Find
Notify
Tools

QD Mounts for Ruger RSM .458 Lott ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
Sorry for posting on the African Forum� After much toiling, and my recent tuskless ele hunt, I finally ordered a Ruger .458 Lott from a local dealer who just got one in stock. Unable to find Talley rings/base, I went back through the AR archives. I located a post from 11/03 stating that the Warne QD rings are the only game in town (besides Leopold), and that the levers mount on the bolt-lift side (the post said they work okay, although there was some concern from Ray about them coming open and interfering with bolt action).

Although I plan to continue to use open sites for elephant (Will was dead-on with this preference�), I would like to mount a 1.5x5 scope for buffalo and such.

I really like the Talley's�.and wanted to double-check before ordering the Warnes to see if any Ruger owners had ideas/suggestions/feedback.

As always, many thanks!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Someone makes a lever that turns the Ruger rings into QD's.

I remember seeing a photo of it on this site.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was just about to say the same thing as George...
Do a search on Ruger and Levers and I am sure it will produce something..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I found the post and will look into it further. Any add'l suggestions is appreciated.

Problem Scoping Ruger RSM 1/14/04

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

We tried the after market models on our three .416 Rigby rifles. None fit as well as the Ruger rings.

Found this company:

Falcon Industries
P.O. Box 1060
Tijeras, N.M. 87059
(877) 281-3783

They make levers that convert your Ruger ring to a QR ring.

They use a shim system that allows you to get the lever in the position that you like. There is a little 'fiddle factor' with this, but it dosen't take much time.

The price in 2001 was $42.00 for a set. We bought three and got a 20% discount off of that price. If you need more than one set, remember to ask for it. They were great to work with.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Warne 30MM with the Leupold 1.5-5 30MM illuminated scope. A couple of thoughts: They fit fine. The levers are on the bolt side which seems like a dumb design but works ok. My biggest issue is that they are pretty high for me. I might even go back to the Ruger low rings and give up on detachable. Let me know if you decide that you want a set, I might sell mine.

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bill I have the Warne mounts on my Ruger Lott and they are super...I have fired over 300 rounds thru them and have had them of and on and am more then satisfied...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

From the last few posts, it would appear that Warne has improved the fit of their rings on the Ruger. The stud that went down into the groove was too long and the overall fit was sloppy.

If they are 'right-on' as you say now, that is great and would be the way that I would go if I needed to do this again.

Later,

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Warne QD mounts on two Rugers, a .338 and a RSM in .416 Rigby, since 1996. That includes seven trips to Africa.I have the old style with single screws and have had zero problems. I like the rings so much that I recently bought a set of the new two screw Maxima rings to replace the old single screw rings on the Rigby. At first I too thought that having the levers on the bolt side would be a liability, but if you park the levers straight up they stay out of the way and it is a very natural move to just hook your thumb over the lever, pull back, then twirl the lever with your thumb. The way I use them, I take my first shot, immediately dismount the scope and stuff it in my pocket, then carry on. Only takes about ten seconds. Hope this helps a little.
Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote