Find
Notify
Tools

SOCIETY OF GENTLEMEN ADVENTURERS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted
Gentlemen ,i recommend you to join the SGA ON FACEBOOK many many africana there,very interesting old photos, many PHs and a must for any hunter interested in Africa.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
You don't join and you are invited.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
You don't join and you are invited.

+1

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Yes its true you must be invited by another member so if anybody wants to join just tell me .Im a member and i was invite by Stephen Graves a year ago since then i recommended many members .

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the sound of it - and being nothing more than a facebook page I suppose it doesn't much matter, but just exactly how do you define "gentleman" ... (and for that matter, "adventurer") ... Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
It sounds great Juan, but alas, I don't do Facebook.

(I believe it's pure evil.)

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Paraphrasing Mark Twain I believe...or was it WC Fields or Groucho Marks...

I would not be a member of any club that would admit me

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
yuck

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
... but just exactly how do you define "gentleman" ...

we may be found in "Gentlemen's clubs." Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is much more refined than AR.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
It is possible to join without being invited. FB is a pain in the arse so groups need to be closed to keep out the spammers and antis.

It is not a hunting group but an adventurers group which can of course include suitable hunting.

We've had a fair number of very interesting stuff, mountain climbing, war zone stories, survival stories, some quite awful incidents which are still "adventures", run ins with "authorities" Wink, exciting travel, as well as big and dangerous game hunting etc etc

Among the membership are some very interesting characters, some of whom can't actually say much who they are or were. Smiler

The term "Gentleman Adventurer" has particular historical origins, for example, privateers and pirates, the Lado Enclave elephant poachers of the first half of the 20th century.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not be a member of any club that would admit me[/quote]

me2 and then again i'm no gentleman

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I closed my Facebook account last year. I got tired of all the unsolicited emails their computers generated.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
I closed my Facebook account last year. I got tired of all the unsolicited emails their computers generated.

Bill Quimby

I never even thought of joining FB.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume they recognize that some of our adventures are best kept to ourselves. Just joking. Sounds like an interesting club, if I liked clubs.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a member.
Quite a bit different than AR
There are some very interesting things that happen within the club postings and advertisements that a normal person would not expect
As someone else implied, quite a few of these chaps cant possibly let their true identity out

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I was asked to join the local guinea pig owners club - until I asked " was that like a 5 iron or more like a putter ".

Perhaps I misinterpreted the offer. dancing

I dont lead an adventurous enough life to be eligible for such an organisation as originally mentioned ....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I assume they recognize that some of our adventures are best kept to ourselves. Just joking. Sounds like an interesting club, if I liked clubs.

It is an informal society. Just for fun and sharing interests.

Unfortunately WAY too much hum drum hunting posts on it again. Some guys just can't seem to get the idea, that everything is not a run of the mill hunting site.

As I said, lots of interesting people with all sorts of backgrounds, from mercs, special ops, French Foreign Legionnaires, anti terr people, mountain climbers, gulf shipping 'security' types, ex members of 'agencies', normal people who have experience unusual events, sailors, etc etc as well as lots of BG hunters.

Good to occasionally read historical posts too, as somethings nowadays are unfortunately only in history.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Full Roar:
I am a member.
There are some very interesting things that happen within the club postings and advertisements that a normal person would not expect
As someone else implied, quite a few of these chaps cant possibly let their true identity out

And I bet some of those characters make up stories too.

Anonymity breeds lies.

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anonymity breeds lies.

That applies to every internet site regardless of its intended subject matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE6iAjEv9dQ

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Saeed, it would not surprise me in the least

Rory

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Normal AR BS a bunch of wankers who know nothing about the FB page bashing it. For your information the majority of those on the SGA page on FB are members here who got tired of the BS and Bashing for NO good reason.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Normal AR BS a bunch of wankers who know nothing about the FB page bashing it. For your information the majority of those on the SGA page on FB are members here who got tired of the BS and Bashing for NO good reason.

Good luck to them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn those grapes are SOUR!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:

Never fails, does it? clap

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, I think there is less anonymity on most any legit and monitored Facebook page than on basically any online forum. I like AR and I lurk/post here a good bit, but the use of "forum handles" yields more anonymity and more BS than on FB groups. Yes, one can create multiple Facebook accounts, but for some reason people seem less willing to go to this trouble than to create multiple identities on a forum. Many FB groups also have the advantage that members must be referred by someone or "added". Tends to keep things more polite IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tendrams, well stated!

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I think Saeed being on Facebook would be funny as hell. There'd be some interesting posts, particularly from the 'anti' crowd.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:

Isn't that the truth Ed!

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Being people, lots of us will always at least embellish stories, if not outright make them up.
Just look at history of human kind , it is full of it.
It can be downright funny how we are willing to believe one bullshit and dismiss another.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A perfect example of FB is the lionsaid FB page.

They send one of their minions to AR to try to convince us to stop hunting, and we let her post whatever she wants.

In fact, some AR members even assume she is intelligent enough to have a reasonable conversation with.

But, when our members venture to their site, they are immediately banned, and all their posts are deleted.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
A perfect example of FB is the lionsaid FB page.

They send one of their minions to AR to try to convince us to stop hunting, and we let her post whatever she wants.

In fact, some AR members even assume she is intelligent enough to have a reasonable conversation with.

But, when our members venture to their site, they are immediately banned, and all their posts are deleted.

Perfect example of FB? I'd say that's a perfect example of Lionaid, not Face Book itself.

I'm also a member of the SGA site on FB. It's a great place to hang out as well when killing time on the computer. A very wide and diverse range of interests there, centered around experiences of adventure. As Nitro stated, it's often overrun with stories of hunting at times but that's not the primary focus of the group. Lots of guys there with some very interesting pasts, as well as some presents. Lots of military special operations guys for example with some very interesting experiences. Mountain climbers who assault the summits of places like Everest and K2, not simply scaling up the hill to shoot a sheep! Stories of real conservation dollars in action across the globe, not the false "preservationist" actions of farces such as HSUS or for that matter, Lionaid. Stories of car / motorcycle rallies / races across the dessert. Camping in remote, sometimes less than "safe" venues. Working with war or natural disaster refugees.

A great venue with wide ranging stories of adventure and challenges coupled with a focus of keeping the discussions polite without every topic turning nasty after the first 5 or 6 posts. Not the place for the level of in-depth discussions as takes place here on AR, but certainly just as entertaining in it's own right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Full Roar:
I am a member.

Anonymity breeds lies.

Exactly what I was thinking. "Poetic License".

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOB, are you saying the posters on AR have never stretched the truth and sometimes to the breaking point.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GOB:

It's "poetic license" when done by some and "making up stories" when done by others. The distinction is found in the observer...or, more often than not, in the views of "the management".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not. Do not think I said that.

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sherrill Philip Neese
posted Hide Post
I like AR and I like FB. Is FB better than AR? No. Is AR better than FB? No. They are different things. Both have positives and negatives. Yes, a lot of what happens on FB is "time waster" material, but at the same time there are huge benefits to FB. Most people/organizations in the "hunting world" have a FB page. From companies to magazines to hunting "celebrities" to groups that want to discuss whatever subject they are interested in. For companies/organizations it's an outstanding tool for marketing and customer contact. For the user, it gives one the ability to access "loads of information" and obtain direct access to the previously mentioned companies, organizations, and famous people. As evidenced by SGA, it also gives one the chance to group with others of like mind. Yes, this can be done in other ways, but not as easily and not in one place.

As for the time waster stuff, my FB friends can vouch that I am just as guilty of that as anyone... especially when I start posting corny jokes and funny pictures. Smiler

Anyway, to sum things up, FB is a great way for gathering information and connecting with like minded people. I highly recommend it to everyone. At the same time, when I want to get serious information about hunting and hunting in Africa, I go to AR.

DSC, DU, MBS, NRA, QDMA, RGS, RMEF, SCI

"Sherrill. Why do you belong to so many organizations?"
"Well... I have this thing for banquets."

Posts: 115 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sherrill," serious information about hunting and hunting in Africa I go to AR", I hope you haven't been disappointed. I have lately.

One of Us
Picture of Sherrill Philip Neese
posted Hide Post
There is always a little chaff with the wheat. Smiler

DSC, DU, MBS, NRA, QDMA, RGS, RMEF, SCI

"Sherrill. Why do you belong to so many organizations?"
"Well... I have this thing for banquets."

Posts: 115 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looks to me like you did say the above.

Definition of Poetic License:

quote:
license or liberty, esp. as taken by a poet or other writer, in deviating from conventional form, logic, fact, etc., to produce a desired effect.

Some claim Capstick was an out right liar, while others claim he was a frequent user of poetic license.

The problem I have noticed over the years is two fold, what the person writing/relating their story versus how the person's reading said story interpret what was written/described.

As my signature states!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote