THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Your choice of optic for a .416 Rem?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your choice of optic for a .416 Rem?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Ditto for what most have posted here... good recommendations. I like .416's! Perfect for buffalo, more than adequate on elephant and the range for most plainsgame in bush conditions. I have the following scopes mounted on mine.

Davenport .416 Rigby Leupold 1.75x6
Danveport .416 Rem. Kahles 1x4 30MM
Davenport .416 Hoff. Leupold 1.5x5

Did I mention I like Sterling's rifles too?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On mine I had a 1-4 swaro that was an illuminated dangerous game scope. Now, having hunted with it frequently, I would def move up in magnification and go with a z5-6 and get to at least 6 if not a 10 power...because you can shoot a good distance with this rifle, and the 4 power scope is a little small for further shots IMO.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
A customer came in today with a Win Mod 70 (new) in .416 Rem. It is wearing Talley bases and rings. He wants a suggestion for an appropriate optic for a Sept. 2012 African Safari. He will be going after 9 species. One of those will be Cape Buffalo. He said his PH recommended a low power scope for 50-200 yd/meter shots. He has a nice 3-9 x 40mm Leupold now, but the objective bell is hitting the front mount before proper eye relief. An off-set mount could get the eye relief perhaps. I'm thinking he needs a 2.5x scope with no objective bell. What are your
suggestions for a scope that will function well and look "proper" on this rifle (based on your knowledge and experience)?

PS: He will also carry a .338/06 for plains game.

TIA,

Bob

I have a Swarovski z6i on mine. Works great.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1.5-6x42 zeiss. Excellent scope.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of my 375's have talley bases & rings.
It's not a matter of what scope you nesessarily want, but what will work.
You either have to go with a longer scope like 3x9 or 1 without a bell on the front for it to work.
I had purchased a 2.5x8 leopold & a 1.25x4 trijicon & neither would fit.
Ended up using 1.5x6 leupold vx7 & trijicon 3x9.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote