New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: "Gemsbuck" in Ethiopia?
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
"Oryx are in the order Artiodactyla, or even-toed ungulates (hoofed mammals). They belong to the family, Bovidae, which includes antelope, cattle, sheep and goats. There are three species in the genus Oryx: scimitar-horned oryx (Oryx dammah), Arabian oryx (Oryx leucoryx), and gemsbok (Oryx gazella). There are at least three subspecies of Oryx gazella: East African (O. g. beisa), South African (O. g. gazella) and the fringe-eared (O. g. callotis)."

"Kenya's Tana River divides the range of East Africa's two types of oryx: the beisa oryx (Oryx g. beisa) and the fringe-eared oryx (Oryx g. callotis). The fringe-eared oryx ranges from Kenya to central Tanzania. The beisa oryx ranges from Ethiopia through Somalia into northeastern Uganda and Kenya."

"Oryx" comes from the Greek word "orux," meaning "pick-axe" (horns). "Gemsbok" is the Afrikaans (South African Dutch) word for the animal meaning "chamois buck." "Beisa" is unknown, but is probably the native African word for the animal.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I was recently guiding someone that told me his father shot a "gemsbuck" in Ethiopia. I told him I thought it should have been a beisa oryx but he ADAMANTLY INSISTED it was a gemsbuck. His dad had probably hunted in Ethiopia about 20 or 30 years ago I'm guessing. He mentioned that they had been shipped the wrong set of horns. The one they received was "only" 40" but the one his dad had shot was 42". I still think he's mistaken and that it was a beisa oryx but do they get that big very often? (Maybe the measurement was a mistake too).

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely no gemsbok in Ethiopia. A 40 incher, let alone a 42 inch beisa oryx would be the new sci record i beleive. Someone has his facts all screwed up.

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckles' Beisa Oryx was taken in 1970 and is ranked number 1 in Rowland Ward, 43 inch horn. The number 3 oryx was also taken in Ethiopia and has a 41 inch horn, also taken in 1970.

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kathi,

Best we ever pulled out of there was 39 5/8" I personally don't think that Cow's horns should be entered but then that Rowland Ward and they accept them. Today, after the hunting was closed for a few years, the oryx are very sparse and no longer on license. This is partly due to poaching during that period and partly due to a huge cotton farm establicshed in the lake bed of Lake Stepanie which, I feel, has ruined the migration path back and forth to Kenya. The last oryx taken in the Omo was with a client who I accompanied in March of 2000. It was the only one seen and happened to be a 36" bull. The guy didnt' know how lucky he was. My last trip in (last March) I saw several bulls and a small herd of cows and calves. Hopefully they will recover enought to someday have licenses again.

Rich ELliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote