Find
Notify
Tools

Status of Rhino Darting?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Just watched Under Wild Skies. It was an episode about darting a rhinocerous. It must have been an old one because I was under the impression that this practise was stopped in South Africa. What is the current status of darting - authorized or not?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Extract from a PHASA communication dated August 2nd, 2010:

The Veterinary Council proposed amendments to their legislation that will have an impact on the darting of rhinos by foreign clients. Herewith is a summary of the information:

1. According to the proposed amendments only veterinary professionals, or persons authorized by the Veterinary Council and under the supervision of a veterinary professional, will be permitted to administer Schedule 5 or 6 medicines with the purpose to tranquilize or anaesthetize an animal.

2. These amendments have not been published for implementation yet. However, the Veterinary Council will probably forward these proposals to the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) next week, for DAFF to obtain approval from the Minister to publish the amendments in the Gazette for implementation. The implementation will then be with immediate effect.

3. The rules will be published in terms of Section 30 of the Veterinary and Para-Veterinary Professions Act, Act 19 of 1982. (Act)

4. The Veterinary Council went through the consultation process, but did not extend this to the professional hunting industry.

5. According to the policy of the Veterinary Council, it would officially be unethical for veterinarians to be involved in darting safaris from 1 June 2010. As a result of the industry not being informed of the time frame of the implementation, there are Hunting Outfitters who have permits to conduct these safaris, and safaris have already been booked. There would thus be an interim period from 1 June 2010 until publication of the amendments, that Outfitters would have problems with existing contracts. The Veterinary Council was therefore requested if it would be possible for them to honor existing permits. The Registrar of the Council undertook to forward our request to the Executive Committee for approval.

6. In the mean time, it is recommended that provinces do not issue new permits for applications for darting safaris. Further, it is requested that all provinces must indicate to us how many permits they have issued of which the safaris still need to take place. The reason is so that we can indicate to the Council how many permit holders will be affected by the interim period (my proposal was that the Council regard this period until publication, as an official phase out period for permits).

7. DEA will have to amend the TOPS Regulations to make provision that only veterinary professionals or persons authorized by the Council, may dart animals. Therefore, written approval from the Council will be a prerequisite for a person other than a veterinary professional, to obtain a darting permit.

B. UPDATE:
The Department of Environmental Affairs informed us as follows on the Veterinary Council's decision taken at their meeting of 30 July:

"Decision taken by Council that the conduct of any veterinarians involved in green hunts i.r.o. permits issued after 30 June 2010 will be investigated.
Permits issued prior to 30 June 2010 not affected."

This means that darting safaris for existing TOPS permits may continue, but no new TOPS permits should be issued for foreign clients to do the darting, as veterinarians may not be involved in those safaris.

The above provision only affects the 5 outstanding permits issued by MTPA.
All other provinces indicated that they have no outstanding permits (permits that have already been issued, of which the safaris still need to take place).

We will amend the TOPS Regulations accordingly to give effect to the decision of the South African Veterinary Council.

PHASA
www.phasa.co.za

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
No more darting with tranquilizers by hunters as of now -- but you never know what the future will bring.

I've only darted Rhino's once, but that was a very difficult and exciting hunt and I'd love to do it again and again -- hope RSA comes to its senses one day soon.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are still darting in Namibia!! I have 4 hunts avaiable each season and have some great trophies.

SAFARISEAN

Posts: 180 | Location: KC MO> | Registered: 31 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
What is the current status in RSA and Namibia?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a hunter I've wanted to hunt,but not kill a rhino. As a physician I've wondered how the hunter can avoid what seems to be a real risk of causing a pneumothorax(punctured lung) or vascular penetration and lethal injection.Thoughts? Jim

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Somewhat unrelated - did anyone catch the episode of Jim Shockey darting a Rhino with a Bow?

dancing

You may/may not like Jim, but that was OUTSTANDING TV. My wife and I still laugh our butts off about that one!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I believe it is possible to "vita dart" a rhino in SA. This involves shooting a dart with vitamins instead of a transguilizer

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
I believe it is possible to "vita dart" a rhino in SA. This involves shooting a dart with vitamins instead of a transguilizer

Bloody hell!

What will they think of next?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67011 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Bloody hell!

What will they think of next?

Paint balls! ... and a target tattooed on the shoulder. Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronxfats:
As a hunter I've wanted to hunt,but not kill a rhino. As a physician I've wondered how the hunter can avoid what seems to be a real risk of causing a pneumothorax(punctured lung) or vascular penetration and lethal injection.Thoughts? Jim

dart guns are compressed air or CO2 powered. i can't imagine they would have the power to penetrate the chest hide and cause a pneumothorax plus the dart tip would not be long enough to reach through the pleura into the lung.as for vascular injection, anything is possible i suppose but the chance of hitting a major vein( much less an artery) anywhere on the skin would be remote( except perhaps on the ears).

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://www.huntingreport.com/h..._details.cfm?id=2873

From the article: ..."He also announced that the SCI Record Book Committee is now accepting vita-darted rhinos for the record book in the "Darted Rhino" category."...

Entries into a record book for darted game? WTF!

There are no words... 2020

"The envious are not satisfied with equality; they secretly yearn for superiority and revenge."

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
vita darted??? oh well, anything to generate that $25 entry fee.and how do you compare size for record purposes with a vita darted animal?? space

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TwoZero:
quote:
http://www.huntingreport.com/h..._details.cfm?id=2873

From the article: ..."He also announced that the SCI Record Book Committee is now accepting vita-darted rhinos for the record book in the "Darted Rhino" category."...

Entries into a record book for darted game? WTF!

There are no words... 2020

SCI has no limits how low it can go for the glory seekers!

Isn't this whole "glory" thing with SCI that has brought down into the gutter?

Posts: 67011 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Most hunters knows that if anyone fires a bullet at a living animal, well, things can go wrong. Some hunter(s) may, despite their best efforts for getting a quick humane kill, only succeed in wounding an animal. If there is a PH involved in such a hunt it is generally accepted that the PH then may/should lend all required assistance to put the wounded animal down as quickly as possible. In keeping with these fact the generally accepted definition [for lack of a better word] of exactly who in a hunting party to regard as the successful trophy hunter includes some reference to "the guy whose bullet/arrow drew the first blood". So the hunter who first wounded the animal may still claim it as his trophy. He may even enter it into a record book as his trophy. I have no problem with this view at all.

But, for a moment consider the following quote taken verbatim from an article about rhino darting written by Herb Atkinson, Chairman, SCI Record Book & World Hunting Awards Committee in Hunt Forever:
quote:
The tranquilizing dart must still be fired by a licensed veterinarian, then a dart full of vitamins is immediately fired by the client.

Now, clearly, at least clearly IMHO, in this case the "first blood" is drawn by the veterinarian, who fires the tranquilizing drug filled dart? Only thereafter does the dart hunter immediately fire the vitamin filled dart. [Wonder how often the rhino runs away at the shot of the first tranquilizing dart and is only found fully tranquilized some time "immediately afterwards"? Big Grin ]

Yet SCI recognizes the "trophy" as belonging to the "dart hunter" who fired the second dart! I have no words! Confused

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know what firearm did the gentleman
On Under Wild Skies used? Somewhere I read he used an
an H&R firearm.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by bronxfats:

dart guns are compressed air or CO2 powered. i can't imagine they would have the power to penetrate the chest hide and cause a pneumothorax plus the dart tip would not be long enough to reach through the pleura into the lung.as for vascular injection, anything is possible i suppose but the chance of hitting a major vein( much less an artery) anywhere on the skin would be remote( except perhaps on the ears).

They are fired by a .22cL blank similar to a nail gun arrangement.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info re darting.Here,in Montana,during sheep and goat darting for transplant, a percent die.The hide on a mountain goat's rump is very thick,but if rhino 's hide is similar to ele or hippo,a dart might not penetrate the body cavity.

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When darting the Rino you aim where you would not with a killing shot, you want to hit the meaty hind quarter and straight on for best results.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
They can be darted on the point of the shoulder etc but the haunch is much more commonly used.

I wouldn't class rhino (or indeed elephant) darting as serious hunting but it is a lot of fun if only because you have to get so close to the animal so (IMO) (assuming done for good reason) it's a little unfair to dismiss it as nonsense.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Oh well, I suppose each of us has his choice.

This is not my cup of tea at all.

If I am not hunting an animal, I will take photos.

Didn't someone do paint ball shooting before as well?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Saeed said to each his own. I personally don't understand the fascination with the bovine when there is so much other game to hunt in Africa and so many other experiences to be had. Personally I prefer the Pygmy Antelope and the Spiral Horned Antelope. Darting the Rino was fun once and isn't the object to have fun.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually darted two rhinos with a real tranquilizer (not vitamin), and enjoyed the experience immensely. We belly crawled in from over a 100yds in some very thick brush, and the shot was taken from about 8 yrds from a prone position. It was quite a rush, having it jump up and stomp back and forth trying to figure out what just happened. My PH just whispered, don't move! Smiler

Afterwards we took blood samples, DNA samples, placed micro-chips in the horns, and tons of Pics! Overall, would I shoot a rhino if I had the funds to do so...sure, but I certainly wouldn't have had such a close/personal encounter. Shooting a rhino with a rifle certainly isn't hard to do...dart gun, is definitely another story.

Also, darting rhinos, (even if it's record book motivated) generates income and a economic interest for ranchers to produce/conserve rhinos. Which is great for the conservation of the specie. So to each their own, I would recommend it to anyone, where it's legal and permitted.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an observation, nothing more. Having worked at a zoo for 25 years, I am well acquainted with the things that can go wrong, when darting ANY species in a captive situation. What numbers are available, for Rhino darting "hunts" that did not go as planned? What is the mortality rate, if any on these type "hunts"?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Years ago I wounded a wildebeest.

He went and stood among a bunch of white rhinos.

My PH said "careful of your shot, or this can be a vey expensive backstop".

I said "Don't worry, I won't shoot one of your pet rhinos"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i have to wonder. how many times was the same rhino darted back when it was OK? I FLAT DON'T BELIEVE THEY ONLY DARTED THE SAME ANIMAL ONCE!

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
And how many times has that rhino been entered in the books?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Just an observation, nothing more. Having worked at a zoo for 25 years, I am well acquainted with the things that can go wrong, when darting ANY species in a captive situation. What numbers are available, for Rhino darting "hunts" that did not go as planned? What is the mortality rate, if any on these type "hunts"?

I have darted one rhino. I know the owners had insurance if something went wrong.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, for a moment consider the following quote taken verbatim from an article about rhino darting written by Herb Atkinson, Chairman, SCI Record Book & World Hunting Awards Committee in Hunt Forever:
quote:
The tranquilizing dart must still be fired by a licensed veterinarian, then a dart full of vitamins is immediately fired by the client.

Soooo, if I took a picture of a rhino at the zoo, then threw a dart at it, would I be able to get my silver tin foil hat like the rest of the guys at SCI?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Tam Safaris confirmed by email that the client darts first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When was the last time any of the large American companies
Made guns for darting? I oosted what weapon did Tony used
in Under Wild Skies?Someone he used an H&R can anyone tekk
us?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just googled "deaths of animals from darting". Develop your own opinion. I won't do it. Many archers practice with blunt tipped arrows on game or cattle.......400 grains at 250-350 fps hitting any tissue will hurt,damage or kill.Make your choice.

If I shoot,I intend to kill.......hopefully,quickly. Jim

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
quote:
quote:

Soooo, if I took a picture of a rhino at the zoo, then threw a dart at it, would I be able to get my silver tin foil hat like the rest of the guys at SCI?

Just about sums it up.

Trophy hunting as we know it has died a long time ago.

SCI made sure of that as soon as they made it the holy grail of hunting.

What with their "inner Circles"!

I bet you so many of those SCI "trophies" entered by the glory seekers were gotten by a phone call.

"Hello Mr. Trophy Hunter. I got you that - put any animals you wish here - you were looking for to complete your trophy list. It was captured last week. Give us a few days, and we will transport it to another area for you to shoot."

Back to darting rhinos.

Apparently some of our friends here enjoy doing it.

Best of luck to them. Do it while you can, because I suspect it is not going to be available for that long.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Credit SCI with one more NO NO. In one string they do nothing and the next they have single handed ruined a sport. People use to say AR was a good source of information it appears it has now become a good source of misinformation and condemnation.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Credit SCI with one more NO NO. In one string they do nothing and the next they have single handed ruined a sport. People use to say AR was a good source of information it appears it has now become a good source of misinformation and condemnation.

I have every respect for the true trophy hunter.

Who spends time and effort to shoot a trophy they wish.

But, SCI has made the holy grail of and an end all to itself.

The actual hunt has been forgotten by those people, only "look at me" seems to matter.

A whole industry has cropped up to supply the fame seekers, we have seen examples being advertised right here.

This whole thing has made a mockery of real trophy hunters.