Find
Notify
Tools

TSX/X Bullets Recovered in 2006
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Finally had time to photograph bullets recovered during my Newbie hunt in Tanzania.

The first is a 300 grain .375 TSX recovered from a Hartebeast. This was a followup shot on the ground at about 25 yards. The bullet entered the left rump and was recovered from the front of the chest wall after penetrating the entire beast. The bullet's MV was 2604 fps. It retained 100% of its original weight.

The second bullet is a 350 grain .416 caliber Barnes X recovered from a Cape Buffalo. This also was a followup shot taken on the ground at less than 20 yards. MV from the Rigby was 2700 fps. The bullet entered the right rump, broke the right rear leg, traversed the gut, and was recovered in the lungs. It weights 270 grains which is 78% of original weight.

As the PH said, the weight retention of the 350 grain Barnes X was superb given that it smashed the main bone in the rear leg and penetrated 5 foot of Buf.

The third and fourth projectiles are lead balls recovered from the underside of the Buf where they were encysted just under the skin. Obviously old poacher wounds. They weighted 405 and 456 grains respectively.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Wow, 2700 fps out of a 375 and a 416, that's smoking! geat bullets aren't they? jorge

PS: I hope the buff extracted revenge on the offending poacher! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

WOOPS, I typo'd the .375 velocity. Should have been 2604 fps. Good catch! Will edit the post.

Thank you!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Glad to see the 300 TSX worked well as I may use it in a 375 Weatherby for my whole safari next year. I never got to personally use the 350 X in my 416 for buff but I always suspected it would perform as yours did. Obvioulsly a great choice for the job. Those musket balls are a neat trophy in themselves. I have a 50 ish caliber one I cut from the neck of a big eland I killed in Tanzania in '03.

The Moilanen's that you spoke to are having a great time in Mahenge. I'll let them tell the story later but they are seeing a ton of game.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote