THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Rick Hopcraft member of APHA, and his tracker Tinea killed by Buffalo

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rick Hopcraft member of APHA, and his tracker Tinea killed by Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
RICK HOPCRAFT & PARMOIS OLE KERITO (TINEA)

Dear Friends,
I am afraid that with great sadness, I have some very bad news to report to you.
Our dear friend Rick and his tracker Tinea were both tragically killed by a Buffalo this
last Tuesday evening, the 23rd November, at Rick’s farm at Naivasha in Kenya.
The details are not clear, but what roughly happened is as follows:
Rick and Garry, his son, had seen an injured Buffalo with a badly swollen leg on the
farm and called the Kenya Wildlife Services. Rick had asked for permission to shoot the
Buffalo, and this permission was declined because of the hunting ban in Kenya. They
then asked the Wildlife department to come and shoot it. They turned up too late on
Monday evening and returned again on Tuesday afternoon. What happened next is not
clear, but Rick accompanied the game scouts to show them where the Buffalo was, and
was not carrying a rifle, presumably because he was not allowed to shoot the Buffalo.
Tinea however did have a rifle, as he has a permit as a guard on the farm to carry such
a weapon. The Buffalo charged, the government game scout shot and missed, and the
Buffalo hit Tinea before he could shoot and knocked the gun out of his hand. The
Buffalo then was instantly on Rick, and killed him on the spot having punctured his
chest. Tinea managed to grab hold of the rifle and fired a shot at the Buffalo going
away, but missed. Tinea died 15 minutes later from internal bleeding.
Tony Seth-Smith, who is now in his mid 70's, was called in as he is an honorary Kenyan
game warden. The Buffalo was found on Wednesday morning after a two hour search
and Tony shot it without any further problem. Under the circumstances, a superb effort
by Tony. I must be clear that some reports relayed to me said that Rick was hit by the
Buffalo first, and others say that Tinea was hit first. Either way, both were tragically
killed.
Bette, Ricks wife , is surrounded by friends and family, and I have talked to her several
times and also to Garry. She is still in shock, and has not really come to terms with
what has happened, and as she said to me, it is like a bad dream. Rick and Bette's
daughter, Cara had to be flown out from Switzerland and arrived back in Nairobi on
Thursday , and is now back on the farm with her family.
Rick's funeral , a private family service will take place on Thursday. Tinea’s family will
be having a traditional Masai tribal burial for him at Tinea’s 'shamba' on Tuesday. A
celebration of Rick and Tinea's life , and send off , will take place at the Hocraft farm ,
Loldia, Naivasha, on Friday, 3rd December at 11.30 am.
Rick will of course be sadly missed by all of us and as you know, everyone in our
organisation had the greatest respect for him, not only as a man of integrity and a
gentleman, but also as an extremely fine and ethical hunter. Rick has been a lifelong
friend to me, having gone to the same school and growing up in the same region of
Naivasha, and hunting together on more safaris than I can remember. Doubly upsetting
was the fact that Tinea was my first gun bearer, and he and I grew up on our ranch in
Naivasha, and did all our early hunting together. He was the bravest of trackers, and
will be much missed. So, Tinea knew my family for something like 20 years and for the
last 40 years, worked for Rick. Tinea was 65 years old, and Rick was 63. None of us
can believe what has happened.
Robin Hurt

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad news indeed. My prayers go out to the family and friends.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
My condolences to both families... a sad commentary indeed on what Kenya has become when an accomplished hunter, unarmed, has to go out with an inexperienced game scout to rid the countryside of an injured buff and two innocent lives are lost because of the misguided policies of the Kenyan government.

May both gentlemen rest in peace.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My condolences to the family and what a needless tradgedy. Just another example of the Kenya no hunting scenerio.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Kenya has it all wrong, and now it's cost two fine people their lives.

Condolences to all and R.I.P.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Tragic. My heart and prayers go out to the family. Because of their policy aginst hunting, Kenya is complicent in these two deaths.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
but Rick accompanied the game scouts to show them where the Buffalo was, and
was not carrying a rifle, presumably because he was not allowed to shoot the Buffalo.
Tinea however did have a rifle, as he has a permit as a guard on the farm to carry such
a weapon

Ah, the do-gooders strike again.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
...called the Kenya Wildlife Services. Rick had asked for permission to shoot the
Buffalo, and this permission was declined because of the hunting ban in Kenya. They
then asked the Wildlife department to come and shoot it. They turned up too late on
Monday evening and returned again on Tuesday afternoon. ...

What a crying shame...and typical of the KWS from what I have experienced. It's high time for Africa to selectively import the SSS strategy so popular in Idaho and Wyoming these days.

If the circumstances warrant....shoot, shovel, and shut up. More than likely these two would still be alive under those circumstances rather than relying on KWS to get off their duffs and deal with it.

JMHO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tragic and unnecessary loss!

Thoughts and prayers to the families of the fallen.

W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are diminished...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deep sympathy to both families in their time of loss.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
my condolences ......but he must never let his rifle away.....sorry but this my firm feeling.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
I am sorry about the death of this PH and his tracker, my condolences for his relatives and friends.

A hug,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
A real shame and tragedy.