Notify
Tools

DDRHook RIP
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Folks

Just to let you know that my good friend & hunting buddy Don Hooker aka DDRHook was found dead in his Kenya apartment a few days ago. (wednesday)

Hooker as he was known to his friends was a man of note. Often not easy or predictable & often you never knew what he was going to do next but he was always hugely entertaining, witty & beneath all that, he was tough as hell.

I'll NEVER forget guiding him on safari in Uganda when he proved he could achieve more on one leg than most able bodied men could possibly achieve on two........ & he'd do it with a laugh.

Do any of our members here know of anyone based in Kenya we could call upon to help deal with the local bureaucracy please.......... It'd be a massive help to his family if we can find someone.

In closing, please do me & Hooker the favour of joining me in a toast to Absent Friends at 2100 hours tonight wherever you may be in the world

Here's to you Hooker!

https://imgur.com/i8NgPCV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP DDRHOOK!

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear this. Best to all who called him friend or family.

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
RIP my friend, may you hunt in the fairest hunting fields to be found.

You were a great friend with a passion for life, the times we got together in JHB for a couple of beers and a lekker chat will be remembered, even that ugly hat was so part of you. The late evening calls was always appreciated. I shared my memories of you with a the last few tots of Laphroaig last night.

I will again lift my glass to you at 21h00 and most probably shed a tear as well.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear this.

Condolences to his family and friends.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67469 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My condolences to his family and friends.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hooker was always entertaining on this forum and will be missed. My condolences to his family!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
RIP Hook. Always fun and entertaining whether posting or the subject of posts. Never boring-one of the two deadly sins.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
THIS might be of interest to some........ and although not mentioned, we also rediscovered Karamoja Bell's old campsite on that same trip......... With the kind & very patient (telephonic) help of the now late & always great Ken Stewart

one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP. Life is so precious. Condolences to his family and friends.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Condolences to his family and friends.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
THIS might be of interest to some........ and although not mentioned, we also rediscovered Karamoja Bell's old campsite on that same trip......... With the kind & very patient (telephonic) help of the now late & always great Ken Stewart

Thanks for that Steve and may you good friend rest in peace.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a shame!

Condolences to all his friends and family.

Posts: 10795 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Guys

I didn't like to say anything before it was confirmed but I heard yesterday that he was murdered.Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear that, especially if he was murdered.

Loved the story linked above.

Home is the hunter.

RIP

DRSS

Posts: 1930 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I met Steve and Don in Patrick Devy’s camp near Kidepo (Park in northern Uganda in Karamoja) on the hunt mentioned above. I was there hunting just before them with Nigel Theisen. Don and I corresponded often thereafter and always had a drink together at DSC for years. I am at DSC now and was thinking of Don the other day wondering what had become of him as I had not seen or heard from him in a while.

RIP Hooker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad. He emailed me once and said he spent time in Ohrigstad as I recall, but we never met. RIP... Condolences to family and his many friends.

Didn't someone recently enquire here. As I recall he was recently married?

Here:

Hooker

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:
Sad. He emailed me once and said he spent time in Ohrigstad as I recall, but we never met. RIP... Condolences to family and his many friends.

Didn't someone recently enquire here. As I recall he was recently married?

Here:

Hooker

I'm not sure if he was actually married or just 'involved' or even if the relationship was ongoing but as I understand it the lady is one of the people the police need to interview.

Many of the details are a bit vague at this point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I put up a post a while ago asking if anyone knew his whereabouts. We thought he was back in the states. What a shame...good man.

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So sad to hear this.
I met Hook at JNB a couple of years back, he spotted my wife and me and recognized us from Hunt report photos. That was a surprising feat in and of itself. A fun man to visit with, for sure.
Did he not deal in gemstones and jewelry? Might robbery have been a motive?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
So sad to hear this.
I met Hook at JNB a couple of years back, he spotted my wife and me and recognized us from Hunt report photos. That was a surprising feat in and of itself. A fun man to visit with, for sure.
Did he not deal in gemstones and jewelry? Might robbery have been a motive?

I hesitate to second guess any investigation but I'm sure that's one possibility they're considering.

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Yes, I put up a post a while ago asking if anyone knew his whereabouts. We thought he was back in the states. What a shame...good man.

He was back in the States and did a course in hypnoses. He send me an email on 16 May 2017

Hey friend me on fb as Ray Hook I'm in Kenya. Keep it quiet please I'll explain later send me your cell number
.thank
Hook

He never explained

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this, had some good laughs and did Don have a sense of humour, dishing out as much as he got.

Cheers mate, hope that it is easier for you on the other side.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
So sorry to hear this, had some good laughs and did Don have a sense of humour, dishing out as much as he got.

He was probably the wittiest man I ever met......... often outrageous & often in less than the best of taste but always funny as hell........ but as funny as he was, the expression on people's faces after he did or said something close to the knuckle was often even funnier. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember meeting him at DSC a few yrs ago wearing that big azz hat.
How can you not like someone that makes you laugh so much?
I hope they catch the person who killed him & hang them from a tall tree with a short rope!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Brother Hooker.

You were a good man.
You were a good character.
You were a good storyteller.
You were a good friend.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:

He was probably the wittiest man I ever met......... often outrageous & often in less than the best of taste but always funny as hell........ but as funny as he was, the expression on people's faces after he did or said something close to the knuckle was often even funnier. rotflmo

And as dry as a desert, not a hint of a smile.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I flew to Joberg with Don in 2014. Knew him well and he attended many if not all AR functions at DSC. A friend...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Penetrater
posted Hide Post
I really do hate to hear this, I missed seeing him these last few years at DSC but the last time 2 years ago if memory serves , we could never agree on who had the best moonshine , a discussion I look forward to continuing next time we meet ,till then RIP

Posts: 131 | Location: oklahoma city ,oklahoma ,usa | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your friend, I left my glass of sherry.

May those who knew him and loved him never be without a feeling of loss at his absence. Only to be replaced by comfort and joy at the memory.

Posts: 11387 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that it's just wishful thinking, but is there any news of anyone being charged with this crime?
Only met him once, but I sure did like him.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP

2100 Hours it is!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I communicated with him a number of times after he moved to Africa. He dabbled in precious stone like Tanzanite, but last I knew he was starting up a rabbit farm. He sent me pix of his little Kenyan hottie. He seemed quite happy.

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
I'm sure that it's just wishful thinking, but is there any news of anyone being charged with this crime?
Only met him once, but I sure did like him.

I haven't heard from his daughter for a while & I'm 110% sure I'd have heard if someone had been charged so I guess the answer is no................ which is a bloody shame. Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not know Don Hooker's nationality but expect he's either U.S. or British in which case the first step dealing with the bureaucracy is to engage the American or British Consulate. The consuls are located at the respective Embassy buildings in Nairobi. The Americans are now at Gigiri. Can't recall where the British Chancery is.

Profound sympathy for his family an friends.

Sincerely,
Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear we’ve lost another AR member.

I didn’t know him, but he obviously made an impression on many here.

Sorry for the loss.

RIP.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Do not know Don Hooker's nationality but expect he's either U.S. or British in which case the first step dealing with the bureaucracy is to engage the American or British Consulate. The consuls are located at the respective Embassy buildings in Nairobi. The Americans are now at Gigiri. Can't recall where the British Chancery is.

Profound sympathy for his family an friends.

Sincerely,
Tim

He was USA & as I understand it his daughter handled it but I heard very little from her.

The upside is that he's still where his heart was.................. Afrika.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the good fortune to meet him in the Atlanta airport a few years ago in transit to Africa. He came across as a funny, friendly, and really nice man. May he RIP.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prayers and condolences to his friends and family.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1102 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
RIP my condolences .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote