THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Namibia:Napha distances itself from rhino cow hunter

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia:Napha distances itself from rhino cow hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201410230452.html

Namibia: Napha Distances Itself From Rhino Cow Hunter

THE Namibia Professional Hunting Association this week distanced itself from a professional hunter who was involved in a hunt during which a rhino cow was shot in the Mangetti National Park a year ago.

Professional hunter Peter Thormählen is no longer a member of the Namibia Professional Hunting Association (Napha), after he resigned from the organisation in 2011 in the wake of a disciplinary investigation, the chief executive officer of Napha, Dietlinde Mueller, said in a statement on Monday.

Since his resignation from Napha, the organisation's disciplinary committee has received numerous complaints against Thormählen, but the disciplinary committee cannot take any action against him, Mueller indicated.

She added that Napha "deplores the fact that time and again the image of trophy hunting is marred by reckless, irresponsible or immoral actions of a small minority of professional hunters".

Napha was reacting to a High Court case in which Thormälen's company, Thormälen & Cochran Safaris Namibia, sued the minister of environment and tourism as a result of the shooting of the rhino cow by an American client of the company. The case was settled out of court last week.

Thormälen & Cochran Safaris Namibia was asking the court to order the minister to take all necessary steps to give effect to a contract in terms of which a client of the company was given permission to hunt a black trophy rhino. In the alternative, the company wanted the minister to pay it N$3,2 million so that it could refund its American client, sandwich take-away chain owner Jimmy John Liautaud, and cover the expenses of the hunt Thormälen had arranged for Liautaud.

Thormälen & Cochran Safaris Namibia bought the right to hunt one black rhino bull from the Ministry of Environment and Tourism for close to N$1,3 million in July last year.

However, the hunt that was subsequently arranged went horribly wrong when Liautaud, who had paid N$3 million to hunt the endangered animal, instead shot a black rhino cow in Mangetti National Park on 28 September last year. The cow was the only female black rhino in the park.

In documents filed with the High Court it was claimed that Liautaud shot the cow in a situation of sudden emergency when the animal charged at the hunting group, which was following the tracks of what was thought to be a rhino bull. The hunting group included two game wardens from the ministry, Thormälen, and a big game professional hunter. It was also claimed that the group had been informed that the rhino cow in the park kept to an area far to the east of the area where they were following tracks.

In a plea in response to the company's claim, the minister's lawyer stated that the terms of the contract between the ministry and the company were "substantially fulfilled" since the hunter who had paid to shoot a rhino bull in fact shot a rhino cow. The trophy of the shot animal is available for export as previously requested by the company, it was also stated on behalf of the minister.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Is this the DSC Auctioned Black Rhhino hunt from last year? I never did follow up to see how that hunt went. Doesn't sound like it went as planned.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macs B:
Is this the DSC Auctioned Black Rhhino hunt from last year? I never did follow up to see how that hunt went. Doesn't sound like it went as planned.

I thought the DSC hunt was a bull rhino??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Macs B:

I thought the DSC hunt was a bull rhino??

Saeed

Note the 3rd para from the end where it says: "However, the hunt that was subsequently arranged went horribly wrong when Liautaud, who had paid N$3 million to hunt the endangered animal, instead shot a black rhino cow in Mangetti National Park on 28 September last year. The cow was the only female black rhino in the park"

Someone shot the wrong animal when (it's claimed) the animal charged unexpectedly.

What you might call a classic 'whoops moment' Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thormalen seems to find himself in a lot of "situations." Roll Eyes

Posts: 555 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
In the alternative, the company wanted the minister to pay it N$3,2 million so that it could refund its American client, sandwich take-away chain owner Jimmy John Liautaud,

Not the DSC buyer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:

You are correct.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cory Knowlton was the buyer at DSC.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Cory Knowlton was the buyer at DSC.

Did he ever do the hunt?

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did he ever do the hunt?

Do not know.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:

You are correct.

Then why was he charged with conducting a unique hunt like this??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I have spoken to people that was on that hunt, and they claimed that rhino never charged.
(hearsay, but I know the guy well enough to know that he will make a statement if needed.)

Please note, even though the article gives Thormalen "credit" as a Professional hunter, according to my info, he is NOT a qualified Namibian PH of any sort.

Saeed, as to your question why he was given this hunt to conduct:
He part-owns a Namibian safari company (with some politically connected people, and a wealthy Russian I am told), and employs registered Namibian PH's to do the hunts for the company.
His company (like all registered qualifying companies) could tender on this hunt, and obviously they had the winning bid...

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Love rumors.
One said it charged
One said it didn't charge
Oops ...
In the end, it is mishap, but I believe good in people, so I'm positive it was simply something that nobody did on purpose
Shit happens

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
AR has seen several debates on the subject of should one have a safari contract or not with some saying 'my word is my bond' etc and others (including myself) saying a contract should be considered absolutely essential for when things go wrong...... and this is a classic example of how important it is to have such a contract.