Tools

Namibia:Croc devours young girl
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201302060831.html

Namibia: Croc Devours Young Girl
By Helvy Shaanika, 6 February 2013

Oshakati — A six-year-old girl from Ruacana last week died a horrific, watery death after she was caught, dragged under the water and devoured by a man-eating crocodile.

The horror incident took place at Undoozu village in the Ruacana Constituency. It is reported that the girl, identified as Unotjali Mbuale, was with her aunt and three other children between the ages of four and five at the river where the incident took place.

The aunt was allegedly fishing while the children played a few metres away from her, when she heard the others screaming. When she turned around, she saw Mbuale being dragged under the water by the crocodile.

The woman called the police, since there was nothing she could do to save the child.

According to Omusati Police spokesperson Lineekela Shikongo, police assisted by members of the community searched for the girl for almost two days but have not found her body yet.

"Part of her skull was only recovered by the end of the second day by Angolan nationals on the other side of the river," according to Shikongo. Relatives managed to identify the girl's remains as there was some skin left on the small piece of skull that was recovered.

Shikongo warned members of the small riverine commununity to exercise caution whenever they go fishing, because crocodiles lurking in the river pose a constant danger.

"The family of this child have lived nearby the river all their lives, they are supposed to know the seasons and the time of the day when crocodiles are likely to be at the edge of the river, and people should not allow children to play around near the river," said Shikongo.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
how could Africans not know that the rivers are full of crocs and you stay back from the edge?? evolution in action?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Awful thing to happen. If every Afrcan village had its way, there would be no crocs, and for very good reason.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Good Lord.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
how could Africans not know that the rivers are full of crocs and you stay back from the edge?? evolution in action?

From what I have read of classic African hunting literature, the 'oh well, it was meant to be' sort of attitude seems rather pervasive among the natives of the African bush.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I always marvel at the kids playing in groups right on the edge of the Zambezi - on both the Zimbabwe and Zambia sides when I'm on the river. I often wonder if there are frequent episodes like this one.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As people get killed on the highway everyday in the western world, people get killed by crocs by the rivers in Africa.
We have to get out on the highway, the africans has to go down to the rivers everyday if they live in the bush to do what they always have been doing. No difference really.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
As people get killed on the highway everyday in the western world, people get killed by crocs by the rivers in Africa.
We have to get out on the highway, the africans has to go down to the rivers everyday if they live in the bush to do what they always have been doing. No difference really.

Good analogy.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote