as the images of the passionate kiss began to re-materialize. Soon we were right where we had left off -- only this time I was in the water with them - naked!

Yes it's amazing what you can see from a deer stand on a warm, lazy afternoon -- that is, if you try hard enough!

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gahunter,

You had me there for awhile...

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you know I am addicted to Bison. That animal would have been history if I had been in that stand and anyone helping me load the meat would have had a freezer full. I would have even paid a bit to the farmer if he had deemed it necessary. When do you figure the last free roaming Bison was shot in Georgia?

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Some of you know I am addicted to Bison. That animal would have been history if I had been in that stand and anyone helping me load the meat would have had a freezer full. I would have even paid a bit to the farmer if he had deemed it necessary. When do you figure the last free roaming Bison was shot in Georgia?

Best,

JohnTheGreek

John,

I never thought of it that way .

If you were in country I imagine that I could arrange for you to take that last free ranging one . I think that the owner has just about given up on recapturing it.

Hey, maybe I can become a bison hunting PH in south Georgia . I will have to break out my 50/140 3.25" Sharps, and start practicing in case of a charge (I hear that bison can get a bit testy at times ).

Anyone know where I can get a good tracker and gunbearer just to keep things semi-related to the African Hunting forum (I could even furnish a nice vintage double if the client preferred)?

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mbogo,

Don't tempt me! I will be in the US in January and I am crazy enough to drive down there, split the meat with you and pay the farmer whatever is fair. What are your daily rates? LOL!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER -- you had me going! I've halucinated on many occassions while sitting in tree stands....just not as vividly as you!

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, its a good thing you didn't shoot. Where on earth would you have put the mount. Of course having the robe would certainly have been worth the effort. I do imagine it would have taken two strong trucks and a dozen friends to move that thing once it was down.
Frank

I had buffalo burgers bar-b-qued while traveling in Montana
and I don't know that I could resist dropping a free buff on a hunting day. When is the season for Buffalo in Georgia?

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I do imagine it would have taken two strong trucks and a dozen friends to move that thing once it was down.

Actually two average guys, a good ax, a pair of sharp knives and a pair of four wheelers would do the job. Just skin the bull on the ground a side at a time, quarter the carcass, ax out the ribs, and start hauling! The worst part is going to be managing a wet hide and head but if one skins in two pieces (front half for a shoulder mount and back half for a robe) it gets a lot easier to haul. The worst thing sbout the meat isn't the weight really but the awkward size and shape of the quarters.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post

You will not believe me, but I find Gahunter tale more interesting than, please excuse me, Mbogo375 one.

As is said in Italy "a pussy hair make a man pull more than a couple of oxen" (antique agricultural proverb, it come from the draft horses era, in Italy there were draft oxen, or in particular events, draft bulls).
Excuse me again, in a gay world I'm sure that I would be lesbian (R.Gere told this some year ago, but always some year after me )

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You will not believe me, but I find Gahunter tale more interesting than, please excuse me, Mbogo375 one.

Stefano,
So do I

Jim