Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff -

Lots I agree with, but some things I've learned simply by observation.

If you've ever been to Kruger, why are there so many giant and genetically superior Buffalo and Elephants?

Occam's Razors tells me it's because there is no hunting within the park (proper).

Johnny duPlooy asked me many years ago at dinner one night, "Steve, you've been here 6-7 years straight, what are your observations about the area in that time?" (Chanjuzi/Nyaminga)

My answer was that both the quantity and quality of game has gone down. We used to see lots more Kudu and Cooksons just driving. The buffalo trophy quality has also gone down.

I'm obviously no anti-hunter, but an honest and introspective look into what my eyes tell me, gives me that perspective.

One of the point/counter-points on your list refers to trophy size/vs age. I think there may be some truth to that as well.

We can never be honest with the "on the fence crowd" about our sport if we are not first, honest with ourselves.

Overall, we do far more good, than bad. GMA's are left far better off because of us, not in spite of us.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3396 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair comment Steve! We do need to be honest with ourselves.
No farmer ever improved his herd by selling off his best stock and breeding from the culls.
In Scotland, fifty years ago, it was explained to me before I shot my first Red stag that we would be searching for the worst stag we could find. The best would only be taken when they had "gone back" so far they could no longer hold hinds.
I am as much a hypocrite as any on this forum because I have shot quite a few trophies in their prime out of breeding herds.
If we were serious about long-term conservation and improvement of the herds we would be lobbying african governments for a completely different approach to trophy hunting.
Not that I would expect any change from governments like Ethiopia or Zambia where their only interest in wildlife is how much income it generates for them.
Perhaps instead of only being able to shoot lions over 5 years old we should only be allowed to take lions under 5 and not with a pride. These are the ones that cause most human/wildlife conflict. Leave the black-manes to hold their prides and rear more cubs.
Where there are too many elephants, shooting a few heavy-tusked trophy bulls makes little impact on the total number of eles, but it can have an impact on their genetic potential. Serious culling of females would improve the phenotype of the remainder by leaving more browse to go around but would have no effect on the genetics unless mainly tuskless were removed.
How can a country like Zambia expect trophy hunting to have any impact on their elephant surplus when they charge the same trophy fee for a tuskless cow as a 60lb bull? Hypocrite that I am, I know which I would take at the same money.
I don't expect the proposal to be popular but if we really put the welfare of the species above our own personal gratification we would lobby the relevant governments to ban taking trophy bulls over 30lb a side and halve the bull quota. Tuskless elephants would have no government fee and no limit on their quota and tusked cows would only have a nominal fee.
Having said all that, it wouldn't make any difference to the anti's stance because what they really object to is someone actually enjoying their hunt. It is a political objection not a logical one. They would prefer water holes to be poisoned or "traditional hunters" using snares.
I look forward to all the shit that will now land on my head!

Posts: 295 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Pom:
Fair comment Steve! We do need to be honest with ourselves.
No farmer ever improved his herd by selling off his best stock and breeding from the culls.
In Scotland, fifty years ago, it was explained to me before I shot my first Red stag that we would be searching for the worst stag we could find. The best would only be taken when they had "gone back" so far they could no longer hold hinds.
I am as much a hypocrite as any on this forum because I have shot quite a few trophies in their prime out of breeding herds.
If we were serious about long-term conservation and improvement of the herds we would be lobbying african governments for a completely different approach to trophy hunting.
Not that I would expect any change from governments like Ethiopia or Zambia where their only interest in wildlife is how much income it generates for them.
Perhaps instead of only being able to shoot lions over 5 years old we should only be allowed to take lions under 5 and not with a pride. These are the ones that cause most human/wildlife conflict. Leave the black-manes to hold their prides and rear more cubs.
Where there are too many elephants, shooting a few heavy-tusked trophy bulls makes little impact on the total number of eles, but it can have an impact on their genetic potential. Serious culling of females would improve the phenotype of the remainder by leaving more browse to go around but would have no effect on the genetics unless mainly tuskless were removed.
How can a country like Zambia expect trophy hunting to have any impact on their elephant surplus when they charge the same trophy fee for a tuskless cow as a 60lb bull? Hypocrite that I am, I know which I would take at the same money.
I don't expect the proposal to be popular but if we really put the welfare of the species above our own personal gratification we would lobby the relevant governments to ban taking trophy bulls over 30lb a side and halve the bull quota. Tuskless elephants would have no government fee and no limit on their quota and tusked cows would only have a nominal fee.
Having said all that, it wouldn't make any difference to the anti's stance because what they really object to is someone actually enjoying their hunt. It is a political objection not a logical one. They would prefer water holes to be poisoned or "traditional hunters" using snares.
I look forward to all the shit that will now land on my head!

Great insight and I too am a hypocrite to my own statements. I've been fortunate enough to hunt and kill some simply amazing trophies.

You're also 100% correct about the anti's. They would rather there be no Elephants, than for Elephant sport hunting to exist.

I'll ask Andrew, what are your thoughts? For example, look at the unbelievable trophy quality Sable you've taken. Those old gents are obviously top of gene-pool specimens.

Is there room for a debate amongst sport hunters? I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just throwing out food for thought.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3396 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tuskless elephants would have no government fee and no limit on their quota

If I recall this was implemented in Tanganyika during the British administration when elephants were hunted for ivory and not for sport.

Posts: 1905 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pom,

I agree with a lot of what you said, but not shooting young lions.

Posts: 10017 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, I wouldn't really fancy shooting them myself. I just see them as the most disposable members of the species. A huge percentage get killed by pride lions anyway. Fewer nomadic males equals less pressure on pride males so they hold the pride longer and fewer cubs get killed by new males taking over. Only really relevant where there is a shortage of lions. Parts of Zimbabwe have a surplus so there they should increase the quota on lionesses instead.
I am wide open to debate and alternative ideas!

Posts: 295 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I get what you are saying, I don't think the issue is hunting per se when you comment on decreased game and quality.

What is going on is someone screwing up.

If they are killing the right number via quota then it should pretty much be invisible. The operator should be running the concession for viability, and that would mean when you start seeing changes in your population you start looking in to it and modifying your offtake.

One thing I recalled about Chanjuzi when I hunted there was the number of animals I shot that were for the local chief. While I liked it at the time (more hunting...) I do think that this practice may well have contributed to what you are commenting on.

I also know that the hunting areas are generally designed to be the border areas for the parks and they serve to reduce human/animal conflict for the local populace.

So you will see a combination of population migration from areas with more pressure as well as an offtake result- It takes more than 1-2 years to grow a trophy animal, yet they seem to show up pretty well and quickly when you remove pressure- even in something as mundane as whitetail deer.

Compare results in areas owned by hunters (or with long term leases) to places with relatively short term leases.

Posts: 10616 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
While I get what you are saying, I don't think the issue is hunting per se when you comment on decreased game and quality.

What is going on is someone screwing up.

If they are killing the right number via quota then it should pretty much be invisible. The operator should be running the concession for viability, and that would mean when you start seeing changes in your population you start looking in to it and modifying your offtake.

One thing I recalled about Chanjuzi when I hunted there was the number of animals I shot that were for the local chief. While I liked it at the time (more hunting...) I do think that this practice may well have contributed to what you are commenting on.

I also know that the hunting areas are generally designed to be the border areas for the parks and they serve to reduce human/animal conflict for the local populace.

So you will see a combination of population migration from areas with more pressure as well as an offtake result- It takes more than 1-2 years to grow a trophy animal, yet they seem to show up pretty well and quickly when you remove pressure- even in something as mundane as whitetail deer.

Compare results in areas owned by hunters (or with long term leases) to places with relatively short term leases.

Hi Dr. Butler.

I agree that it should be invisible and genetically advantageous. However, Africa being what it is, the quota's in those specific blocks are not really set by some scientific formula or game count. ( I can't say in other blocks)

The economic quota and the scientific quota should be identical, they are not.

It's not unlike one of the rivers I fish in Brazil. When they opened it up with a couple exploratory trips, they began to develop camps and other infrastructure. In the beginning, there were 8, 7 fishing day groups. Then 10, then 12, then 16.

I fished that river for about 12 years. I saw both the quantity and quality of the fishing go down, drastically.

A river can come back much faster than a wild game population. (I think). Again, economics over science.

I do understand the need to profit from expenditures to develop these wild places.

Formerly "Nganga"