Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Maybe if i can swing it
 Login/Join

posted
New here and lurked for a while but how the hell do I figure out how to go to Africa.? I have read Peter Capsticks book like everybody else and I have wanted to go since I read them and now we can afford to do it. Africa and how do you plan it? I posted a thread about new guys in the other other forum but nobody answered it so I guess I am welcome here. I have the money I think to go on a safari but I dont know where to begin. My partner Tom and me we have hunted here in the west and in Canada and up in the Dakotas and now we would like to go to Africa. Wanted to hunt elk in New Mexico but African is a bargain compared to that. How do you guys manage all your African trips. Any suggestions for us?

Posts: 12 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
Pink Panther,

What is on your "wish list" to hunt?

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You haven't said if you are planning a plains game hunt or a dangerous game hunt. One is usually considerably more expensive than the other.

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

Posts: 105 | Location: Looking for the Southern Cross | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pink Panther: How do you guys manage all your African trips. Any suggestions for us?

Guess I am having a bit of difficulty understanding what you are asking - still on my first cup of Joe.

Are you asking: a) How do we schedule, plan and execute, or b) Afford it financially, or C) a combination of both.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First you need to set your goals. I started with the usual entry level plains game package in South Africa. Very cost effective, and you get your feet wet. I graduated to a buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe. I've since been back for three more DG hunts in Mozambique and Zim.

A jouney of a thousand miles begins with a single step. My introduction was with JP Kleinhans in South Africa, but there are many good outfitters. Go to some of their websites, and read hunting reports on AR.
Oh, and read Ruark's "Horn of the Hunter."

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
I'm certain this is a topic on which there are significant differences of opinion, but I'll share mine and my experience.

Generally speaking there's two ways to go about it. First, you can do your own research and choose an outfit to hunt with. There's lots of good ways to do that. Buy a book like "African Hunter II" and research countries, areas and game that you think you would like to hunt. Buy a book like "Safari Guide II" from a place like Safari Press and you can get more specific information about the countries you're interested in. Check out the hunt reports on this site, and take a look at others at places like "The Hunting Report." Ask around on the forums about various outfitters that you read about. Ask any outfit you're considering for references and call them. Go to one of the shows like SCI in Vegas this February or the Dallas Safari Club show in Dallas in January (or there's a new one devoted exclusively to African hunting that they did in Atlanta last year, and maybe some other city - I think that one was sponsored by African Hunting Gazette, so there's probably info about it on their site).

Lots of people use this first "do it yourself" approach and there are lots of good reasons to do it this way. You learn a lot, and at least the first few times you do it, it can actually be fun. After awhile though, all that running down references, asking around, etc. becomes tedious. At least, it did for me.

Moreover, this method is not foolproof. Occasionally you hunt with someone that you meticulously researched but it still isn't what you expected. I've never really been burned like some people have, but I have gone into a couple of hunts with expectations based on my research that were not satisfied.

So the second way to do it is to find a good hunt broker that, over time, you develop a relationship of trust with. There are many good ones - The Hunting Consortium, Jack Atcheson & Sons, and many others. I have been using Dan Goodenow at Jim Shockey's Hunting Adventures for awhile now and he's never steered me wrong.

Using a broker also has pros and cons. They have relationships with only a limited number of outfits and of course they're going to steer you to those. However, to them you're a repeat customer. Many outfits treat you like you're a one-timer (though the smarter ones treat you like they expect you to come back). A broker is very interested in making sure you have a great experience whereever he sends you because if the hunt isn't as he described it, you're not going to book your next hunt with him.

I still go to the shows and I still buy the books and I still read the hunt reports. So I guess to be fair I actually use a blend of both methods. But primarily I call Dan Goodenow or Keith Atcheson and tell them what I want to hunt or generally where I want to hunt (or sometimes I just ask him for a suggestion) and they give me information about the people they recommend.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Knowing what I know now I would do it this way. Find a solid safari company/outfitter and start corresponding with them. If I may I would suggest Somerby Safari. If possible go to the DSC show in January. I would suggest the intro package (impala, widebeest, zebra, warthog) and maybe add an extra animal. Once the safari is arranged book your flight. Double check your load for your rifles, triple check your load for your rifles, practice with your rifle especially off of shooting sticks. Practice packing for the trip. Make a list of what you will want to bring. Make sure you have form 4457 for your rifles. Lastly dream about how fun this trip is going to be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushwack:
Pink Panther,
What is on your "wish list" to hunt?

Gemsbok I would guess. animal

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents. First I would try to define the experience that you are looking for: are you looking for a hunt in the true bush, or are you happy with a far chase hunt on a ranch? Do you want to stay in a traditional tent or would you prefer a chalet? Do you prefer an arid desert climate or do you want more of a riverine or mopane woods environment? What animals do you want to see and what animals do you want to hunt? Do you want to hunt 2x1 sharing a PH or do you each want you own PH. The answers to all of these questions and others will help you narrow down the potential options and find the hunt best suited to your needs. If possible, I would then go to either the SCI or DSC show and talk to a lot of exhibitors. That should give you enough information to make your choice. Good luck.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the input. Im going to enjoy just researching and learning not sure yet what even to hunt, Probably a plains game safari of some type for the first triup.The SCI suggestion is good I should probably join and go to their show.

Posts: 12 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a Buffalo Plains game hunt.

Someone on this forum has a signature that says "you can borrow money, but you can't borow time".

You will find a way.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You do not have to join SCI or DSC to go to their shows....DSC may actually be better.
Another trustworthy or two Agents are Jim McCarthy and weshixon@weshixon.com
Just remember that picking your primary animals with limited knowledge like I did---Sable and Gemsbok---doesn't work without research to determine where they are!
I would recommend holding DG to your second trip. Get a feel for Africa first!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have an AR group coming to Luangwa in October if you are interested and maybe a good introduction to wild Africa for you at an affordable price?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote