Ganyana and lions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted
Posted at the request of Ganyana.

[

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos!! Thank you for posting them! thumb

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess this answers the question about why Ganyana doesn't need to back up on any dodgy shots. Just let the cats loose. dancing

Posts: 146 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 06 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Just need the bull whip now, you'd be a better and much more convincing Indiana Jones!

~Ann

Posts: 19560 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Those are unbelievably cool pics as a Lion can be such a majectic and calm animal - that sometimes turn into poweful, organised, intense and fierce killers.

Johan

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Bahati,

Interesting you say that as the female veterinary officer in the second photo is reported to have been attacked and dragged a considerable distance by one of the lions at the conclusion of this exercise. Ganyana will perhaps tell us the rest of the story.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He does look like Indiana Jones. knife

Those cats sure blend in with the grass. I like the 2nd photo...looks like a big dog sitting there.

I'm always interested to hear more about the lion projects.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THERE IS AN OLD AFRICAN SAYING : It is the dead ones that will get up and kill you.

The corolary to that is : It is the "tame" ones that will get you too !

wild animals are wild animals.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shangaan:
I guess this answers the question about why Ganyana doesn't need to back up on any dodgy shots. Just let the cats loose. dancing

Works, as long as you like European mounts!

I'm a little surprised at the .44 magnum, not that it's not an excellent choice - but I figured it was that famous .41 magnum he used to outshoot most of the other revolver shooters at Cleveland.

Posts: 41 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have friend in Gweru that had a lot of them and walked them regularly. If you have never had your hand licked by a big lioness you don't know what a wood rasp feels like pulled across your skin. To tell the truth they scared hell out of me but they were beautiful. When they purr the walls rattle literally.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No lion is ever "tame". Some are just more habituated to people than others. People who think they are cute and take chances invarably need suturing at some stage!

By the time they are 6 months old, they have ceased to be "pets"

Rolly - A S&W 329 is alot lighter to carry than the old M58!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE CAT.

Now, that would give paws to most other animals that might want to eat you.

I suspect she's probably the best tracker you've ever had, as well.

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GS:

Is that a lioness? I thought it was a young male (with an incipient mane already showing)!

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b.martins:
quote:
Originally posted by GS:

Is that a lioness? I thought it was a young male (with an incipient mane already showing)!

B.Martins

Wow. I think that is a baby boy. You're right...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it will point and retrieve birds I'll be really impressed...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10539 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent pictures.......What were all five of you looking at in the second picture?

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were watching the lioness' have a try at some hartebeest. Not that even at 2 years old the lion is taking the usual male role Wink...Hurry up girls I want my dinner!!!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How cool is that?!! I would guess that their solo success rate is fairly low?

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
GANYANA IS ALWAYS THE BEST,he lives in a country were you need to be raised with a rifle at hand ,for DG and two legs predators as well ,the experience of ganayana is invaluable ,WATCH YOUR SIX MY FRIEND.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
No lion is ever "tame". Some are just more habituated to people than others. People who think they are cute and take chances invarably need suturing at some stage!

By the time they are 6 months old, they have ceased to be "pets"

Rolly - A S&W 329 is alot lighter to carry than the old M58!

Yep. Good friend of mine in El Salvador rescued five cubs from traveling circuses and raised them in his house. They now reside happily in a valley he bought out in the bush in very roomy enclosures and he is missing the tip of his right middle finger. The reason I say "happily" is there are now eleven of them, eating extremely well with their own valley to cavort in.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the story behind the missing finger? Sounds like the lions are in a fenced enclosure...what are they eating...deer?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're in fenced enclosures, but extremely large ones. He has a vet on retainer who manages his cats, and I don't know what they eat, (likely horsemeat, and a lot of it), but they are in beautiful shape.

He lost the tip of his finger scratching one's head. Taco bit it off.

I don't know how much you're aware of the conditions to be found in Central American circuses, but these cats are in heaven compared to the squalor he rescued them from.

He also has a breeding pair of jaguars, two pumas, and several other animals.

In case you mistake him for a tree hugger, he's returning to TZ on a 21 day next July, his sixth safari.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you get any photos? I would love to see the breeding pair of jaguars.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'll have to upload them and post them. He has them in an enclosure on his patio. The female just birthed three kits, and he was holding her while she did it. Wish I had pictures of that.

The female absolutely loves him, but he doesn't enter the enclosure with the tom.

Edit:

First one is the tom, (if I did this right.)

The jaguar has been almost hunted to extinction in CA. He's doing a great job of keeping them going.

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
Judging by the size of his front paws, I can imagine the young tom in the bottom photo (of the lion photo) is going to be very big. His paws appear to be as long as human's feet!

quote:
People who think they are cute and take chances invarably need suturing at some stage!

I can imagine. I have been exposed to one big cat: A "tame"-appearing cougar cub. The little guy was irresistible and had lots of personality. But his teeth were also about an inch long and I knew that he could have easily taken off one of my fingers. I did enjoy playing with him and taking care of him for a short while. But I didn't allow myself to harbor any illusions.

However, he's still in captivity, being raised by a couple of loving (foolish?) but knowledgeable individuals, and is reportedly as happy as a pig in sunshine. Apparently he's just a big kitty cat to them, and he still enjoys human company and interaction.

But in the back of my mind are some big doubts about the wisdom of such a practice. For a pet, I'll just be happy with my sassy, clumsy black housecat named Lucy!

PS. Good job with the photos, jetdrvr. Beautiful cats!

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Thanks for posting. That's quite a hobby.