New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fred Duckworth
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I received an e-mail from Elise Duckworth that Fred has passed away. He's had many problems with his heart and I assume that is what finally did him in. Keeep Elise in your prayers and remember Fred for the excellent hunter, conservationist and author that he was.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Very very sad to hear that and I was privileged to have hunted many of Fred's clients in Zambia. He was one of the greats and put so much effort into Ethiopia.

Elise will be in my prayers.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very very sad news indeed! i was privileged enough to meet him in India late last year for a wedding of a mutual friend. He was one of lifes real characters and I wished I could have spent more time with him. Condolences to his wonderful wife Elise and the rest of their family!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He had A Far From Ordinary Life, well lived. RIP.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I have known Fred for more thirty years, and can now say that my first (and woefully wrong) impression of him was exactly opposite the gentle and intelligent man that he actually was. I had the honor of editing the articles he wrote for Safari magazine and soon found he needed no help in making his stories easy to read and interesting. International big game hunting has lost a legend.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never had the pleasure of making his acquaintance. Condolences to his family.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers to his family.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm about halfway through reading his book. He did what we guys can only dream about. May he rest in peace!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
RIP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He arranged my first rip to Ethiopia in 1982.
I can accurately state that it changed my life.
RIP, Fred.

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I never had the privilege of meeting Fred, but his reputation is larger than life.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read his book and wished I would have had the privileged to meet him.
RIP Fred!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2090 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
RIP Fred. Didn't know him really. Did run into him on a boundary road in the Selous 13 years ago. Peace be with his family.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Fred

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sincerest condolences.

One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
RIP FRED

Posts: 97 | Location: columbus, ohio | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He cast a very large shadow on the land he loved. I know he will be missed by many people who's lives he touched. Sad news.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would someone please post a picture of Fred if you have one? Thank you. MMP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joof Lamprecht named a mountain after Fred on his property in Namibia.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Here's the only one I could find online

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest in Peace.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Phil, and now Fred! How sad! It seems we loose one about every two or three months lately!

These guys are among a cadre of giants! The African hunting world is being dealt a heavy blow with their passing!

My condolences to both families!

...................................................................R.I.P CRYBABY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote