Find
Notify
Tools

Karl Hauptmann rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted
Guys! I'm looking to built a custom made rifle in 375 HH with Mauser 98 action. Was approached by people from karl Hauptmann company (Austria). Have somebody heard anything about them? I'm looking for European manufacturer of custome made rifles.

Never buy your gun from "Hendersot's sporting goods inc."

Posts: 70 | Location: London UK | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Hauptmann makes good rifles no doubt there.
However you should consider Hartmann & Weiss in Hamburg, they will make you the best!!!

http://www.nawr.com/hw.pdf

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerd Hauptmann owner of Karl Hauptmann Rifles is a good guy and he know how to make an accurate Rifle. He offers quality guns but he is not cheap. He is next Scheiring and Hambrusch one of the Top Three Gun Makers in Ferlach.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russian:
Guys! I'm looking to built a custom made, [by a European firm] rifle in 375 HH with Mauser 98 action.

Reimer Johannsen rifles are worth your time to examine.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys very much. The thing is the quote - 61 000 Eur, what do you think in terms of comparisson to the other guys you sugested? I have Mauser M03, number of Blazers but always was thinking to have M98 in collection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it might be helpful if you could provide a rough idea of the price range you want to spend -- I'm by no means knowledgeable, but there's a wide world of M98s with a wide variety of prices.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
Up to 30000 Euro

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
For 30,000 Euro or 50,000 dollars you could have a rifle built buy anyone in America excepting David Miller and Kurt Crum.

I would suggest Hartmann and Weiss or Martini and Hagn.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
Dear D99!
You have 2 web sites mentioned at the end of your post. Could you tell me a bit more especially about one which has an office in Moscow because I'm stationed in Moscow now myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Russian!
Here in France, we have some guys who specialize in this kind of products.
I personnaly bought 2 years ago a JP Ridon 375 H&H based on original M98 Mauser made by Steyr Austria (about 1909)with a 26" Lothar Walter barrel (Germany) and I'm very happy with it!
Unfortunatly JP Ridon decided last year to sale his activity to continue his old and first job (guide in Africa)but now the best one IMO is Eric Briano in Montrouge (92- west of Paris) who specialize in African rifles for several clients and also guides.
He makes very nice rifles based on FN or CZ systems for about 3 to 4000€.
The problem is that he does not have web site and I am not sure he speak english.
Best Regards
REY 375

Posts: 71 | Location: France close to Paris | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi again Russian,
FYI: if you want something closer to old british rife based on Mauser 98 with a lot of possible options have a look at this:
http://www.dorleac-dorleac.com/pgs_fr/index_bis.htm
Of course prices depend on your choice!
Regards

Posts: 71 | Location: France close to Paris | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
Appreciate it. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$30,000 euros sure is a lot of money for a bolt action rifle. Here in the US I'd have a tough time spending much over $8-$9,000 US $. $6,500 US $ buys you an outstanding rifle from lots of custom makers.

Now if I really wanted to blow some cash I'd go to Holland and Holland or Westley Richards for a bolt action rifle. Both will build them on M98 actions and even the H&H is less then 20K Euros. A Westley Richards with every option selected is "only" 15K euros.

You could even look at buying two used classic British rifles in outstanding condtion from even the most expensive dealers for less then 30K euros.

http://www.hollandandholland.com/gunrooms/london/bespok...tion_magazine_rifle/

http://www.westleyrichards.com/gun/new_build_bolt_1.html

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Hi Russian,

Heritage Arms is a small boutique firearms and ephimeria store owned by a friend of mine by the name of Aleko Jensen in Salt Lake, Utah. He is a stocking Blaser dealer among other rifles and sells a wide variety of leather goods and custom knives.

Safari Outfitters is one of the largest and oldest hunting booking companies in the world. A friend of mine by the name of Clark Jeffs is one of their sales people, and he is the primary booking agent on the American side for hunts in Europea, Asia, and North America. They also have a branch in Moscow, that is headed by a Russian docter.

Safari Outfitters is special as they have been in this Asian sheep hunting business since the 1960s and have never been in trouble with the US Fish and Wildlife Service or the wildlife agencies of many foreign goverments around the world.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
$30,000 euros sure is a lot of money for a bolt action rifle. Here in the US I'd have a tough time spending much over $8-$9,000 US $. $6,500 US $ buys you an outstanding rifle from lots of custom makers.

Now if I really wanted to blow some cash I'd go to Holland and Holland or Westley Richards for a bolt action rifle. Both will build them on M98 actions and even the H&H is less then 20K Euros. A Westley Richards with every option selected is "only" 15K euros.

You could even look at buying two used classic British rifles in outstanding condtion from even the most expensive dealers for less then 30K euros.

I think you will find the price of a H&H is about 26000 euro not 20000.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
quote:

I think you will find the price of a H&H is about 26000 euro not 20000.

I was going by this

It does look like you could add options to get it to that 26K euro point though.

One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
What is the better way to proceed directly or through the gun dealer? Actually Kaufman did not give me the price breakdown, I dont think it's right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my money, I would find a top maker here in the U..S., a Grantite Mountain action, nice piece of French Walnut: Spend approximatel $20,000 and have a better rifle.

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russian:
Thank you guys very much. The thing is the quote - 61 000 Eur, what do you think in terms of comparisson to the other guys you sugested? I have Mauser M03, number of Blazers but always was thinking to have M98 in collection.

Boy 61,000 Euros = $89,000 is scary. For that kind of money you could buy 3 to 5 M98 rifles and they would be heirlooms. Try Prechtl or Karl Heinz Ritterbusch. Or better yet buy a GMA action like suggested and have Reto Buehler build you a rifle. Buehler does some top notch work in the classical european tradition and is in the U.S.. With the low dollar you can build a rifle that will be stunning for under 20k.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
for you budget you can't go wrong with a Ritterbusch
Web Site

Posts: 266 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the kind of money you are talking you could buy all 4 of these!

http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail.cfm?id=100010331&string=act=adv

http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail.cfm?id=100036296&string=act=adv

$10,000 US buys you so much gun I can't imagine spending more. You certainly wouldn't be getting a finer rifle then these Hoffmans!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

$10,000 US buys you so much gun I can't imagine spending more. You certainly wouldn't be getting a finer rifle then these Hoffmans!

www.registeredmagnum.com

This Rifles are nothing compare Hauptmanns Masterwork IMO...

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
quote:

www.registeredmagnum.com

Seloushunter

He is certainly talented and I'm sure it is expensive to have that work done but to me less is more.

I'll take the classic understated English style rifle anyday.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The rising star of German bolt action rifle builders is Ralph Paschen. You can e-mail him at SR007@gmx.com That is, if his e-mail address hasn't changed since a year ago.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russian, I would contact Holland & Holland, and have a bespoke rifle made to your measurements.
I also like Riemer johanssen and ritterbusch, as second and 3rd choices. its unllikelay any one of these houses has a Moscow office, but you can check.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
здравÑтвулте Russian,

If you want to go with Holland and Holland they are set to open a showroom in Moscow shortly. Just send them an e-mail and you'll get more details. I have heard that several of the Ferlach houses were also set to open showrooms in Moscow. If you want more details, let me know and I'll be glad to get them for you.

There are several highly reputable gunmakers enjoying a current renaissance in gunmaking and it might be best to check a few out and buy what you like most. You will get several good recommendations but you will have to be the final judge in any case.

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
For that kind of money, look no further than Hartmann & Weiss.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
Hey People!
I did not expect at all that the whole discussion would be so helpful. Now I got a number of names to go through. The question is still remains, I live in Moscow now what might be the procedure to narrow down the list and how to approach the matter further? I think better to ask those manufacturers themselves?

One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
quote:

www.registeredmagnum.com

Seloushunter

He is certainly talented and I'm sure it is expensive to have that work done but to me less is more.

I'll take the classic understated English style rifle anyday.

Is it possible that this price from the dealer for Hauptmann rifle is a true one?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be stocked in walnut? If not, and you are primarily interested in performance (not just accuracy) check into D'Arcy Echols.

It's been said that Americans produce the best rifles, the British the best side-by-side shotguns and the Italians the best over-unders. Exceptions always exist but it's a good rule of thumb.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Johannsen rifles in 375 and 416 Rigby with built in EAW mounts and Swarovski PH scopes as new that I would sell for $11K each. I can't imagine any reason for 30,000 Euros unless they have out of this world engraving.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I have Johannsen rifles in 375 and 416 Rigby with built in EAW mounts and Swarovski PH scopes as new that I would sell for $11K each. I can't imagine any reason for 30,000 Euros unless they have out of this world engraving.

I have the same feeling, thats why after I've got a quote I dicided to check around. Here in Russia some things are a bit more expensive than in US. For example for M03 three barrels fifle I have paid 8 000 Euro, Blazer over and under here cost 6000 euro.

One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
Guys!
I have contacted people you advise me. I got an advise that octagonal barrel is not the best option and it's worse then the rounded one in terms of price and accuracy. Do you have any idea is it right or wrong?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Octagonal barrels are more expensive to make -- although, it should be trivial, given the price range of rifles you're looking at. As for accuracy... It's a hunting rifle, and I'm sure it will be more than adequate for that purpose. Have you contacted the manufacturers directly, to see if they can export to you/have someone who can do so? In theory, you could take a hunting trip to the US, buy the rifle here, and take it back with you -- at least, as far as the US is concerned (visiting hunters are allowed to buy hunting arms, or at least, they were.).

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Octagonal barrels are more expensive to make -- although, it should be trivial, given the price range of rifles you're looking at. As for accuracy... It's a hunting rifle, and I'm sure it will be more than adequate for that purpose. Have you contacted the manufacturers directly, to see if they can export to you/have someone who can do so? In theory, you could take a hunting trip to the US, buy the rifle here, and take it back with you -- at least, as far as the US is concerned (visiting hunters are allowed to buy hunting arms, or at least, they were.).

I agrre it is possible to buy. The problem is to bring it in. I think I'll narrow the choice in the next couple weeks. Yes I'm staying in touch with manufacturers through Internet now, but will make a trip after I'll make a choice. I think Europe will be closer to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm staying in touch with manufacturers through Internet now, but will make a trip after I'll make a choice. I think Europe will be closer to me.

Europe is not only Closer they also have far better Rifles IMO...

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russian
If you are looking for an English gunmaker look at T. T. Proctor. He specialises in African calibres and offers a personalised service.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
The rising star of German bolt action rifle builders is Ralph Paschen. You can e-mail him at SR007@gmx.com That is, if his e-mail address hasn't changed since a year ago.

Wink! have you ordered rifle from Ralph personally?

One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

I have made an appointment with Ritterbusch and Ralph Paschen. I have asked both to show production. It looks like Ralph has a problem with that. What an experience you have with him?