Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Favorite Owain Lewis Story
 Login/Join

posted
It was suggested in another thread that we tell our favorite stories about Owain Lewis. For each of us that knew and loved him, there's probably that one moment spent in his company that stands heads and shoulders above all the others. I know exactly what that moment was for me.

Owain and Robbie spent a good deal of time at my house last January and February for the safari shows. They traveled all over the country to visit as many old friends as they could fit into their schedule, and would then return back to my house. I had the chance to introduce them to Ft. Worth, Cowtown, Joe Garcias and the White Elephant Saloon. What fun we had, and what memories we made.

But there was this thing they did at my house. It was so inconspicuous that I didn't even notice it for the first few days they were with me. Even after I figured it out, it was too precious to expose. I never asked about it, or questioned why they did it ... it was too enchanting to just be in the presence of it.

Any time they were in different rooms, or different locations in the house ... one or the other would give a little bird whistle ... which was answered by the other. It was nothing one would actually notice or pay much attention to, just a sweet little whistle and a faint whistle in answer form the other room. It was just their way of touching base, knowing the other wasn't far away. I'd never known of anything quit that special between two people. I had the rare opportunity to witness a true love shared between life's partners. I found it inspiring and contagious, and I'll hear their whistles from room to room for all time.

With Owain's 40 years plus as a PH, there are no doubt hundreds of stories out there I hope will be shared. I just had the rare moment to know the family man, the husband that loved his Robbie beyond all measure. And it didn't take long to realize you were in the presence of something very special, something to immulate and take note of. Owain inspired so many, but he and Robbie together were the best example of true life's partners I've ever had the pleasure to know.

All my love and respect to you Robbie. You had the best, you had it all.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I first met Owain Lewis at Mana Angwa camp in Chewore South in August 2010. Ken Williams and I (we are known as the "Dagga Boys" at Chifuti Safaris) were hunting there with Chifuti Safaris and PH Mike Payne. Owain Lewis was hunting with Mike Schneidereit, and the two of them joined us in camp about halfway through our hunt.
Ken and I always carry our "whiskey box" with us when we hunt together, and it usually serves as a conversation piece with other hunters and PHs. This hunt was no exception. After dinner the first evening, Owain and Mike were admiring our "box", and Ken and I offered both a drink.
Owain took a real liking to the 21 year old Glenfiddich in the box, and drinking it out of Edinburgh crystal whiskey glasses made it all the better. We offered Owain and and Mike our "Dagga Boy Toast", which salutes hunting in Africa and double rifles, and the conversation on these two topics started in earnest. Ken and I were both struck by Owain's charisma and air of a true "British Gentleman". He kept us spellbound with countless stories of hunting with his Jeffery .475 No. 2 Jeffery Nitro Express double rifle. By the end of the evening, we all had our double rifles out (Owain's Jeffery, Mike's Merkel .470 and Ken's and my Searcy .470s) and were passing them around commenting on their various qualities and hunts we had with them. There was something special about Owain, and Ken and I agreed we needed to hunt with him in the future. I recall talking to Mike Payne about Owain as a PH and as a person. Mike spoke almost reverently about him and told us a few more stories of Owain's exploits and how Owain was always the first PH in camp to volunteer to help out another PH track down and sort out a wounded animal. I also recall Mike talking about Owain's trackers being "Batonga" and not Shona or Matabele. He also pointed out the Batonga axes were of slightly different design than the typical Shona axes we saw around camp, and that the Batonga always carried a small axe with them for personal protection. I ended up buying 4 of these as souvenirs from Owain's trackers.
I last saw Owain at DSC this year. We talked about making a plan for a hippo hunt in 2014. I insisted that we hunt the hippos on land with double rifles. Owain was intrigued by this idea, but he was all for it. Sadly, this is a hunt I will never make. I have only the fondest memories of this great man and PH we called "Madala". May he rest in peace.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
on a safari several years ago , one of my tracvkers got malaria, the other had to be sent home for a funeral and my gamescout was called off by the parks office , i met owain in the bush , and as usual we stopped and exchanged greetings , he asked where my crew was , i smiled and told him it was just my client and me ...he had just a day to go and was basically finished his hunt they had their buff ..and we continued to chat ,.... then just before we left he quietly told his trackers to get on my truck and that evening sent someone with all their gear to our camp ...what a difference that made , but it was the way he did it , quietly and without ceremony ..what a guy ...he was one of those guys who just made you want to be a better person ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Good story, Ivan. Certainly a man to emulate.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan-Your point is well taken.Lots of guys will do a favor or a good deed but want to make a show of it.They want to make sure everyone knows about it. As if they want to be sure and get credit for their good works.A guy who does so quietly, sometimes even anonomously, is the guy I respect the most.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tamela, that's just about the sweetest thing I have ever heard. I shared it with my wife.
Ivan, it seems clear that the term "class act" falls far short in this circumstance.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16646 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Tamela, Thank you for such a wonderful story.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAMELA MOSS:
It was suggested in another thread that we tell our favorite stories about Owain Lewis. For each of us that knew and loved him, there's probably that one moment spent in his company that stands heads and shoulders above all the others. I know exactly what that moment was for me.

Owain and Robbie spent a good deal of time at my house last January and February for the safari shows. They traveled all over the country to visit as many old friends as they could fit into their schedule, and would then return back to my house. I had the chance to introduce them to Ft. Worth, Cowtown, Joe Garcias and the White Elephant Saloon. What fun we had, and what memories we made.

But there was this thing they did at my house. It was so inconspicuous that I didn't even notice it for the first few days they were with me. Even after I figured it out, it was too precious to expose. I never asked about it, or questioned why they did it ... it was too enchanting to just be in the presence of it.

Any time they were in different rooms, or different locations in the house ... one or the other would give a little bird whistle ... which was answered by the other. It was nothing one would actually notice or pay much attention to, just a sweet little whistle and a faint whistle in answer form the other room. It was just their way of touching base, knowing the other wasn't far away. I'd never known of anything quit that special between two people. I had the rare opportunity to witness a true love shared between life's partners. I found it inspiring and contagious, and I'll hear their whistles from room to room for all time.

With Owain's 40 years plus as a PH, there are no doubt hundreds of stories out there I hope will be shared. I just had the rare moment to know the family man, the husband that loved his Robbie beyond all measure. And it didn't take long to realize you were in the presence of something very special, something to immulate and take note of. Owain inspired so many, but he and Robbie together were the best example of true life's partners I've ever had the pleasure to know.

All my love and respect to you Robbie. You had the best, you had it all.

That's a great story and a bit of a choker. Thanks for sharing it.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure to share a camp with Owain in Chewore North who was hunting tuskless with my friend Rick. Clint Edwards and I got my Elephant bull down early one morning and before we even started pictures Owain and Rick showed up to offer congratulations. While my bull was being skinned Owain privately handed me a piece of petrified mopane. He quietly told me that he found it beside my elephant and to put it in my pack. What a great souvenir that sits on a shelf in my trophy room.

A simple little memory that under most circumstances would hardly mean much, but now that he his gone has a lot of meaning to me.

I hardly knew the man but got to share 2 wonderful weeks in the same camp as him. What I saw in him was a sincere gentleman who had a gentle and calming way like I had never seen. The kind of man you want to emulate.

Rick told me he never felt safer than having Owain beside him with his double .475 No.2.