THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Preparing for safari.. making the shot...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preparing for safari.. making the shot...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
I have to mention this, before I forget to...My first ele I thought I understood how and where to place the bullet on a head shot...I was given the opportunity to shoot an ele at 30 feet approx. and wham!!! he started down but he recovered and turned and another bullet, but that too missed vitals and off went my elephant...Did I hit him Damn right I did but I slid the bullet too low...It was hit hard the ele fell three times running away but lost him and blood at darkness...
You ask what went wrong??? Angles, did not know fully the proper angles or should I say I acted like I thought I knew...
Then I read our own AR members book "Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" Now after reading the book, I said this guy is an elephant hunter...Well I read again and again till I knowingly had a full understanding of brain location and all angles to slide a bullet into...I would look purposely for ele pics to see where to stick the bullet..This I did over and over till my time comes...
It did and many of you have read my story from the safari of my bull ele..I unconsciously raised the rifle looked for landmarks and fired sliding that bullet right to left on the frontal brain shot and the rest is history..

So 'Will', thank you for being an elephant hunter and passing your understanding on to us novices... beer

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Am I free to use this as my obituary? Smiler

Glad to hear the book was of help.

Thanks,

Bill

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Will and Mike,

I hunt elephants. I sometimes kill elephants. I often run from elephants. No... that's not good enough. I often run like hell, about to piss my pants, from elephants.

I plan to hunt/kill one again in March (and I hope my friend 1115 is with me to kill his first). There is no greater thrill.

Of course, I am a notorious know-it-all. Yet, I know enough to defer to you. Mike is right. Your book is priceless to a prospective elephant hunter (and enjoyable reading to boot). The book should be required reading for all first-time safaris where elephants may be on license or just a possible threat.

Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, is like having an elephant raising hell and coming at you with ears pinned back and little beady eyes focused on your sternum. Even a quad 23mm gun hosing green shit at you doesn't tighten your butt so damn much.

Will, I self-learned most of the wisdom in your book from sitting in an HHK camp rolling an elephant skull round and round, but dang if I didn't get a better understanding from your efforts. The pictures are invaluable and confidence building. Your book is always on my bedside table and I pick it up often and dream of my next trip to see ndovu.

I thank you.... even if you wear funny britches.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This buffalo hunter picked up a gem or two on brain shots from this book, too. Thanks again, Will.

"Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" by Bill Stewart

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Will and Mike,

I hunt elephants. I sometimes kill elephants. I often run from elephants. No... that's not good enough. I often run like hell, about to piss my pants, from elephants.

(...)

that was a very expressive phrase that said it all when jumbos are concerned ... thumb

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote