New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape or Livingston Eland?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shot this 32.5" Eland in early August of 2004. I was told he is a Livingston and also I have been told he is a Cape Eland. I am very happy with him, the hunt and the shot, 270 yards up hill on the side of a mountain in the Waterburgs. In reality I do not care which he is but I would like to know. Please give me your opinion, I guess majority rules so maby this should have been a pole.

It is not what you hunt with, it is how you hunt that matters!

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know enough about either one,, but very nice one taken,bet it will be a great mount.

Did you take it with one of your wildcats?

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Judson

This is a general overview which might help us guests to understand better ...

Regards, Peter
----------------------
The name eland is Dutch for elk. Two species occur: Taurotragus oryx and Taurotragus derbianus, the latter being the giant or Lord Derby eland.

There are three subspecies of T. oryx, namely the Cape eland (To. oryx), the Livingstone's eland (To. livingstonii), and the East African eland (To. pattersonianus) named after Patterson of Man Eaters Of Tsavo fame.

There are two subspecies of the Lord Derby eland, namely the western giant eland (Td. derbianus) and the Central African giant eland (Td. gigas). The giant eland has longer horns that are also wider splayed than those of his southern and eastern cousins.

The subspecies you will encounter in southern Africa are the Cape eland and the Livingstone's. The Cape eland is usually said to have no white stripes on its sides, and its distribution is given as the RSA, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe.

The Livingstone's is said to have several white stripes on its back and sides, and its distribution is given as Zimbabwe, parts of the Transvaal, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia, Angola, southern Zaire and Malawi. Rowland Ward's minimum requirements are the same for both: 35".

The Patterson's or East African eland is described as having more white stripes, slightly smaller horns (RW minimum 33") and occurs in Tanzania, Kenya, Sudan, Ethiopia, Uganda.

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judson,

That eland is a relative of the Cape eland I shot in Namibia some years ago. Looks almost exactly like it.

BTW I'm originally from Rockland, ME.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed Patterson, Livingston, and Cape eland. The PHs I hunted with all said that the Cape had no stripes but the Livingston and Patterson eland did. From the photo your eland looks like a Cape to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your info! That Eland met his demise by way of my .366DGW. It was in reality the longest shot I have made on bug game 270+ yards. I realise that for many of you guys that is close but for me it is long. He was on the ridge leading to the top of a mountain so it was a up hill shot at an angle that made the entrance and exit hole 8" difference in height when measured from the top of the shoulder. I have to give the Swift "A" Frame 300 grain bullet a lot of credit it went through and the Eland went maby 30 yards.

It is not what you hunt with, it is how you hunt that matters!

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote