New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre permitting for SouthAfrica
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody used or are going to use the pre permit service by riflepermits .com?I need to layover at Afton house and am wondering if its worth doing.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I have sent my application off for them to get my permit in advance. I have received very prompt emails from them. Seems to me to be a reasonable cost to have your permit waiting for you at arrival.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I did it with Air2000 a few weeks ago. Was in and out in about 2 minutes.

That being said next time I might look at checking my luggage all the way through and over nighting at the transit hotel in the airport (which is behind customs). I got into JNB at about 9:00 PM and my flight to VFA was at 9:30 AM the next day. Might be cheaper and less hassle.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve and Terry, Looks like its worth doing as my last adventure even though it went smoothly took about an hour. I believe Edo is related to Afton House in some way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
gunny,

I have used and will use this year Air 2000 and we recommend them to our clients. To me $150-$175 to be wisked through the BS is well worth it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
We also use Air 2000 for our clients and I'd almost be prepared to pay that amount for their getting me through passport control as quickly as they do - let alone doing the pre issue of the firearms permits as well......

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the difference in price? Riflepermits.com charges $85 and PHASA charges $90. Is there something additional that Air2000 does (other than getting you firearms permit in advance) that justifies the extra cost?

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Air 2000 do a meet and greet at aircraft side or as you disembark the bus (if a bus is used), and then they take you through the fast lane/VIP section of passport control. To the best of my knowledge,the others just do the firearms permit in advance and leave you to get through irritation - oops, sorry, immigration on your own.

The assisted passport control bit usually means you're through that, and had your rifles checked and are on your way out before most of the hoi polloi jumping have even got to passport control....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its also my understanding that you have to get through immigration and customs on your own. Afton house used to do this as part of their service but now they dont. I assume they still pick you up at the airport and drop you off at departure. It is nice to avoid the long lines at immigration and customs but at what price? For a first timer its good to see a sign with your name on it at the jetway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen this issue come up over and over again and never cease to be amazed at the number of people who complain about a $200 fee for a service, not a bribe, to make a trip of a lifetime go a little smoother. Typically, those same people are the ones to complain about going through the process without a service.

You can call it money you could use on a trophy fee or whatever else you want to, but the bottom line is each person has to decide for him/herself what it means to them to have everything flow or save money and waste time standing in line. I don't have a problem with those who choose to stand in line - as long as they don't complain when they knew they had a choice.

Me? I consider my time and my experience much more valuable and will use Air 2000 any time I travel to South Africa or arrange trips for others go. Not an option to me - just part of the trip.

By the way, I really don't want to start any sort of ya-ya, just wanted to state my opinion. People can agree or disagree - to each his own and no worries!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Air 2000. I haven't used the other service providers so I cannot comment on them but Air 2000 delivers a fantastic service.

I tried personally assisting a client earlier this year by applying for a permit on his behalf for free - BIG mistake! The SAPS issued the permit in MY name instead of the client's and I ended up spending $100 on fuel - driving around to have the problem fixed before the client arrived.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote